Some fun at Juneau

Jack Sawyer

I see scimitars.  Interesting in your second shot - you're flying runway heading for departure but the approach fix is that clearing off your left wing.  That's where the flashers are and the sequence lights to the runway threshold begin.  When you're over the final approach fix on Coghlan Island you must have the flashers in sight to continue otherwise execute missed.  This all puts you a final approach course about twenty degrees left of runway heading.

10 hours ago, olderndirt said:

I see scimitars.  Interesting in your second shot - you're flying runway heading for departure but the approach fix is that clearing off your left wing.  That's where the flashers are and the sequence lights to the runway threshold begin.  When you're over the final approach fix on Coghlan Island you must have the flashers in sight to continue otherwise execute missed.  This all puts you a final approach course about twenty degrees left of runway heading.

Thanks OND.  Well said as this is one of my favorite approaches to any airport but in this case I was flying everything by hand.  No SID or STAR, I was actually using the terrain radar to navigate.

9 hours ago, adambar said:

Outatanding stuff Jack! :)  Looks like you did good flying your new toy. :D

Thanks Adam!  Now I can't wait till they release the shorter versions.  But Juneau in my little Orbx world looked fantastic in the winter time, I loved it.

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A beautiful set from your flight Jack, a challenge in that type of weather.

Like the scimitars and also the airline too.

Thanks Martyn!  I don't know why but I really love IFR even when I'm not actually doing IFR.  I was IFR in VFR conditions but what the heck, it's my like simulated world :D

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks OND.  Well said as this is one of my favorite approaches to any airport but in this case I was flying everything by hand.  No SID or STAR, I was actually using the terrain radar to navigate.

Hey, I was giving myself a memory test :).

Archived