What's it like where you live?

I was just thinking about all the good conversations we have, esp with the Meaningless Topics thread and was wondering what it looks like where y'all live.  I'll start out with 3 pictures I took yesterday while helping a friend prune some apple trees.  My friend has a 12,000 acre ranch just a short drive north of me.

IMG_4798.thumb.jpg.7bfc94d5d4d9b4f25d2fa136fa05d9ed.jpg

IMG_4793.thumb.jpg.0d04b2f15c159ade8276786d541b6216.jpg

IMG_4784.thumb.jpg.227a9406085585f292181f70d137eadc.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Redding looks very nice Rob

I don't think I have such nature around where I live, it's a rural town, so not sure a good pic could be shared. The famous nature of my country is a at certain distance from here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.63be1c9c94fd1e1a842d7e387da6a811.png

Rob, above is Spokane, Washington. Trudy and I live about ten miles west on what is called the West Plains. That's a dryland characterized by prairie grasses, stub pines, and nowadays huge Amazon distribution centers. Four seasons here, lots of accessible nature close by in all directions, fine medical facilities, and plenty of good places to eat. The Spokane River is the city's pride and is well cared for, with scenic trails paralleling it through the city. 

Below Is Airway Heights where we actually live. This view is faced northeast. Spokane is ten miles to the east, Spokane International Airport is five miles southeast, and Fairchild AFB is six miles west. Plenty of plane spotting from our apartment as they go over.

image.png.5f020c63e43165743ec05519a7012134.png

• Like 7

Rodger, I've been to Spokane a few times and love your downtown river area.  Rode a cable car over the river once too.

Graeme, it's great to see your area and family.  And it always comes as a surprise to see anyone at a pool in December!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

I spent 3 weeks in central Costa Rica Carlos and found much beauty everywhere I looked.

Might it be to used to it that don't notice it?...

I'll check around

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, boetie said:

Not our local landscape but our very local backyard on Christmas morning. That's me in the foreground with my wife and two of our kids (and our son's girlfriend). It was such a great Christmas day!

Cheers

Graeme :)

We did nearly the same on Christmas. Just not at a pool, and with heavy clothing. And no sunglasses. And no sunshine. So, nearly the same.

Let me show you some pictures of Hanover.

The (remaining) old inner city:

image.png.eac64dcf1660424653f4019e6db9a36a.png

Our "New Town Hall" (not new in the sense one would use the word usually):

image.png.7fed38555e1544283f97a6e8e659b5df.png

The quarter where I live

image.thumb.png.9ac0ca91129807cf737d28da4970af19.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Looks like you have a couple of canine companions there, Nick. Do they have you well trained for walks?:D

Hello Rodger,

there are three.
In age terms, the middle one is on the left, the youngest in the middle and the old soldier, on the right.
He's 12, or 84 in dog years.

• Like 3

On 1/8/2024 at 2:04 AM, Stillwater said:

We did nearly the same on Christmas. Just not at a pool, and with heavy clothing. And no sunglasses. And no sunshine. So, nearly the same.

The quarter where I live

Amazing buildings designs wow!

• Like 3

On 1/7/2024 at 10:04 AM, Stillwater said:

The quarter where I live

Beautiful pictures of beautiful buildings, Gerold. Over 90% of Hanover was razed by bombing in WWII. It's good that these treasures survived and can be celebrated today. Thanks for sharing them.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 2:23 AM, boetie said:

9CNQskD.jpeg

Not our local landscape but our very local backyard on Christmas morning. That's me in the foreground with my wife and two of our kids (and our son's girlfriend). It was such a great Christmas day!

Cheers

Graeme :)

Graeme, I've read  about the beautiful and exotic critters in Australia. Thanks for showing us a batch of them😁

• Haha 5

I knew I had this somewhere. A few years ago I got a chance to have a flight in a gyrocopter from our local airport (EGPT) which is less than a mile away from where I live - in this village called Balbeggie.

Balbeggie2.thumb.jpg.70db3770820248e72e41156baa7475dc.jpg

Our nearest big town is Perth, a few miles away.

The photo below was taken on what we call the bus pass walk (we're old enough to have them!).

A few miles strolling over the wee hills between home and Perth then catch the bus back.

P1050667.thumb.JPG.8144bf6e6c908d5ceb3a5c11044f9dab.JPG

The hills in the background don't look much on the photo (too wide angle) but those are the actual Scottish Highlands.

This is what one of the hills to the left on the horizon looks like close up!

DSC_0052-resize.thumb.jpg.7b224a07232745fb2f01cfbcbf9a0635.jpg

Of course, being Scotland, the sun always shines :lol:

All the best,

John

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, John Burgess said:

I knew I had this somewhere. A few years ago I got a chance to have a flight in a gyrocopter from our local airport (EGPT) which is less than a mile away from where I live - in this village called Balbeggie.

Balbeggie2.thumb.jpg.70db3770820248e72e41156baa7475dc.jpg

Our nearest big town is Perth, a few miles away.

The photo below was taken on what we call the bus pass walk (we're old enough to have them!).

A few miles strolling over the wee hills between home and Perth then catch the bus back.

P1050667.thumb.JPG.8144bf6e6c908d5ceb3a5c11044f9dab.JPG

The hills in the background don't look much on the photo (too wide angle) but those are the actual Scottish Highlands.

This is what one of the hills to the left on the horizon looks like close up!

DSC_0052-resize.thumb.jpg.7b224a07232745fb2f01cfbcbf9a0635.jpg

Of course, being Scotland, the sun always shines :lol:

All the best,

John

Pure dead brilliant, John. A tip of the bonnet to ye.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Is that yellow flowered bush a Scotch Broom

Indeed it is Rob. We have no shortage of it in this area!

As for your ancestors I still reckon that you may well be connected to the village of Abernethy which would be just out of shot in the distance on the right here.

KinnoulHill007.thumb.jpg.cf46b4ddec631064bdecd8f1b53499f3.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Gorgeous, lucky guy.

Nice picture! This is the Kingdom of Mercia?  My regards to King Raedwald (whether or not he actually is in Sutton Hoo)!  Beautiful.

Ken

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Badl4ndz said:

It was far too wet and windy for the drone over Christmas so here's a still from the last summer harvest.

Harvest2023.jpg

We learn something everyday, eh? Thanks, Badl4ndz, for this view of a bit of the Kingdom of Mercia. I'd not heard of that area and it's rich history until today. Well worth the Google.

• Like 3

Some amazing, beautiful landscapes, geography and architecture from our global family! Mostly northern hemisphere! C'mon southerners, let's show them where we live!!

G :)

Edited by boetie
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Nice picture! This is the Kingdom of Mercia?  My regards to King Raedwald (whether or not he actually is in Sutton Hoo)!  Beautiful.

Ken

It certainly was once Mercia Ken, with Tamworth (the capital of Mercia),  being 8 miles away. Lichfield (the ecclesiastical centre of Mercia), being 10 miles away.

Your reference to Sutton Hoo reminded me of history classes back in my school days, which then reminded me of Tollund Man which is completely unrelated and in Denmark.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 5:16 AM, TuFun said:

If you like airplanes this is what's about 7 minutes from my door..

Just had a chance to look at the video. I spotted a Vulcan in there.

I was lucky enough to see the last one before it was finally grounded a few years ago.

All the best,

John

• Like 1