Cairns copter cruise

Going to inspect some details of the life around Cairns. Question one: Does the baggage loading crew in YBCS pay enough attention to valuable luggage?

c3X81.jpg

Seems to be acceptable, so we take off across Barron river ...

Bs9g8.jpg

... towards Green Island. Not sure if the helipads reflect reality, but they call for a landing ...

Ltx9d.jpg

... to catch up passangers. Oh, sorry, there is just one seat left on this flight  8) !

bC6D1.jpg

It pays to have sunglasses when flying to the reef:

HQLUt.jpg

Look, Vlasoff Cay is not the most crowded place around. But we can take a seat ...

y0lxP.jpg

Returning to the mainland we inspect Little Fitzroy Island Lighthouse (working perfect)...

2Tkgw.jpg

... before dropping off my passenger at the Shangri-La. For the next flight there are suddenly 5 empty seats on board...

D2Ghx.jpg

"Ladies and Gentleman, this is the beautiful City of Cairns. It was founded ..."

Zjw61.jpg

OK, earned some money to refuel the copter. And there is even some leftover to refuel the pilot.  ::)

WE8H.jpg

PS: This is my post #900. Slowly creeping to higher numbers...

Outstanding flight..I enjoyed the shots and narration very much.

How you managed to take off from that white sandy beach while there was still daylight is beyond me, though.  I may well have parked up there until the sun went down....or the tide came in.

What a brilliant spot...

Outstanding flight..I enjoyed the shots and narration very much.

How you managed to take off from that white sandy beach while there was still daylight is beyond me, though.  I may well have parked up there until the sun went down....or the tide came in.

What a brilliant spot...

+1 - Great water reflections Gerold . 

Brad

Very nice shots Gerold, and I like to see you fly a helicopter and find out that this is the way to discover all the details in the scenery. I always discover new scenery with flying in a helicopter.

Peter

What a great tour. Cairns looks wonderful; I did pass through the terminal on my way to live in NZ in '96, had an argument with the customs guy about my parachute. Based on your tour, I'd love to go visit.

Thanks

Excellent set Gerold.

You capture the tropical scenery so well and great story too.

Well done on your first 900 posts.

What a great tour. Cairns looks wonderful; I did pass through the terminal on my way to live in NZ in '96, had an argument with the customs guy about my parachute. Based on your tour, I'd love to go visit.

Thanks

Hey Jeff what airline were you flying to want to take a parachute with you?

<snip>

Hey Jeff what airline were you flying to want to take a parachute with you?

I honestly can't remember! Long time ago. It was a little surreal. I'd flown from the UK and this was the third stop for the fourth and final leg to AKL. I had had my parachute with me, in a bag, as cabin luggage the whole way so far. As it went through the scanner the customs guy stopped it and got me to open the bag. He asked what it was. I told him it was a parachute and he said I wasn't allowed to take it in the cabin. Being worth $14k, I said I had done so on the previous three flights, didn't see the problem and it was too valuable to go in the hold. He insisted I couldn't take it. I asked why and he said the other passengers wouldn't like it! I told him that was ridiculous and that he had an x-ray machine and even he didn't know what it was so how would the passengers know? Anyway, he stood up full height from his chair, looked down at me and said "are you trying to be funny son?". I decided that maybe I shouldn't push this and asked him what could we do as I couldn't just leave it behind. He said he would speak to the flight crew; he did; they didn't care, and on I went. Phew! Funny in hindsight, but frustrating at the time.

Archived