Introducing KAVX Catalina for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

10 hours ago, ravenn22 said:

Can't wait for this one! ;)   Two things...

1. In the next round of screens, can you show off the runway slope?
  2. Double check the image title/watermarkk  ;)

Looking great!

The slope is an exact replica of the real world airport, msfs allows us to make a profile of the runway, and Tim was painstakingly determined to get it spot on.

cheers

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

The slope is an exact replica of the real world airport, msfs allows us to make a profile of the runway, and Tim was painstakingly determined to get it spot on.

cheers

Hi Ken,

It looks great and I wish you much success.

I hope we can one day see Samoa and the island airports. Still one of my fav packages.

Best regards,

Jose

Edited by JoseCFII
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

cheers

Awesome - I figured.... The 2 screens showing the runway were at an angle that's really hard to tell ;)

The additional scenery for Avalon looks great!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bwestenhofer said:

Can't wait for this one! ;)   Two things...

1. In the next round of screens, can you show off the runway slope?
  2. Double check the image title/watermarkk  ;)

Whatt do you mean? ;)

bottom right of every single image? read the title again ;) 

• Like 1

A strong SoCal/Spanish/Mediterranean design influence vibe going on here with obviously a lot of fine detail work encapsulated in the various POI's scattered around the island & at the airport buildings.

The island map for instance, in shot 5, is a nice touch, & the custom vegetation helps build a vacation location ambiance.

Plus I note a strong nautical focus round the coast line with boats &  artifacts coming in for attention.

The land looks different to the stellar P3D version, more bleached, which could be due to the MSFS light.(refer last pic.)

The upshot of all of this is that it is a Day 1 & it is one that I will be exploring on foot & by car as I suspect there are nuggets tucked all over the place.

Being able to bring a BN-2 in here or the Seneca, adds to the attraction.

Yes, it's a lump of rock & dirt stuck out in a swirling ocean.

From way off it cuts, perhaps, a bland figure.

Yet close up & circumnavigated, I am reminded of a vintage gold ring encircled with sparkling diamonds on its perimeter with a ruby in the center.

Another classic from Ken & Tim, but chaps, something is missing!

Where is The Lady in Red?:)

TTM

• Like 2

Can’t wait for this!  Tim & Ken, if it would at all be possible, may you please add some sort of lower dock to the end of Avalon Harbor Pier?  I desperately want to simulate the numerous flying boat services to Catalina back in the day and will need a place to dock. Thank you

F8FF6759-4661-4B10-9947-9E169E76BB72.jpeg

11DD1F54-6600-41CE-8D34-319A617D27D7.jpeg

EC894246-0E5D-4CB7-A1E6-20AE43C93E07.jpeg

85637083-AB03-4581-BB25-98D7216DFD29.png

Edited by KORDATC
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, KORDATC said:

Can’t wait for this!  Tim & Ken, if it would at all be possible, may you please add some sort of lower dock to the end of Avalon Harbor Pier?  I desperately want to simulate the numerous flying boat services to Catalina back in the day and will need a place to dock. Thank you

+1 on this.

There is a very popular freeware 'Goose' out there & I am sure Catalina, with appropriate docking, would be a magnet for it.

& an added incentive is that the Developer is also from The Land Down Under.:)

TTM

• Like 3

I should have mentioned it, but a lower dock on the Two Harbors pier would be fantastic too.  This particular pier has the lower dock irl to this day still which is nice.  

Cheers

Edited by KORDATC
  • Like 1

I went back to Catalina Island in P3D, looking for The Lady in Red.

& yes, she was still waiting for a lift.

It looks as if she is giving someone an earful on her cellphone. Still trim as ever, delicious in red, & no doubt totally color coordinated.

But I draw your attention to the Trans Catalina G-73 Mallard waiting for her to board.

I originally pulled a Grumman Goose from the back of a hangar, but found it was missing a Panel.cfg, so I thought I would try the Mallard.

It is a Milton Shupe FSX port over & very nicely done. Even has an AP.

Once I figure out how to raise & lower the pontoons I'll take it for a flight. [Addendum- it looks like the Mallard has the wing pontoons  fixed in the 'down' position. I have also just seen video of a twin turbine version, but I think the radials look more in character, & the sound of the radials is superb.

TTM (P3D v4.5)

tc-1.jpg

Edited by TigerTigerM
  • Like 3