Down to Jervis Bay

VH-KDK

I posted the first part of a flight form Wollongong to Jervis Bay.

1.GKVRJqU.jpg

Passing Kiama, a popular tourist spot for its surfing beaches and blow hole. 

2.UzJtxa6.jpg

Shoalhaven Heads, River and Bight. Obviously not too much imagination went into the naming of the features here.

3.3GuO5h6.jpg

JYBY with the expanse of Jervis Bay in the background with Mary and Summercloud Bays bottom right.

4.ju1bux0.jpg

Coming into land over Jervis Bay Nature Reserve. Bring your shades on a sunny day as Jervis Bay is reputed to have the whitest sand in the world.

5.EDPGYvw.jpg

The Firefly has remarkably repaired itself after nosing over on landing.

6.njg6wBe.jpg

JYBY was opened in 1941 as an RAAF torpedo plane training base as well as having SAR based here.

7.C6lqR7e.jpg

In 1945 several Fleet Air Arm squadrons were based here before the base being transferred to the Navy.

8.NTyybi7.jpg

Jindivik pilotless target planes were based here as were the Beech MQM-107s.

9.PXTNw67.jpg

Today there is a Navy school of ship survivability which deals in fire and damage control.

I hope you enjoyed the flight.

Very interesting post, Martyn, well done!

Peg legged Pete: "The shark was 30 feet long and snatched my leg. Since then I have to wear these pegs, or else my leg would fall off!!"

And the guy in the hangar? Looks like the capo di tutti capi of Jervis Bay! :lol:

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, Iain Emms said:

Great shots Martyn nice to see old peg leg pete is still alive:D

cheers

Iain

He is still around waiting for the Pequod to come and collect him.:huh:

Though with the company he is keeping he is in no hurry.>:D:wub::o

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:03 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Great perspective on these shots Martyn but that one guy, he looks like he's doing yoga with a leg brace on. :huh::)

Thanks Jack, I didn't know her name was Yoga!:o

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:58 AM, Aussie123 said:

Nice shots Martyn.

I was lucky enough to see the twenty Navy ships forming up in Jervis Bay one day when I was down there. An impressive site.

http://news.navy.gov.au/en/Oct2013/Events/477/Twenty-ships-a-magnificent-sight-in-Jervis-Bay.htm#.W7vDuvZuK00

That must have been a wonderful thing to see, ships from so many countries too.:)

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey, VH-KDK. Really nice shots of a really nice plane. Very enjoyable.  But tell the guy in #7 that the mating dance of the Royal Purple Plumager doesn't work very well with today's modern young woman. ;)

Thanks Rodger, he very lucky that is the closed hunting season for the Royal Purple Plumager although if her husband finds out he might be in strife.:o

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, Captain Lars said:

Very interesting post, Martyn, well done!

Peg legged Pete: "The shark was 30 feet long and snatched my leg. Since then I have to wear these pegs, or else my leg would fall off!!"

And the guy in the hangar? Looks like the capo di tutti capi of Jervis Bay! :lol:

Cheers Lars, there are indeed some very interesting characters at this location.

Never trust a shark and you wont see Pete on wash days either unless he is going to the hop.:huh:

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, adambar said:

What is the guy in the suit doing looking out of the hanger in #8 :huh::unsure::D  Nice shots Martyn! :)

Thanks Adam, he is waiting for the package I am carrying in the back seat of the Firefly, but don't tell anyone as it is a secret.8)

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:17 PM, Aussieflyer38 said:

Great Shots and story Martyn, you sure are up there with your geography and history, you put this old Aussie to shame.:(

Don

Thanks Don, plenty of info to be gleaned in places.;)

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, Stillwater said:

Nice flight and history lesson, Martyn. Did you also spot whales approaching to the Bay?

Thank you Gerold, no it was too misty to see that far today.:rolleyes:

I will have to do a flight out of Bristol, I should see Wales from there.:wacko:

Archived