An interesting exploration

Stillwater

After recovering from some drinks with @carlosqr we head out to explore Costa Rica. We step out of his house and directly into the appropriate plane, ...

KqqlHwL.jpg

... climb out over San José...

K9iW97o.jpg

... and turn left towards the Reserva Forestal Grecia.

CxucKq7.jpg

A great wide landscape.

C2XyG0N.jpg

The Volcan Arenal is quite a prominent landmark in the country´s north. If one would call someplace 10° off from the equator as "north".

MpMQqQQ.jpg

Back down to the Pacific we cross a village called Miramar. A name with good reason.

9wuFzad.jpg

And soon after we meet the famous & safe port of Puntarenas.

LTUA1MN.jpg

Following the coast we cross Parque Nacional Carara, ...

BQAphg0.jpg

... and come close to the Estero Damas swamp near Quepos.

NsJL2fG.jpg

Passing the mountains of the Reserva Forestal Los Santos...

GanvBAl.jpg

... before we meet some fellow travellers invited by Henrik Nielsen.

uOOFnXH.jpg

This ship traffic really fits to our exploration!

J8mGrfW.jpg

Next we pass el Golfo Dulce ...

vENRgab.jpg

... in slight tropical rain, ...

QSEg3c5.jpg

... which does not make El Golfito less interesting, looks like an airport location worth an upgrade.

vTyFMsm.jpg

We leave the clouds of Costa Rica behind...

iX6gXqD.jpg

... and approach Panama´s highest mountain (hidden behind clouds) in the NP Volcan Baru.

dUjBMP5.jpg

Time to land in Ciudad David...

bl1lgln.jpg

... surrounded by palms, but just another classical default airstrip.

d2HCz38.jpg

For interested travellers: Here we have todays routing.

CVuF0ot.jpg

• Like 7

Gerold this was indeed special :wub:

Thank you very much for such a nice tour in my country, unfortutaly yes, the country needs a lot of improvement in the sims specially in P3D

Allow me to complement with some shots of the visited places

San Jose city (Not a flamboyant city but it{s fine...I guess)

Eq1Bwfm.jpg

Grecia

One of the most iconic elements in this area is the church, very rural area

Pm4O6Jy.jpg

The Arenal volcano

One of the most touristic places in the country due to the volcano, the lake and the hot sprinsgs plus the ton of possible tours in the area. The volcano is currently dormant but it used to give an amazing lava displayed at night

It tends to be cloudy

Z5dDe3x.jpg

These are rare nowadays

mieEHxg.jpg

Puntarenas used to be the most famous port/beach destination for ticos (costaricans) I like to spot it from air

Currently it is one of our most important ports

06r6WVP.jpg

As it is just 1:30 hrs away from the capital many people yet goes there for some beach time, to eat, just for a ride to scape from the city and of course have a diabetic bomb, those "churchills"

A drink made of syrup, powder milk, condensed milk and ice. Oh and a ball of ice cream why not? Just to keep you awake until you get back home, and in US size. :D

They also look for vigoron and ceviche here (food)

oZTcR00.jpg

The Carara reserve, specially for spotting aras among other wildlife

cr6dRbk.jpg

Quepos, Damas and Manuel Antonio

This is the top destination for the central Pacific, being Manuel Antonio the most visited park

Main trouble here are the thives,monkeys and racoons

8yhCeu2.jpg

bZnXwgr.jpg

Then you finally cross over Golfo Dulce, full of dolphines and of whales when it is whales season. They come to the Gulf with the baby whales

It is amazing to kayak in the Gulf

4tl9ot8.jpg

The Osa peninsula is a national park all of it, Corcovado National park

Yet virgin jungle, one of the most biodiverse places on Earth

Several luxurious ecolodges are based here, unaffordable for locals, as Lapa Rios

7G3ZGBW.jpg

Lapa Rios is on hill. They are part of NatGeo ecolodges, they also own Tortuga Lodge, Pacuare Lodge, Monteverde Lodge.

fuv5Y5G.jpg

Lxw2Mnx.jpg

I've been there twice. If I ever make it back to tourism I will never be able to be here again :lol:

Then your last spot was Golfito Airport

I have always thought this would be a great Orbx addon

The approch is nice

But challenging if you doing on runway 13

I hope you don't mind my abuse putting all this

Your post remind me of my days in tourism :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for passing by!

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 8/31/2021 at 9:01 AM, Iain Emms said:

Great shots these Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

On 8/31/2021 at 2:17 PM, lifejogger said:

Enjoyed the flight  and commentary Gerold!!!!!  And thanks for showing the map, it is nice to know exactly were you were flying at.:)

You are welcome John. That was really a fun flight, with a nice plane and an interesting route.

On 8/31/2021 at 2:35 PM, BradB said:

Excellent shots and narration Gerold from your flight . 

Thanks John. I think I have never flown in this area before, and we see it too rarely.

On 8/31/2021 at 5:24 PM, wain71 said:

great shots of a great flight there Gerold....

Thank you Wayne!

22 hours ago, Bullfox said:

Great shots and nice to see the map.  I have been looking for something like that.  Is it an add on and from what developer? 

Thank you mate!

The planning tool is plan-g from Tim Arnot http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/.

Many others use Little Navmap https://github.com/albar965/littlenavmap/releases.

16 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Very interesting indeed thank you - great scenery, great aircraft, top notch narration, great map - it saves my ballpoint and my atlas!

Thank you TT. It makes me happy that one could save something, maybe this shortens the way to your next graphic card a bit.

8 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Thanks Carlos, great pics and story.

Don

plus 1!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Gerold this was indeed special :wub:

Thank you very much for such a nice tour in my country, unfortutaly yes, the country needs a lot of improvement in the sims specially in P3D

I need to thank you with a series of comments, Carlos.

First: I agree, central America could deserve some more details in the sims. Imagine what it would look like with a scenery pack like Papua New Guinea!

• Like 2

The Arenal volcano

One of the most touristic places in the country due to the volcano, the lake and the hot sprinsgs plus the ton of possible tours in the area. The volcano is currently dormant but it used to give an amazing lava displayed at night

It tends to be cloudy

Without having any knowledge of your country I picked a touristic hotspot - and it looks like it has many different things to do there!

• Like 2

Puntarenas used to be the most famous port/beach destination for ticos (costaricans) I like to spot it from air

Currently it is one of our most important ports

Puntarenas is well known, but it looks much better with the details in real life - that´s p3d... :-[

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Carara reserve, specially for spotting aras among other wildlife

I did not know this wildlife either, fantastic to see here. Seems I chose a good route...

The missing AraFlow does not cause too much disappointment for me.

• Like 1

Quepos, Damas and Manuel Antonio

This is the top destination for the central Pacific, being Manuel Antonio the most visited park

Main trouble here are the thives,monkeys and racoons

I should have gone lower in this area to see more details. But your RL shots look great!

• Like 2

Then you finally cross over Golfo Dulce, full of dolphines and of whales when it is whales season. They come to the Gulf with the baby whales

It is amazing to kayak in the Gulf

The gulf already looked interesting on the map, but your pictures show that this is true. And kajaking there appears to be outstanding!

• Like 2

The Osa peninsula is a national park all of it, Corcovado National park

Yet virgin jungle, one of the most biodiverse places on Earth

Several luxurious ecolodges are based here, unaffordable for locals

Amazing location and lodge. There is still room for dreams!

• Like 2

Then your last spot was Golfito Airport

I have always thought this would be a great Orbx addon

That was exactly what I though when I flew over it: What a great location for an airport in Orbx quality.

Now add some nature flow (as described above), and some PNG-like bushstrips...

@Ken Hall, please chime in and fire up your scenery workshop ;)!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What a great thread this turned out to be thanks to @Stillwater and @carlosqr ! A great flight sim story, some screenshots of the flight along with a pic of the flight route on a map, followed up by several real world photos of some of the POI's...great job you two! It reads just like a little adventure brochure! Nice! :)  The only thing missing would have been an experienced adventurer's compass and trusty jungle knife laid across the map of the flight route ;) :D

Edited by Sniper31
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, wain71 said:

@carlosqr great posting, that church looks an amazing building, really stands proud in it's surroundings....is Puntarenas original like that or a man made island/ that to looks lovely..

Hi Wain

It is natural, Puntarenas = Point of sands

What we increased or man made was the Arenal Lake, it was samaller. We flooded an area to make it bigger and placed a dam

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I need to thank you with a series of comments, Carlos.

First: I agree, central America could deserve some more details in the sims. Imagine what it would look like with a scenery pack like Papua New Guinea!

You're very welcome and kind Gerold

Yes I agree, it would be great, some beauties like the Agua, Fuego and Acatenango volcanos in Guate. Suchitoto in Salvador and some lake areas, Roatan in Honduras, The amazing area of the lakes in Nicaragua and its pacific cost, our own natural corners and the Panama canal with the landmarks, fortunately this last one is coming to MSFS! :wub:

Indeed the landscape around looks wide, and the church would be a nice POI (like the stave chuches in Norway).

It is modeled as a freeware in MSFS, as well and the one in Alajuela. I used to have SJO city in 3D but when it chaged to P3D v4 no longer worked

Without having any knowledge of your country I picked a touristic hotspot - and it looks like it has many different things to do there!

This very true!! just noticed that too, initially just followed the flight then turn the eyes down to earth and see what could be spotted in a low and slow flight :-)

Puntarenas is well known, but it looks much better with the details in real life - that´s p3d... 

Yeap, I rememeber I had an addon for this area too in P3D v3 that improved the shape

I did not know this wildlife either, fantastic to see here. Seems I chose a good route...

The missing AraFlow does not cause too much disappointment for me.

These aras are all over the place there are restaurants on the way. Many of this birds are now used to get close to the areas that you can spot them at just few meters from you in the fences of houses.

The gulf already looked interesting on the map, but your pictures show that this is true. And kajaking there appears to be outstanding!

I find the area very scenic, peaceful, and the Gulf is deep At morning break the sounds of wildlife is really nice mainly birds. in both areas Puerto Jimenez ( Lapa Rios area) and in Golfito

Kayaling is indeed nice, specially late afternoon the golden hour. Early morning the color of the water is more greenish then bluer then sort of silver. Is really nice

That was exactly what I though when I flew over it: What a great location for an airport in Orbx quality.

Now add some nature flow (as described above), and some PNG-like bushstrips...

@Ken Hall, please chime in and fire up your scenery workshop ;)!

Oh that would be incredible

46 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

What a great thread this turned out to be thanks to @Stillwater and @carlosqr ! A great flight sim story, some screenshots of the flight along with a pic of the flight route on a map, followed up by several real world photos of some of the POI's...great job you two! It reads just like a little adventure brochure! Nice! :)  The only thing missing would have been an experienced adventurer's compass and trusty jungle knife laid across the map of the flight route ;) :D

Thank you so much Landon

It was a nice post from Gerold indeed

Maybe will see the Indiana Jones style in a future post

Thanks your nice comment

Thank you Gerold for ride!

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Maybe will see the Indiana Jones style in a future post

Thanks your nice comment

That would be awesome Carlos! I am a big time Indiana Jones fan....even my cat is named Indiana Jones, but you must call him Dr. Jones ;) 

• Haha 2