John Venema

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FTX GB England (ENG)

FTX GB Wales (WLS)

FTX GB Scotland (SCO)

FTX GB Northern Ireland (NIR)

Whilst I'm delighted by the news of the British Isles, the absence of Southern Ireland is less than pleasing to me.

Maybe it's something to be disclosed at a later date, but the lack of a mention doesn't fill me with the same glee everyone else is feeling!

Hope to see it at some stage, but for now I guess I'm staying in the North West USA.

Ireland is not part of GB but will be the region developed immediately after GB NIR, which makes sense of course :)

When I see NIR included, I wondered if a fraction of my beautiful country is all that's going to be covered.

Now I know, I fell a lot better.

Saves some money in the long run, I was just about to spend a few €'s on teh VFR packs available at the moment.

I hope some dialog between Eiresim and yourself means I can use Terry's Airports with your scenery.

But that can wait for the time being.

You know, as a Brit, whose family and home are in the NW USA (CRM region to be precise) and currently working in Northern CA, there are times I think ORBX was founded for my own personal benefit!

Its all coming together in the perfect order!

This is awesome news... but...

Am I right in acknowledging that we would not be able to do an ultra long-haul flight from FTX GB to FTX AU because of the need to use the FTX Central tool to switch from one region to the next?

Not that it really matters to me (I have only done one, maybe two QF flights from the UK to AU with FSX) but I just wanted to ascertain that this will be the case.

Regardless, I'm tickled pink to see Great Britain finally get the FTX makeover!!!! My happiest days in the USAF were spent flying through the Mach Loop!!! It'll be great to see what you guys do in that area!

We are unlikely to upgrade the base airports in GB because of all the third party airports already available, so getting full compatibility will simply be a scenery library layering issue. So GB will be more like FTX AU versus PNW etc.

Fair enough for England, Wales & Scotland. But maybe you could consider it for NI & Eire - the existing coverage for airports on the island of Ireland is scant at best, regardless of territorial boundaries. And there's only 50 or so airfields, even including fields not in the default, so it isn't a huge task (compared to the 400+ in PNW...). Plus most of them are nothing more than a runway, so they'd really benefit from a little TLC.

Ireland is a beautiful country, and it'll be really good to see it in its pristine emerald green (it is the Emerald Isle, after all), rather than the drab 'Microsoft Desert Brown' 8)

This is awesome news... but...

Am I right in acknowledging that we would not be able to do an ultra long-haul flight from FTX GB to FTX AU because of the need to use the FTX Central tool to switch from one region to the next?

Not that it really matters to me (I have only done one, maybe two QF flights from the UK to AU with FSX) but I just wanted to ascertain that this will be the case.

Regardless, I'm tickled pink to see Great Britain finally get the FTX makeover!!!! My happiest days in the USAF were spent flying through the Mach Loop!!! It'll be great to see what you guys do in that area!

I would just do what I do now for the ultra long flights from PNW, to Oz. I pause and save the flight over the ocean, once I'm about half way, and just exit out, load whichever one I'm flying toward and continue on my way. Although sometimes I just turn it off, if I'm making multiple hops across the Pacific and turn on whichever region is required, using the over water pause/save/change/reload system.

It's a bit of a hassle, but considering what it allows Orbx to do with scenery, I can definitely live with it. ;)

Personally I don't need it. Hilly terrain in the sim doesn't look nearly as interesting as in real life. I'd love to get my hands on Scandinavia since that's just more interesting when it comes to terrain.

Plus I've got good photoreal stuff and tons of fun airports for the Uk, NL, DE.

Nyxx said; 'So with no airport upgrades like PNW all UK 2000 airports will fit and work with Orbx UK?'

If you mean the UK2K airports Nyxx, they'll not be suitable in their present form. They, like most others in England Scotland and Wales have been made especially for Photo Scenery which has meant placing them in their right locations and with their right runway directions and having flattens to correct the wrong elevations in the FSX scenery that the photo scenery doesn't cover.

With maybe a few exceptions, I'm afraid that the Orbx scenery drawing on and perhaps enhancing the default airports is all you're likely to be able to get.

I'm with you Mithrin. I have too much invested in the real Photo Scenery for the UK to even think of the alternative Orbx will be offering. Mind you, I suspect thousands will as it'll certainly work out much cheaper!

John

If you remove the Trees, UK Ano, Power Project and UK2000 contributions along with Scotflight Stuff and I am sure many other addons that I have failed to

mention. You are left with something that in reallity has had its day. Photo scenery was great in its time, when John F from Visual Flight, introduced it for FS8.

But over the years and with input from many folk it was transformed from its original concept. The bare bones package is now very lacking by todays

expectations.

I think I am right in saying that the last 2 packages released dont even have nigh lighting. They certainly don't mention it in the sales pitch. Hece I never

bothered to add it to the collection.

The time it seems has come for a refreshing change......bring it on !!

I should have shown more enthusiasm instead as parts of Europe gets ORBX treatment now.

ANY area getting the Orbx treatment is something to get excited about, especially if its an area you'll never be likely to experience in the real world. The UK has some very nice payware airports to fly into, and I'm looking forward to adding that region to my flight simulator. I just wish it wasn't going to be a full year before I get it.

Archived