This Week's Meaningless Topic (#37)(May 22)

Hi all. Here in the United States, many are looking forward to the emergence of the 17-year cicadas. They will emerge in great numbers, reproduce, and disappear for another seventeen years. People, however, who live in the areas where this will happen are not so thrilled. They will be inundated by bugs for several weeks. I guess it's all in the perspective--and distance involved. Which leads us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: Are the following (1) national treasures or (2) regional pests?

A. KANGAROO  (1)  Funny Animal: Cute kangaroo pictures   (2)   image.jpeg.76c2e8d0e39dec253230ac35005742b0.jpeg 

B. KOMODO   (1)     cute animals Archives - Page 2 of 2 - In The Know   (2)   Photo of a Giant Wall-Climbing Lizard in Australia Is Real

C. WOLF        (1)      Noble Wolf | Hayvan resimleri, Hayvan, Resim      (2)    image.jpeg.7da1cfa7d8ec41b3224d8d6ae1f82b2f.jpeg

D. OLD GUYS  (1)  image.jpeg.7957e08c35ec593506de5745757f066c.jpeg        (2)  image.jpeg.b7dc5258159e2e4b10830fa3b4784ff2.jpeg

• Like 1

I was in San Angelo TX during a cicadas event in the early 2000's in May ; a pretty amazing site to see for sure . As far as your topic Roger , D - Old guys for sure , both kinds . Just don't let them near a particular "Whire House" in DC . >:(;)

Cheers

John

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Old guys

If you're male, and you're lucky you will have a chance to become one as well:D

The transformation doesn't occur over time.  Its a bit like, you're standing at the bathroom mirror one day and you put your glasses on

and your reaction is "Who is that old git staring back at me" :huh:

A panic call to your partner and all you get is "You've looked like that for years dear.... get over it!"

PS- its a lot of fun.

It's not a question of how much time you have left .... it's how you choose to use your time that matters. 

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hmmm.  I think Rodger has a different approach in mind to the question than this thread is taking.  It's not choose a,b, c,or d, but choose option one or two for each of the categories.  So here goes.

A.  I'll go for #2.  Having only seen 'roos in zoos, not having lived in Oz, I think they're cute and exotic.  But I can well understand that our Aussie friends may well have another opinion.  Here on Long Island we have the same ambivalent feelings about deer.

B. I don't know!  Well outside of my experience. But based on what I don't know, I'll go for 2.

C.  Great Alpha predator, much maligned.  I'll have to say 1, but with a caveat.  People and wolves don't mix well.  We need to stop destroying their natural habitat.  

D. The answer is obvious.  We're the national treasures.  If only those young'uns would listen to us the world would be a much better place (at least for us oldsters).

And by the way, Rodger, you're right about the cicadas.  They can be a problem, because they are so LOUD!

Ken

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Hmmm.  I think Rodger has a different approach in mind to the question than this thread is taking.  It's not choose a,b, c,or d, but choose option one or two for each of the categories.  So here goes.

A.  I'll go for #2.  Having only seen 'roos in zoos, not having lived in Oz, I think they're cute and exotic.  But I can well understand that our Aussie friends may well have another opinion.  Here on Long Island we have the same ambivalent feelings about deer.

B. I don't know!  Well outside of my experience. But based on what I don't know, I'll go for 2.

C.  Great Alpha predator, much maligned.  I'll have to say 1, but with a caveat.  People and wolves don't mix well.  We need to stop destroying their natural habitat.  

D. The answer is obvious.  We're the national treasures.  If only those young'uns would listen to us the world would be a much better place (at least for us oldsters).

And by the way, Rodger, you're right about the cicadas.  They can be a problem, because they are so LOUD!

Ken

Ken is right--choose (1) or (2) for each category. I had in mind hearing from our guys who live in affected areas. Those who mistook the question can revote--or take the thread and run with it. That's okay, too. We have our fun however we can get it :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Ken is right--choose (1) or (2) for each category. I had in mind hearing from our guys who live in affected areas. Those who mistook the question can revote--or take the thread and run with it. That's okay, too. We have our fun however we can get it :lol: 

50 years ago this Sept - I brought my family to Australia - and we arrived in the Cicada season - every year in OZ -

and our house was in a treed area and the noise of the C's was tremendous. When I asked my new next door neighbor

what the noise was - his Reply - "It's an Pommy (english) invention!!"

A - 2- definite - a pest but great eatingB)

B - 1 - Indonesians think they are money spinners for Tourists:ph34r:

C - 1 - Nice doggie:unsure:

D - 2 -how did you get my photo :blink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

We get Cicadas here most years and I like the noise they make but now you mention it I didn't her or see any this year. Despite that, other insect species, which had been on the decline, made a great comeback this year. I was even pleased to see the wife's veggie patch attract a lot of Cabbage White butterflies as well as being annoyed by the great Aussie fly!

A. I like roos and sadly we had 2 knocked over very close to our house this year and it was with a morbid curiosity that I watched the council tray truck, complete with one of those small cranes, pick this big grey male roo up. I totally agree with John Heaton that they do taste very good and we do indulge with roo steaks often.

B. We don't have Komodos here but they are quite amazing creatures and they do have their place here on the planet even though they are not the most cuddlesome of beasts. I have only ever seen them in Honolulu zoo. The second photo is indeed a huge Australia Goanna. One rural property we lived in had many of them around the house as well as they liked to raid the rabbit traps I set up around our 10 acres. You don't mess with a Goanna or a Dragon but I like them!

C. We only have the Dingo here and I am not the slightest bit a dog lover. However wolves do have their place and I was disappointed I didn't see any at Denali NP. I think the bears scared them off.

D. Old guys of a certain shade are a threatened species these days despite their important contribution to the planet. Some have their wits about them and do plenty of good and others can only destroy and should be in a home. Support you local old good guy!:lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Huh?:angry:And here I thought y'all was my friend? Kidding Martyn:D. There ain't no home that will take me, she who must be obeyed tried:unsure::D.

With friends like me Karl, who needs enemas!:ph34r::huh::lol:

• Haha 3

Ever since I read the story; 'The Man Who Dances With Wolves', I've had a different opinion of them.  However, although they're heart breakers I've always loved dogs so I suppose there's a affinity there.  I'm definitely and animal lover and if it was possible I would have Alpaccas, Gorillas, Dogs, Cats, Dolphins, Lions etc.,  but not Snakes living with us!

As for the question Rodger posed, I would say all those shown should be national treasures.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

As an old guy I choose to ignore 'D'.  Kangaroos are Australian - no concern of mine - likewise Komodo Dragons.  I've always admired the wolf, especially as a tanned hide. 

Edited by olderndirt
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, TuFun said:

D1 for the fact she is a women who lived through WW2 in Germany.  One brave women... my mother!  Honored to take care of her today!!!

Research for my second novel included several books about conditions in post-war Germany. One brave woman indeed, TuFun. I'm glad she's with a loving son at this stage of her life. Well done, Sir.

• Like 1