Giant Samsung curved monitor

Ken Terry

21 hours ago, paulb said:

Not for me Ken :). I like UWS 21:9 monitors for flying. Great immersion. The Samsung might be curved but is 16:9.

If you were really intent on restricting your view (I don't know why you would want to), you could display a 21:9 window on the Samsung and it would still be wider than any native 21:9 monitor you can buy! I'm not sure about the 'cockpit mode' (vertical orientation), I'd have to try that out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MarkH said:

If you were really intent on restricting your view (I don't know why you would want to), you could display a 21:9 window on the Samsung and it would still be wider than any native 21:9 monitor you can buy! I'm not sure about the 'cockpit mode' (vertical orientation), I'd have to try that out!

I don't regard it as "restricting my view", Mark. I have used 16:9 monitors for years in the past (and 4:3 before that). I moved to a curved 21:9 34" a few years ago then moved to a 38" curved 4k UWS 21:9. I have been looking a 40" one, but the screen difference from 38" is quite small in practice. 

I just prefer a 21:9 perspective for flight simming.

BTW, I also have a 55" 16:9 8k TV and would not choose to sim on that. Just my opinion based on my experience :D.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

Help me understand this. I can but a 55" Samsung curved 4K smart TV for US$497. Why the price difference for the "gaming" monitor. Something just doesn't add up here. 

You can't rotate the $497 monitor like you can the giant one. It's just like a giant smart phone.

And I could imagine that it also has got an interactive touch screen and can be used like a white board. But that's just a sispicion.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

My wife had the final word--"No."

That's funny...showed it to my girlfriend (who has lived with me for 6 years now) and she said "If you want it, go for it...looks pretty cool! You support my hobbies after all." 

I should add that I don't actually have the desire to have a monitor that big. I already have a really cool 49" Super Ultra Curved 5120x1440P Gaming Monitor with a refresh rate of 240Hz, which I love for simming :) 

Edited by Sniper31
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

That's funny...showed it to my girlfriend (who has lived with me for 6 years now) and she said "If you want it, go for it...looks pretty cool! You support my hobbies after all." 

I should add that I don't actually have the desire to have a monitor that big. I already have a really cool 49" Super Ultra Curved 5120x1440P Gaming Monitor with a refresh rate of 240Hz, which I love for simming :) 

I wish I had a girlfriend like you do. My wife is still laughing when I showed her that price. My beers would be cut off for ever:unsure:. k:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3