The most perfect cone

VH-KDK

Mount Shishaldin is on Unimak Island and at 9373 ft is the highest peak in the Aleutian Chain.

Not only that but above 6500ft the contour lines are almost perfect circles making it the most perfect symmetrical high mountain on the planet.

k7jo4bZ.jpg

I cant remember if I mentioned before but I have the Virtavia Neptune working in V4.0 too.

So there!

Hey Martyn. Wonderful shot. I love the ORBX Aleutian chain. It goes from forested to barren as you fly it and has all sorts of glacial and volcanic activity to look at. I do have one question though---did the Neptune guys ping any submarines while they were over Shishalden? The Soviets were pretty clever about such things back then.  :rollmyeyes:

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, Captain Lars said:

Thanks Martyn for the information - I have heard of many mountains being praised for their symmetrical appearance, but I didn't know that the most symmetrical one is in Alaska. Good find!

Thanks Lars, it is amazing coming across stuff like this. I just chose the image because of the view and was pleasantly surprised that it was something special.:)

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Martyn. Wonderful shot. I love the ORBX Aleutian chain. It goes from forested to barren as you fly it and has all sorts of glacial and volcanic activity to look at. I do have one question though---did the Neptune guys ping any submarines while they were over Shishalden? The Soviets were pretty clever about such things back then.  :rollmyeyes:

Thanks Rodger, I always have to cheat with the weather though. :rolleyes:

The only thing we came across was a flotilla of Indonesian fishing boats that lost their way trying to get to Australia.:huh:

I hope the people they were carrying enjoy Unalaska. :unsure:

As long as there is a welfare office there they will be happy!:lol:

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice shot and excellent information, I never knew that either Martyn, thanks for sharing that, it's cool to learn this.

Thanks Jack, a big surprise for me too.:)

Me too? Now where have I heard that before.:huh:

Perfect shot, Martyn.

The Neptune reminds me to my childhood when we always celebrated summer holidays at the beach, relative close to the now closed marine base EHVB.

Lots of Neptunes where stationed there and they always flew very low along the coastline.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:57 AM, TigerTigerM said:

Nice shot.

Virtavia?

I think I have some of theirs over in hangar 43.

Must check:)

TTM

It is TTM, I have all my Virtavia planes and choppers going in V4.0 except for the Caribou.:P

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, olderndirt said:

Start calling you "Wiki" as in pedia.  Good to learn about where you fly.  My favorite cone was from a little Ice cream shop in Scotland.

Thanks for the compliment OND BUT you still spell Qantas with a U.:lol::lol::lol:

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, Sundancer said:

Perfect shot, Martyn.

The Neptune reminds me to my childhood when we always celebrated summer holidays at the beach, relative close to the now closed marine base EHVB.

Lots of Neptunes where stationed there and they always flew very low along the coastline.

Thanks Fred, those were the days with the beautiful radial planes.

In 1980, I was heading back to the dairy on my milk float near to Eastleigh Airport when I saw a beautiful Neptune fly across the road ahead.

Like me, one of the milkmxn(:lol:) was a spotter and was very excited to have seen this Dutch Navy visitor.

The first one I had ever seen but we are lucky to have one flying here in Oz. 

Archived