This Week's Meaningless Topic (#13) (Dec 5)

Hi all. It is obvious that this forum attracts members who are well-traveled and widely experienced. This week's topic asks you to narrow that down to one focal point. Let's go exploring.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  In what city did you most feel like a man of the world? (For me, it was Saigon during the war--danger, beauty, excess, intrigue, experiencing my greatest strengths and weaknesses)

Wow...this is a hard question to narrow down an answer....after some thought, of all the places across the globe, the most out of the way place I found myself standing was at an old Soviet era military airfield in Kazakhstan . There were Kazakhstani soldiers walking around in uniforms that looked straight out of the 1970's Cold War Soviet military. It was like a trip back in time almost, and this was in 2007.

A close runner up would be when I was standing next to the Panama Canal in the mid 90's, watching a super tanker transit the canal, with nothing but jungle all around it and as far as you could. Looked so strange...this giant behemoth of a ship in the middle of the jungle.

Great topic Rodger!

Cheers!

Landon 

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, during Desert Storm.  City of contrast. Modern and ancient.  Jet transports on one side of the fence, camels plodding by on the other.  Modern department stores and old souls.  New mansions and old traditional architecture.

Rome. Out to dinner with an Italian babe. Sipping Scotch whiskey before dinner , drinking French wine with dinner (I know its's sacrilegious to drink that stuff in Italy but, what the heck, they served it), wearing shoes made in America, slacks made in England, and a shirt from Hong Kong. Funny I remember what I was wearing that night but I remember everything about that evening. That was the night I asked her to marry me. We've been together for 55 years now and the memories have never faded.

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

Indeed, that can really make an evening memorable....

Ah yes, Zi Georgio's and IL Fantino near the Naval Base in Naples. Also that little stand that sold wood roasted chicken (we called it "road kill") Good food, home made wine, and cheap.

14 hours ago, John York said:

I was going to say Kuala Lumpur in civies but then, for some reason, I remembered Sorrento eating lunch with my wife in the hotel dining room looking looking across the bay to Capri where Gracie Field's lived. 

Never got to Capri, but spent a wonderful weekend on Ischia.  Unfortunately my wife could not join me in Italy.  But I did have leave over Christmas and New Years, (this was 1990)  and rather than going home, she met me in London.  We spent Christmas with my cousins in Southampton, and New Years with her college chum and family in Beccles.  

Archived