Orbx expands UK development team, announces FTX EU Series

John Venema

Indeed ES have done a superb job on the Channel Islands and we have no intention on reinventing the wheel on those.

I have emailed Darren from ES to see if pur custom autogen can co-exist without having to swap FTX regions. Sadly no reply from him yet :(

We regard ES as a peer; they have come closest to what Orbx achieves with scenery in terms of detail, imagery and modelling.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is incredibly awesome news, JV!! I can't wait to see the new screenshots. I hope they are just as extremely beautiful as the RL shots that were posted here earlier in this thread.

Thanks a lot for the heads up!!

Cheers, mate!!

• 3 months later...

Come on blokes, suck it in. This, for me, is a highly anticipated scenery - so I wait in contained impatience.

But it will have to be good, otherwise you Poms will come out of your trees with flamethrowers.

Therefore Orbx will try and get it as right as possible, until one of you sees a stray building in Somerset Murders or Miss Marple in the Cotswolds .. then there will be tears, flames and imprecations.

Come on blokes, suck it in. This, for me, is a highly anticipated scenery - so I wait in contained impatience.

But it will have to be good, otherwise you Poms will come out of your trees with flamethrowers.

Therefore Orbx will try and get it as right as possible, until one of you sees a stray building in Somerset Murders or Miss Marple in the Cotswolds .. then there will be tears, flames and imprecations.

Are you making reference to us being whingeing poms? haha

:lol: :lol: As a Pom who lived amongst the 'crow eaters' for two and a half years, I shall still fly as much in FTX AU as FTX England. Give me Para Field any sunny day. ;)

Good on you Poms for taking my sledging so nicely. I flew lots of hours out of Parafield where our Navajo was hangared and positioned to Adelaide for the owner. There was a really good set ATC route between the two, a whole 4 minutes flight.

Paul, were you at the U of Adelaide?

Indeed ES have done a superb job on the Channel Islands and we have no intention on reinventing the wheel on those.

I have emailed Darren from ES to see if pur custom autogen can co-exist without having to swap FTX regions. Sadly no reply from him yet :(

We regard ES as a peer; they have come closest to what Orbx achieves with scenery in terms of detail, imagery and modelling.

Im praying to higher forces that It will work with Orbx. Isles of Scilly Is really up to Orbx quality, maybe even better(I said maybe :P It's the fact that the whole islands are photoreal and with matching autogen that triggers me)

I saw they were selling Horizon's UK scenery and so I wondered.

but I will stick with Orbx.

Yeah, they make trees for Horizon photo scenery. I think thats why their selling it on their site.

But their "Channel Islands" and "Isles of Scilly" products Is great, If you're into Orbx they are really wort trying, looks good even at 200 feet just like orbx and there is alot of "flows" going on in their scenery, people, birds, tractors, construction machines working, boats, sounds, great athmosphere. The Islands really feels Alive an they are photoreal.

I'm a Orbx junkie and will continue buying Orbx products as long as I live and the company exist but I discovered that Earth Simulations can do great things too for "low and slow" flyers like me.

(Sorry Orbx for my Earth Simulations commercial :ph34r: )

Really hope Orbx UK will be compitable with their Channel Islands scenerys ::)

Earth Simulations and Horizon are definitely completely separate companies.

John

Good.

You see, the thing about Orbx is that when you buy a product they advertise, you actually get that product... and not just 40% of the product with a promise that it will be completed sometime in the next three years... yeesh! :)

Kaboki - Thanks. I may look into that but Id rather Orbx do the area. Are they going to? Isnt it part of the future plans? Being a guy from the Chesapeake Bay region, I dont actually know where the Channel Islands are :wacko: - nevermind - one page back - top post...hmmmm...

ya know, something Im looking forward to is the Scotland region. Im part Scottish apparently. I saw Craig Ferguson do a week of shows from there (with Mila Kunis and Micheal Clark Duncan - who recently passed away) but there were some really pretty areas and scenery. love to see that done.

Kaboki - Thanks. I may look into that but Id rather Orbx do the area. Are they going to? Isnt it part of the future plans? Being a guy from the Chesapeake Bay region, I dont actually know where the Channel Islands are :wacko: - nevermind - one page back - top post...hmmmm...

Havent you seen this:

And after that statement he said this:

quote from John Venema:

"Also had a great meeting with Darren and Vicki Vincent from EarthSimulations and we will be making a joint announcement with them soon."

Here is some of my own expirince with these scenerys: http://forum.avsim.n...y/#entry2482820 You may have to be registerd to see those screenshots though....

JV sorry to follow up, but by ES sceneries do you mean the photoreal Generation X series?

If so that would be a tremendous step forward as they sadly lack autogen ie a 3D effect ( or they did in the past when I first bought them, although I think it was a different company that produced them!)

JV sorry to follow up, but by ES sceneries do you mean the photoreal Generation X series?

If so that would be a tremendous step forward as they sadly lack autogen ie a 3D effect ( or they did in the past when I first bought them, although I think it was a different company that produced them!)

I think he means the pure ES sceneries like the Channel Islands and Isles of Scilly.

Isn't Generation X series made by Horizon? And ES added trees to it with their Treescapes product(Correct me if im wrong)

Good on you Poms for taking my sledging so nicely. I flew lots of hours out of Parafield where our Navajo was hangared and positioned to Adelaide for the owner. There was a really good set ATC route between the two, a whole 4 minutes flight.

Paul, were you at the U of Adelaide?

No Ian. My dad was in the RAF and was attached to the RAAF at Edinburgh ( his second tour in Australia after Woomera some years previously ). We lived in Elizabeth, and often had traffic overhead going into or out of Parafield. :)

FTX is not compatible with Horizon VFR photoreal at all within a region, just in the same way as it's not compatible with GEX or UTX or MegaScenery Earth etc. To clarify, Photoreal addons always override landclass-based addons regardless of display priority. Thus, people won't be able to keep the UK PR products active and have FTX ENG coverage at the same time. However until we release Wales, Scotland etc, you could in theory have FTX England installed and when you cross the boundary to Scotland you could continue to use Horizon's photoreal product.

ES sceneries are stand-alone photoreal + autogen islands in the English Channel and as such you can run them concurrently with FTX England as long as you place them higher in the scenery library priority within FSX. We will be testing this over the coming weeks and the user guide will include full instructions about how to make ES co-exist.

.....Holger set the boundary of the England region to not include the channel islands.....

Just for clarification John are the borders going to be "political" (national boundaries) or "Geographic" (specific Lat. & Lon.)? or will there be an overlap in coverage for the seperate regions of the mainland?

Geoff

JV. You've just sparked a thought, (yes I know it's a slow process). I have been in the habit of running FTX North American scenery on top of UTX and GEX with the idea that as I flew out of Orbx scenery I would have a better scenery than default below me.

I don't get any obvious graphical conflicts but loading is slow and CTDs are frequent. I take it I should uninstall UTX completely. If it was possible to remove those parts of UT from the areas over which Full Terrain scenery operates that might be better. Is this possible? Although I find crawling through scenery locations not hard, but confusing for my tired old head, could you suggest how I might remove the conflicting scenery. I of course prefer Orbx absolutely, but I don't like even the P3D default - although it is marginally better than the FSX version.

And another thought. I take it GEX is totally incompatible as well?

JV. You've just sparked a thought, (yes I know it's a slow process). I have been in the habit of running FTX North American scenery on top of UTX and GEX with the idea that as I flew out of Orbx scenery I would have a better scenery than default below me.

I don't get any obvious graphical conflicts but loading is slow and CTDs are frequent. I take it I should uninstall UTX completely. If it was possible to remove those parts of UT from the areas over which Full Terrain scenery operates that might be better. Is this possible? Although I find crawling through scenery locations not hard, but confusing for my tired old head, could you suggest how I might remove the conflicting scenery. I of course prefer Orbx absolutely, but I don't like even the P3D default - although it is marginally better than the FSX version.

And another thought. I take it GEX is totally incompatible as well?

I do the same thing as you mate with UTX+GEX, and I don't have this problems.

PS. When you release England, then UT Europe comes into play for me.

Now I understand that you don't like commenting on other products but these are installations that can be run in different areas without conflict but need to be removed when one overlays the other.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I would like to know about GEX Europe and UTX Europe and Uk2000 Airports .

I live in England and own about 7 orbx products so can't wait for ftx England. But would like to know if it will work with above as I will want to continue to use uk2000 airports and GEX and UTX Europe for when I fly out the Uk to for example France.

Archived