This Week's Meaningless Topic (#160)(Sept 29)

Hi all. Some of us were kids before the advent of Lego blocks. We played with plain wooden blocks of various shapes, maybe a set of Lincoln Logs or Tinker Toys, or, if our parents were rich, an Erector set. Have to admit that when I was 53, a medical rehab allowed me to play with Legos and I enjoyed it. Which leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What construction sets did you enjoy playing with as a youngster?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

These types of "toys" were very important in my childhood.  I had a couple of Erector Sets over the years, parts of which were used in my early "flight sim."  I also had a large set of Lincoln Logs.  Earlier on I had a set of white plastic "bricks" with red windows and doors to build miniature house.  Along the same general line was a toy tow truck which came with a set of miniature tools so it could be taken apart and reassembled.  And there were always cardboard boxes which provided the raw material for so many things.  Anything to encourage imagination and technical skills.

Ken

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Back in the day there was an alternative to Lego called Betta Bilda

Airfix "Betta Bilda" plastic brick construction sets (1961-~1974) (brightontoymuseum.co.uk)

So I grew up with that plus the masses of Meccano that my Dad clearly wanted as a boy (I still have most of it).

Lego came later once I had my own sons. A sad day when they decided they wanted to build it on their own :lol:

When my eldest lad visits with his family he often disappears into our loft and brings down another childhood memory to share with his own kids :)

What a great question!

All the best,

John

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I started helping my grandpa dig fish ponds in Moses Lake WA when I was about 8 years old , I was a choke setter . We used this but a much older model : 😉😄

Screenshot2023-09-28130308.thumb.png.74eed4b28a09719eff7de56bee231c9a.png

Never played with any kid's toys .......:P🙂

Cheers

John

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, W2DR said:

Lincoln logs

I had to google these...

10 hours ago, BradB said:

I started helping my grandpa dig fish ponds in Moses Lake WA when I was about 8 years old , I was a choke setter . We used this but a much older model : 😉😄

Screenshot2023-09-28130308.thumb.png.74eed4b28a09719eff7de56bee231c9a.png

Never played with any kid's toys .......:P🙂

Cheers

John

bet that was huge amounts of fun for a kid, envious for sure...

12 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Fischer Technik

I had to google this to Gerold, looks like a good bit of kit...

@Pukcip that's an impressive collection.... I have always said that us 'boys' are lucky because we never really have to grow up...

I had mecanno but as one of the 'young kids' on here mine was made of plastic, which was a bit disappointing, I also had Lego though only a very basic set, I did used to enjoy building my sons when he was younger as by then it was all trucks and stuff...

@Rodger Pettichord I don't know how you come up with these topics but they are really well thought out for stirring some great memories and sparking some great conversations and like this week having to google stuff and learn about what some of you have done / used / or been up to, I really enjoy these, so glad you continue to do this every week....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Lego hadn't been invented

Hello John,
 I had some Minibrix, which, I think, predate you. :)

Meanwhile, in 1964, at the age of 12, here I am with a proper construction toy,
in the days before health and safety required either PPE or a roll cage
or indeed precluded 12 year olds from driving bulldozers.

18.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello John,
 I had some Minibrix, which, I think, predate you. :)

Meanwhile, in 1964, at the age of 12, here I am with a proper construction toy,
in the days before health and safety required either PPE or a roll cage
or indeed precluded 12 year olds from driving bulldozers.

18.jpg

"Those innovative little rectangles inspired the MiniBrix line from England’s Premo Rubber Company in 1935".

Nick - only if it was before September 1935;)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's never too late. 😁

The origin of Minibrix stretches as far back as 1934, when an American manufacturer ITS Rubber Specialties Company introduced its Build-O-Brik line. Those innovative little rectangles inspired the MiniBrix line from England’s Premo Rubber Company in 1935.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned above, I had Erector Sets. But I remember fondly playing with the Girder and Panel Set.  I didn't have one, but a friend did.  Fun way to learn about modern building techniques.

Ken

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1