This Week's Meaningless Topic (#185)(March 20)

Hi all. Yesterday, I celebrated 50 years of sobriety. It meant a lot to me. Got a memorial chip and everything. That got me thinking about other anniversaries we treasure -- weddings, births, achievements, friendships, and so forth. And that leads us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What anniversaries in your life mean a lot to you?

[NOTE: the date of release in the thread title above is being changed to the actual Wednesday date of release. The old custom of using Friday has worn itself out. Tempus fugit.]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

The day Sandi Lee invited me to her house (you never forget your first)
The day met my wife to be
The day I married her
The birthdays of my two sons
The day I met JFK
The day I retired

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

An appropriate topic for a leap year Rodger!

My mind has a tendency to go off on tangents and I suddenly thought how rooted we are to our one wee planet whose orbital period determines how often anniversaries come around (the extra quarter day accounting for the leap year of course).

In the future, if we colonise the planets, anyone born on Mars will have roughly half as many birthdays as we do. Anyone with the misfortune to be born on Pluto (still a planet as far as I'm concerned) will have to live for just under 248 Earth Years to get to their first birthday!

Anyway, back to the topic.

Being serious for a moment - for me definitely my wedding anniversary. I don't often get things right but after more than 40 years with the most patient and forgiving lady on the planet I'll go with that :)

I always remember it as well - every year it occurs exactly 3 days after I forget Carol's birthday :-[

One other really significant date - 8th August 2022. The day I decided to stop having birthdays and therefore (obviously) stop getting any older.

Couldn't see the point since I already had my pension and my bus pass ;)

All the best,

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 4

A few dates are worthy of note: October 1, 1991, retired from the Navy.  Aug 15, 1986, finished my Ph.D. 

But the big one is our Wedding Anniversary, June 3, 1978.  But in an odd way my 73rd birthday.  At that point I had outlived every first or second degree male relative (father, two uncles, two grandfathers).

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

I'll drink to that and everything else that comes down the pike Rodger. My first beer was kind of a memorable event along with the fact that I ended up passed out in the womens bathrooom sitting on the throne when the Navy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

It has to be Jan 1st 1953 - 71 years ago - because - as I explained in an earlier missive - that was the day I met the missus -

we had our first kiss - it was her 16th birthday - and we celebrate it every year with our bread and coal ceremony on the

first stroke of the New Year

It was also the start of a great year - Gordon Richards won his first Derby race - Stan Mathews won his first FA cup medal and 

and Everest was climbed for the first time - Queen Eizabeth was crowned 3 weeks later - and despite Rodger's vows -

I turned 18 - and became eligible to go into a pub for the first time:)

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Celebrating 14 yrs married today.

Congratulations to you and the Mrs., Rob.

Ken

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Two dates. 19th July 1983 arriving in Australia to start my new life as a 17yo with my family (thank you Mum and Dad).

31st December 1991 about 9pm meeting my wife in a pub Brighton UK. We celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary in 4 weeks. We are so blessed!

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, wain71 said:

some fantastic posts here......me and the wife can't actually remember the date we met, I was riding a motorbike passed her, stopped and went back and had a chat, that was in Sept 1985, now at the actual point we stood talking there is now a speed camera, makes us all smile....

also June 16th 2020, not any important date really, more a lucky one.....had chest pains, wife called an ambulance, walked to it no problem, then in the ambulance I had a Cardia Arrest, 4 minutes of CPR then a shock from the defibrillator and I was back with us, I always now raise a glass of something and think how lucky I was....wish I could have thanked the Paramedics, they do a wonderful job....

Not Important !!! - it should go down as a second birthday - even more so - we were able to keep you amongst us👏

I'll tell this story to my granddaughter - she is a paramedic👍

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

were able to keep you amongst us👏

Thanks John...

On 3/23/2024 at 7:34 AM, John Heaton said:

she is a paramedic👍

You must be so proud, they're a superb bunch of people who don't always get the credit that they deserve...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1