This Week's Meaningless Topic (#137)(April 21)

Hi all. My wife and I recently went to a medical appointment and needed to park in a commercial parking lot nearby. The hitch was that you could only pay for the parking by using a smart phone app. Otherwise, you had to call a phone number, which we did on our cell phone, thus entering into a fifteen-minute phone-loop aggravation. More and more, it seems my wife and I are being forced into the world of smart phones. Hence this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Do my wife and I need a smart phone in this brave new world?

• Like 3

Do you need one? No. Does having one make some things easier? Yes.  Mine is always turned off unless I make a call (which is almost never). I don't do text messages and I don't use my cellphone as a camera. But what do I know? I'm just an 80-something old fart who thinks that 1955 was a really great year to be alive. But you're right Rodger - we're slowly being forced to use it for more-and-more things. And that's one of the reasons (along with politics) that I'm glad I don't have long left.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Rodger,
as Doug says, short answer, you can either go with the flow, or put up with the inconvenience.

I am only a mere 70 year old and I do remember what seems to have been a simpler time in the late 
50's and 60's, but without the rose-tinted glasses, life may have been more simple but it was not
as easy as it is now, as I am sure we all remember.
My grandfather and his peers lived through two world wars and numerous local ones, not to mention 
TB outbreaks, influenza that killed and so on. Very few families of his generation did not lose someone to one of those
and I guess that it is much the same over there.
My father's generation had it easier and mine, easier still.

My youngest daughter is just turned 24 and is a nurse. 
She works a strange shift pattern but for 37 1/2 hours a week and considers that to be long hours.
She didn't get much sympathy from me, when I was her age, I was working between 60 and 70 hours
every week, driving a lorry, or truck, as you may have it.

I have a smart phone because I need one for other things, but I honestly have no idea how to pay for anything with it.
When I do finally need to, I will ask my daughter to set it up, using the skill set that her generation has, that mine and yours do not have.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

These days sadly it's best to.

I haven't driven a car for 30 odd years because

of my eye issues. My Father bought his first smart phone

a couple of months ago because at the age of 85 he had 

some health setbacks and handed his license in.

We now rely on the smart phones to get groceries delivered, pay bills etc. 

Hardly need to leave the home now unless it's for Doctor appointments. 

It's just a computer in your pocket.

cheers

Gumby

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

a lorry ??

You know Nick, I can't read you without Googling :lol:

It always happens.

I think one never ends learning

Rodger, now that you mention this topic I just realized that I use my phone as an alarm clock (to wake up to work, to remind me it's lunch time and even the end of the shift otherwise you may continue glued to the chair)

Also for texting my family when they reach me out for money, and of course for transferring the money.

Those are my uses

But I can see how addictive to this young people are, my nephews and nieces to mention some.

In some cases I find it practical but also cold, for example:

My last birthday (Feb 12, 54 y/o) I received several messages, images, bla bla, but just one unique call, a coworker's call !

The point is, I accomplished with the ritual of greeting or sending something but keeping distance and the possibility of compromise, compromise to agree to meet or go out or simply have a warmer approach, avoid the real contact; the text or image should be enough. And if I was dead at that moment when would they realize?

I was impressed by my coworker taking the time to call me, hear me, make contact, expose to all that possible compromise of doing something to celebrate or simply meet, or have a longer chat...it was like coming and standing right in front of my face, see (hear) my reactions etc, the real thing... hey I'm here!, you listen? for someone who was simply his coworker.

That made me think in the past... When there were no phones, people had the "need" to express their beloved people their good wishes, they visited, they arranged activities, parties,had presents, it all was an event, for families or friends, a whole planning and possibly a surprise activity would be fun and better.

Now, a gif. image replaces all that, and many other moments.... SENT

Maybe, am I becoming invisible?

Edited by carlosqr
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and I love it how banks, the German railway or some mileage programs hide themselves behind multiple computers to log in.

For using the German rail I need 2 accounts (general and abo functions) and at least 2 of their 5-or-so apps.

The extreme for me was a swiss bank (last week), that required a computer, a smartphone and some archived paper from 2015 to grant access to MY money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

got to agree with most of the above, don't need a smartphone but makes life a lot easier, if you have a signal or their app hasn't crashed...recently they have been debating removing parking meters and using apps, maybe we could get some free parking instead...

I sometimes wish we didn't have mobiles, life was slower paced and it seemed easier before them, I am glad though I don't do any of the social media stuff, it seems like some don't have time for real life, I went to a sporting event not long ago and most people were looking at their phone screens that were pointing at the action instead of watching LIVE with their eyes, they may as well have stayed home...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

hey may as well have stayed home...

Almost seems the point anymore.  I was just at Costco shopping and almost everyone I saw walking towards the store entrance was staring at their smartphones, like zombies.  They have their uses but I dread the day where they are mandatory.

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

John a "Smart Phone" seems to be a main frame computer you carry in your pocket, and need to be under 25 and/or a computer programmer to operate.  Too much for this old Ph.D.

We resisted getting a cell phone for as long as possible, but finally broke down 11 years ago when my mother was dying, and we had to be in touch with caregivers.  Then we got two of the simplest (and the cheapest) we could find. Since then we have found them convenient, and a useful tool.  The since we returned to working part time, they have become quite necessary at the workplace.  But I've no idea how to access or use these so called "apps". Or internet access, email or the other bells and whistles.  We use them to occasionally talk, and slightly more frequently to "text".  Can't see why the young folk are so fixated on the devices.

But now there is a new wrinkle, this two mode authentication.  After signing on to a site on a computer, the bank, for example, you are sent a code via text to enter before accessing your information.  With so much fraud and hacking it is well intended, but still a nuisance.  For me it's a special problem since my computer is in the basement where there is no cell phone reception.

Then the final rub.  Last week my cell phone died. I bought  a new one and went online to activate it.  Sign into the carrier's website, and you can't guess it!  They insisted on sending a verification code, but it went to the phone that didn't work!  Much frustration.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

No. I had a mobile until about 10 years ago. First got one in 1987. I had a great rate of about $8 a month. When my provider decided it need to charge $20 I cancelled service as I had only used the phone about 3 times in the previous year. I currently have one of my wife's old smart phones which I use as a camera and Wi-Fi terminal (Navigraph Charts) but am happy not to be tethered to the thing like so many others. My wife has a smart phone so we can use it when travelling.

Larry

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

My smart phone is with me all the time. I do my banking, my shopping, my foruming, my Googling and many other required or pleasurable tasks. It also has a fantastic camera. It has navigated me to destinations while driving and given me the ability to send photos to family not near me instantly. I NEED a smartphone in this world, being stupid myself I don’t need a stupid phone.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, boetie said:

My smart phone is with me all the time. I do my banking, my shopping, my foruming, my Googling and many other required or pleasurable tasks. It also has a fantastic camera. It has navigated me to destinations while driving and given me the ability to send photos to family not near me instantly. I NEED a smartphone in this world, being stupid myself I don’t need a stupid phone.

Cheers

Graeme :)

yeah I agree they are really useful, however for my mum who has a very unsmart phone they are no use at all, mind you she doesn't even have or want internet at her house...the camera on my phone is now better than my actual camera...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1