More like a red back

VH-KDK

Last week I finally took a flight in the P-61 Black Widow.

Only a short one just to try it out.

These colours do remind me of the Australian Red Back spider.

1.b3YzRHl.jpg

Departing KMUO

2.KRt3he4.jpg

What does this switch do?

3.VV68G3n.jpg

I hope the empty shell cases didn't hit any one down below.

4.g59TpeQ.jpg

A bombing range I have forgotten the name of.

5.D9c5RrP.jpg

On the edge of the irrigation area.

6.ityw7K6.jpg

One of the many planes I have with the authentic R-2800 engine sound set installed. A beautiful sound.

7.5fiv6SU.jpg

End of flight. It was bed time.

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent shots Martyn, I love the way the sun reflects off the twin rudders!  I never saw one of those spiders, so I assume they're venomous?

Cheers Jack, great lighting to be had at dawn.:)

The Black Widow family including the Oz Red Back is venomous but I was reading last night that the antidote can cause more trouble than the actual bite. The bite is non fatal but can be very unpleasant for some.:o

3 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Wonderful dawn shots, Martyn. I never got anything to shoot in FS actually!

Cheers Lars.

I tried switching on the strobes and this is what happened!:o

Luckily no body was flying in front of me.:lol:

These colours & screenies look so great, but...

10 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

These colours do remind me of the Australian Red Back spider.

... don´t talk about Aussie spiders, I am in the process of convincing my family to make a vacation in Australia... :o

The Black Widows didn't get as much publicity as some of the fighters with established reputations, but everything I've read by opposition pilots says that these critters were not to be messed with. Very agile and lots of guns. It sure would fill my diapers to have to take one on. Thanks for great shots!

35 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

These colours & screenies look so great, but...

... don´t talk about Aussie spiders, I am in the process of convincing my family to make a vacation in Australia... :o

These are only small ones Gerold, you know which ones have the biggest fear factor to Arachnophobes don't you.

Anyway last year was a safer year as there was only two instances of people being dragged into the undergrowth and devoured by spiders!:o:ph34r::ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

The Black Widows didn't get as much publicity as some of the fighters with established reputations, but everything I've read by opposition pilots says that these critters were not to be messed with. Very agile and lots of guns. It sure would fill my diapers to have to take one on. Thanks for great shots!

The same in England Rodger, it was one of those elusive planes that was barely mentioned. 

A very potent plane and very manoeuvrable for it's size.

Well, at least one of those pics was a rootin, tootin guns a shootin shot and the others were just Great! :lol:  Wonder if the Brown Recluse could hold it's own against a Red Back?  Awfully colorful names for such nasty little critters! :unsure:

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Cheers Lars.

I tried switching on the strobes and this is what happened!:o

Luckily no body was flying in front of me.:lol:

VH-KDK just a note to say that you can disable those guns by going into the plane cfg file and scrolling down to "guns" and deleting the line. Of course, you won't have gunfire after that, but there isn't much call for live fire in FSX anyway. A number of the older freeware fighters have to be "corrected" like this.

12 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Do not hesitate to go there with family, Gerold...I just came back a few weeks ago from Western Australia : it is really really great to visit, and with sympathical people - plenty of amazing camping places in the natural parks (and good weather despite winter season excepted rain and a bit cold south & near Perth)

( I am at the end of a very long post about the country...something different #5 ... with plenty of pictures showing how beautiful is the western area and aboriginal culture...and including one red back spider shots between many many others animals B) )

23 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Last week I finally took a flight in the P-61 Black Widow.

Only a short one just to try it out.

These colours do remind me of the Australian Red Back spider

nice sunrise trip Martyn - and great choice for the plane, its livery ... and spider comparison :)

19 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Well, at least one of those pics was a rootin, tootin guns a shootin shot and the others were just Great! :lol:  Wonder if the Brown Recluse could hold it's own against a Red Back?  Awfully colorful names for such nasty little critters! :unsure:

Not to mention it was highfalutin Roger!:o

That would be an interesting contest, lucky they are both small spiders, unlike the notorious Sydney Funnel Web.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_funnel-web_spider

14 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

VH-KDK just a note to say that you can disable those guns by going into the plane cfg file and scrolling down to "guns" and deleting the line. Of course, you won't have gunfire after that, but there isn't much call for live fire in FSX anyway. A number of the older freeware fighters have to be "corrected" like this.

Thanks for that Rodger, I just found it by accident and if I had read the notes I would have probably seen that gunfire was available.:rolleyes:

Luckily I was able to turn it off and I will have to make a note of this "fix" for other planes.

10 hours ago, jean marc said:

Do not hesitate to go there with family, Gerold...I just came back a few weeks ago from Western Australia : it is really really great to visit, and with sympathical people - plenty of amazing camping places in the natural parks (and good weather despite winter season excepted rain and a bit cold south & near Perth)

( I am at the end of a very long post about the country...something different #5 ... with plenty of pictures showing how beautiful is the western area and aboriginal culture...and including one red back spider shots between many many others animals B) )

I am glad you enjoyed your trip down under and I hope shall look forwards to seeing some photos of your holiday.

The west is part of Australia I have never visited.

11 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I am glad you enjoyed your trip down under and I hope shall look forwards to seeing some photos of your holiday.

I have preprared about 50 screenshots for the coming post (I hope to have time to finish it this evening ...),  with maybe 300 pictures inserted on them about Australia - most of them are landscapes and animals I shot during the trip therefore yes you will see some photos...a lot ... from South to North of the Western Coast  :)

Archived