Out of fuel over LEBB

Jack Sawyer

I made a test flight yesterday over Bilbao in the A319.  I put only 1000 pounds of fuel on board and flew around till I ran out of gas just to see what would happen.  Well, I circedla round for a bit and everything went quiet, no engines, nothing, so I dead sticked it in for a perfect landing.  I loved it.

KCiW3Vk.jpg

fKwOWQ1.jpg

tLNGVCR.jpg

sOl6NUu.jpg

xyJFaUa.jpg

uyyvyK1.jpg

PW0aBwG.jpg

eXDgScG.jpg

z7RzZ5z.jpg

hfgo96V.jpg

p5sB9n7.jpg

G6TO3YF.jpg

Sgurkp8.jpg

GuTdY8O.jpg

P0XKuE9.jpg

7 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Very courageous Jack!

I do not recommend this in real life. But it is why we used to practice dead stick approaches to a fixed spot.

Greg

I wouldn’t either but like you said Greg, it’s great practice in the sim.

As a controller at Anchorage TRACON, the bane of my existence was the Elmendorf T-33's and their monthly SFO (simulated flame out).  Though they were VFR over the base, they simulated no avionics and were a lousy primary target.

Just now, olderndirt said:

As a controller at Anchorage TRACON, the bane of my existence was the Elmendorf T-33's and their monthly SFO (simulated flame out).  Though they were VFR over the base, they simulated no avionics and were a lousy primary target.

That must have been cool to see OND.

2 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That must have been cool to see OND.

Never 'saw' them.  Was sitting in front of a radar scope trying to keep track of them 'cause one of our SID's climbed right over the base airspace (3000 and below) and the SFO's started at 5500. 

18 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Never 'saw' them.  Was sitting in front of a radar scope trying to keep track of them 'cause one of our SID's climbed right over the base airspace (3000 and below) and the SFO's started at 5500. 

Cool stuff!

6 hours ago, lifejogger said:

A self induced  emergency.  You could have just shut the engines down.  Nice shots of it.

Thanks John, I did this because I was trying to reproduce what happened to me the other day on a flight.

3 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

An interesting experiment and  some good piloting skills to get your plane safely back on the ground again.:)

Thanks Martyn.  I was making a nice flight from Miami to St. Maarten the other day when at 35K feet the entire plane shut off.  Well, I found out it was a known but VERY rare bug in their plane.  So they told me to upgrade to the experiment version.  In my post someone said I probably ran out of fuel.  So I wanted to duplicate this to see if it was the same result.  It wasn't.  The first was a bug and the second one was different.  I could still use the battery.  I just wish Aerosoft had added a RAT (ram air turbine) to this plane.  I worked this system on real jets, it's a propellor that drops down from the belly.  But you know something?  I don't know if the A319 has one!  All the Boeings do though.

Just now, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Martyn.  I was making a nice flight from Miami to St. Maarten the other day when at 35K feet the entire plane shut off.  Well, I found out it was a known but VERY rare bug in their plane.  So they told me to upgrade to the experiment version.  In my post someone said I probably ran out of fuel.  So I wanted to duplicate this to see if it was the same result.  It wasn't.  The first was a bug and the second one was different.  I could still use the battery.  I just wish Aerosoft had added a RAT (ram air turbine) to this plane.  I worked this system on real jets, it's a propellor that drops down from the belly.  But you know something?  I don't know if the A319 has one!  All the Boeings do though.

Yes, from what I can remember the CS 777 has a RAT on it.

I was a passenger in an A22 Foxbat that did a dead stick landing at Temora many years ago. The pilot was a flight instructor and it was so interesting to have the experience. There was no emergency, he was just demonstrating what the plane could do.:)

2 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Yes, from what I can remember the CS 777 has a RAT on it.

I was a passenger in an A22 Foxbat that did a dead stick landing at Temora many years ago. The pilot was a flight instructor and it was so interesting to have the experience. There was no emergency, he was just demonstrating what the plane could do.:)

I just looked it up, the 320 has a RAT but can't find if a 319 does.  Those things are amazing, they have to be put in cages when powered in test on the ground, they're loud as heck and could kill a person in a split second.  

1 minute ago, gumbypickett said:

Jack. looking at your Avatar  I would be frightened getting on board 

with 100% fuel. :lol::lol::lol:( only joking):D

cheers

Gumby

Thanks Gumby, that's Fred Nerd from Comic Strip Factory, it's what I use to make comics.

Great idea, Jack. Dou you remember the Canadian A330 that lost all engine power while flying over the Atlantic Ocean in 2001. It ran out of fuel due to a leak caused by improper maintenance. Again, the captain was an experienced glider, so he managed to glide the plane with 306 people on board without power (but the RAT deployed) for 65 nautical miles to the next emergency airport on the Azores. All people survived!

Just now, bernd1151 said:

Great idea, Jack. Dou you remember the Canadian A330 that lost all engine power while flying over the Atlantic Ocean in 2001. It ran out of fuel due to a leak caused by improper maintenance. Again, the captain was an experienced glider, so he managed to glide the plane with 306 people on board without power (but the RAT deployed) for 65 nautical miles to the next emergency airport on the Azores. All people survived!

Thanks Bernd.  Yes, it seems like so long ago.  I gotta hand it to these pilots, and it shows just how redundant these aircraft really are.  I mean they have backups upon backups.

Archived