....and now for something completely sensible.

VH-KDK

After my last 2 posts from Shoreham it is something more mundane as I continue my flight in the Uno.

1.yiyVEoC.jpg

A view of EGKA from the east.

2.JGZMInx.jpg

Well north of the airport and the old Shoreham Cement Works on Steyning Road.

3.eh3jX15.jpg

Plans are now afoot to tidy up the old site. The River Adur can be seen here.

4.xCg2vV5.jpg

First started in 1868 the Lancing College Chapel remains unfinished.

5.fccGGMK.jpg

The original plans called for a tower at the western end of the chapel.

6.ygMlMo5.jpg

Dating from WW2 is Shoreham's Dome Trainer which was used for gunnery training.

7.ti0PRjE.jpg

Back at the airport and preparing to land.

8.R0CCWKX.jpg

Parked up at the end of the flight.

41 minutes ago, BradB said:

I am jealous of you wealth of knowledge around GB Martyn  , for me I'm just flying around blind . :'(:o:(

Cheers

John

So many familiar places for me down south but not so the further north I go.:P

I am lost when I fly in the US but it is always exciting to discover new places and see some of the history.:D

Great shots and info, Martyn. I was 'out' around there last night and was wondering about what you've now revealed as the Shoreham cement works. Quite noticeable form a distance. (oh, and aren't you cold flying around this part of the world in shorts?)

Well, I am back in town and do have time again to see all your wonderful screenshots.

These shots are really beautiful, Martyn.

Especially nr. 4, which made me think when Anthony Fokker flew his plane (De Spin, [Spider]) over St. Bavo church in Haarlem, August 31th 1911

image.png.e3786b77d9f10db3976e9a15755410cf.png

8 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Great shots and info, Martyn. I was 'out' around there last night and was wondering about what you've now revealed as the Shoreham cement works. Quite noticeable form a distance. (oh, and aren't you cold flying around this part of the world in shorts?)

Thank you Andy.

The works have been shut since the early 90s and now there are plans to build a village on the site with over 2000 dwellings as well as many amenities.

As long as I wear the reasonably tight shorts it is not too draughty but frostbite has to be avoided at all costs!:ph34r::o:lol:

4 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Well, I am back in town and do have time again to see all your wonderful screenshots.

These shots are really beautiful, Martyn.

Especially nr. 4, which made me think when Anthony Fokker flew his plane (De Spin, [Spider]) over St. Bavo church in Haarlem, August 31th 1911

image.png.e3786b77d9f10db3976e9a15755410cf.png

Thanks Fred and great to see this piece of history.:)

Obviously an aspiring aviator!:wacko:

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

A yellow plane over fantastic scenery - but no bridges ?!

Nice dresscode of your pilot, good that summer is locked into TE GB.

My pilots are always properly attired Gerold and there is always a bottle of St Remy waiting back at the airport to bring the colour back to the cheeks!8)

The bridge was another story and in XP things turn very dramatic when an error of judgement is made.:o:o:lol:

2 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Martyn. At first I didn't think it was your post because you mentioned "completely sensible":rolleyes:. Kidding, great job and wonderful narrative as always.:)

Cheers Karl.

Well even I have off days, not too sure about the result though.:unsure:

I read the title and thought 'surely not' then rechecked the poster.  All I can say is, for someone who did his brexit a long time ago, you're certainly presenting some very knowledgeable posts.  In Scottish schools in the forties and fifties, we were never taught much about England - we knew it was there and that was that so keep up the good work. 

Archived