Orbx expands UK development team, announces FTX EU Series

John Venema

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I don't need it. Hilly terrain in the sim doesn't look nearly as interesting as in real life. I'd love to get my hands on Scandinavia since that's just more interesting when it comes to terrain.

Plus I've got good photoreal stuff and tons of fun airports for the Uk, NL, DE.

Agree !! Scandinavia and there especial Norway is the 1st interesting Flying Aera for VFR- and IFR Pilots in Europe. 2nd are the Alpes and there for VFR the "Altiports" like Courchevel and Megeve. The Rest of Europe is more or less covered or boring.

Achim

Living in the middle of the Alps myself, I'm really looking forward to a terrain, which is so different to what I'm used to in real life. And you mountain lovers, have you never been to Scotland and Wales? There are enough mountains for your pleasure. For me one draw back of Scandinavia is the lack of real world airports. There are by far not as many airports than there are in the UK and Ireland. Also the British Isles are much more diverse on a much smaller scale than Scandinavia is, which is a benefit for us low and slow flyers.

Good on you orbx!

Wolfgang

For me one draw back of Scandinavia is the lack of real world airports. There are by far not as many airports than there are in the UK and Ireland.

Wolfgang

But the Scandinavian Fjords are made by Slartibartfass, :D Not the Scottish...

There are many Norwegian Airports. https://www.ippc.no/ippc/index.jsp

Achim

Will Orbx be updating farm strips and the like for UK (I think you said you'll not to do the larger fields as they well covered already)?

To be fair this is the least exciting product planned from my POV as I have the photo scenery and I can't decide if seeing my 2D house and surrounding area is better than a generic 3D representation. Hopefully someone I know will buy it so I can have butchers.

I wonder what the time line is?

1 year?

2 year?

JV wrote in his original post "Over the coming months we will begin to arrange the necessary contracts, licensing of source data, staff training and then GB England production will commence in March with a view to release in December 2012."

Cheers, Wolfgang

Just seen this announcement today - fantastic news; I hope it all works out. It will be great to see the ORBX treatment of Northern Ireland - I used to live at the foot of the Mourne mountains - an accurate rendition of that "area of outstanding natural beauty" has been missing for too long in the Flight Sim world!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best "region wise" way to go is : 1. England & New Wales

2. Scotland

3. Ireland (the hole island)

Just 3 more compact regions instead of 4 (possible 5 with Republic of Ireland)

I think England and New South Wales would be good ;D also Freud must be on the loose here in the description of Ireland LOL

??? What on earth has New South Wales got to do with it?

I think a short geography lesson is in order. The UK is and has been for hundreds of years made up by these countries; England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, islands like Isle of Man etc and the Channel Isles and we all use the £ sterling as our currency. Outside England, most of these countries also have and nurture their own languages.

Eire (sometimes called Southern Ireland) is an entirely separate state which has its connection with the UK only through the common language (English) although it has its own (Irish) and membership of the European Union. Eire's currency, together with 17 other European countries is the Euro. There are twenty seven countries in all who are members of the European Union. Those outside the Euro monetary union arrangement all have their own individual currencies.

There, that's cleared that up! ::):D

John

chumley "New South Wales" was very funny indeed ::)

john i hope the geography lesson wasn't meant also for me?

In case of a yes, i already knew the geography of UK, what i meant to say, it's that for instance i see no point in making just a quarter (which is northern ireland) of the island, that is IF they were to cover the Republic of Ireland after finishing with UK

but maybe there are other inconveniences that we are not aware of in the production process, that would make them choose to cover countries separately instead of more compact regions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

??? What on earth has New South Wales got to do with it?

I think a short geography lesson is in order. The UK is and has been for hundreds of years made up by these countries; England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, islands like Isle of Man etc and the Channel Isles and we all use the £ sterling as our currency. Outside England, most of these countries also have and nurture their own languages.

Eire (sometimes called Southern Ireland) is an entirely separate state which has its connection with the UK only through the common language (English) although it has its own (Irish) and membership of the European Union. Eire's currency, together with 17 other European countries is the Euro. There are twenty seven countries in all who are members of the European Union. Those outside the Euro monetary union arrangement all have their own individual currencies.

There, that's cleared that up! ::):D

John

Er not quite -

"Isle of Man is a British crown dependency but is not part of the UK or of the European Union. However, the UK Government remains constitutionally responsible for its defense and international representation." - CIA Factbook

Don't tell a Manxman they are part of the UK - you'll be a candidate for 'birching' if you keep it up.

Yes, ok, you're right Andy, though it grieve's me to have admit the CIA have got it legally right and it is true the Manxmen would have my guts for garters if I say that most Englishmen would think its an anomoly but as the arrangement works well as it is best left alone. ;D

Specially now Scotland is likely to make a great effort to become independent. That is until they discover that their members of the English parliament will have to leave it and we'll no longer be spending half as much again for every man, woman and child in Scotland as we do for the rest of the Country! ;)

Ho hum!

John

Archived