Introducing CityScene Barcelona!

From Allen Kriesman - the developer who brought you CityScene Gold Coast, we at Orbx are pleased to announce CityScene Barcelona for FSX and all versions of P3D! 

18.thumb.jpg.0de83c3c16bcfae3b3416c745aa4a4d5.jpg

Orbx CityScene is a new line of scenery products that will recreate urban centres and cityscapes around the world in incredible detail. Building upon thousands of hours of R&D over several years, Allen's ground-breaking new technology enables highly-detailed scenery, coupled with highly improved performance and optimisation compared to default city centres. Bypassing traditional autogen methods, buildings correctly replicate unusual footprints, improve on building height and type accuracy, and even add more details for an immersive experience. Vegetation, lighting, terrain, traffic, are all fully integrated. Most importantly, CityScene technology uses next-gen optimisation techniques to ensure the very best performance.

Barcelona is a city in Spain and is the capital and largest city of Catalonia. With a population of 1.6 million within city limits, its urban area extends to numerous neighbouring suburbs within the Province of Barcelona and is home to around 4.8 million people. This makes Barcelona the sixth most populous urban area in the European Union. It is the largest metropolis on the Mediterranean Sea, located on the coast between the mouths of the rivers Llobregat and Besòs, and bounded to the west by the Serra de Collserola mountain range. 

Orbx CityScene Barcelona includes seven custom point of interest locations:

• Hospital de la Santa Creu
  • World Trade Center Of Barcelona
  • Badalona Golf Center
  • Pavelló Olímpic de Badalona
  • Parc de Recerca Biomedica de Barcelona
  • La Monamental
  • Central Térmica de Sant Adrià de Besòs

ORBX CITYSCENE FEATURES

• Highly detailed, accurate representation of Barcelona, Spain and surrounds
  • Nearly 1 million accurately placed regional trees
  • Over 100,000 accurately sized, shaped and positioned custom buildings
  • Over 211,000 efficient roof objects, lighting, container and box car objects,
  • 812 hand placed library objects (including OrbxLib objects)
  • 7 point of interest buildings in addition to re-positioned core sim POI's for area
  • Expertly optimised using ground-breaking techniques for best performance

In addition to the Barcelona CityScene region, we have included a bonus version of LEBL Barcelona El-Prat Airport to work with the surrounding area. This airport is designed with the same efficient technology used in our Cityscene line. Our bonus LEBL provides much more detail over the default airport, without any additional frame rate loss. While this isn't an equivalent to a heavily detailed commercial airport add-on, it is a great way to get the full Barcelona experience without compromising performance. 

CityScene Barcelona will be sold for $24.95 AUD (approx. USD $19.50 / €16 / £14 ) 

Please note that CityScene Barcelona is not compatible with LatinVFR Barcelona.

What does CityScene mean?

• Highly detailed city and urban landscapes brought to life
  • Accurate and detailed buildings that go far beyond the limitations of the P3D autogen system
  • Realistic photoreal/satellite orthoimagery base
  • Dense and highly-accurate vegetation placement
  • Road traffic, vector, mesh (DEM) and landclass where required
  • Full 5 seasons (where applicable) and complete night lighting
  • Important POI, landmarks and features modeled
  • Optimized for the best balance between performance and detail

Coverage area map:

Coverage.thumb.PNG.2fd3c198280a34b7e5f03ea0b8acd7a3.PNG

Here are a few screenshots from Emmsie Jon. Don't forget to stay tuned here and on our Facebook and Twitter pages for plenty more shots and features over the coming days!

21.thumb.jpg.a1c5e06807bf373e80732fa8cd27f981.jpg

25.thumb.jpg.80c971cb96da33865ec37c6ace694280.jpg24.thumb.jpg.a3936dd31a8de3cc4621f68b5f5f255e.jpg23.thumb.jpg.ac6ea8629296df430b27e8bc71bc7d9b.jpg22.thumb.jpg.202dae8479a56890f2eadcdbdb2218a2.jpg
20.thumb.jpg.b458fb7c3f1b60016ed84fdcf4fe8724.jpg3.thumb.jpg.a4bea192b7366654f7fa840967116c30.jpg19.thumb.jpg.e934937de412cd8db7bba9599427a130.jpg
17.thumb.jpg.e63bd76f15f3b3f752d77849789318e7.jpg16.thumb.jpg.069bff9de953aa31f3e9dfe8a064bd92.jpg15.thumb.jpg.8ee4bf92aa663c61c669bb83039fa32a.jpg14.thumb.jpg.2365de46e92a356c93bbe016a6986e60.jpg13.thumb.jpg.5922945093e48a3434db5bc04422d4b5.jpg12.thumb.jpg.c15285186c5ea482b6b3a645f173b36f.jpg11.thumb.jpg.84d001764e9fe395d72cea29b01b621b.jpg10.thumb.jpg.296b3511812ae7836129aadce9dce71b.jpg9.thumb.jpg.de425cd4c665634880f3ecc9fecca84b.jpg8.thumb.jpg.33f89bf5cdd6cdab5281b3aa0cdfbcc3.jpg7.thumb.jpg.8682bbe17daade0c760f3bc0c180f95b.jpg6.thumb.jpg.866b97447d32a746d80de73d8e9e58ee.jpg5.thumb.jpg.d2e87c613b6c1c2d770b440fb63033e3.jpg4.thumb.jpg.b148e27601bd36a92369c992c89ccb21.jpg2.thumb.jpg.5b8f5784cc8fa9abdbda2d8cb34503cc.jpg1.thumb.jpg.949bf94cf15359a927d590ce384df916.jpg

Great stuff!

Wondering how this will blend with Aerosoft Barcelona Professional scenery as that has modelled photoscenery city as well. Maybe ORBX LEBL in the future (crossing fingers and toes and everything else possible and hoping)?

1 hour ago, Nicrative said:

Great stuff!

Wondering how this will blend with Aerosoft Barcelona Professional scenery as that has modelled photoscenery city as well. Maybe ORBX LEBL in the future (crossing fingers and toes and everything else possible and hoping)?

FWIW, CityScene Barcelona has been tested successfully with Aerosoft's Barcelona Professional Scenery.    All you have to do is run the SimWings configuration tool and disable the City portion of the SimWings product.     There are instructions in the CityScene Barcelona Users Guide.

Well Aimee, this is really great stuff. To keep up the quality of City Scene Gold Coast is good

to see. The ORBX  developers certainly don't let the grass grow under there feet.

Looking forward to a lot more like this, and at reasonable prices to boot.

Kevin

7 minutes ago, akriesman said:

FWIW, CityScene Barcelona has been tested successfully with Aerosoft's Barcelona Professional Scenery.    All you have to do is run the SimWings configuration tool and disable the City portion of the SimWings product.     There are instructions in the CityScene Barcelona Users Guide.

Excellent news! Thanks for the information.

There are airports by JustSim and LatinVFR which also include city scenery.

I was going to purchase Aerosoft LEBL, as it includes the most accurate city modelling and textures, however I prefer the airport from JustSim.
I think now I'll buy ORBX CityScene + JustSim LEBL, so how will this work with compatibility?

Thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, greybeard said:

Well Aimee, this is really great stuff. To keep up the quality of City Scene Gold Coast is good

to see. The ORBX  developers certainly don't let the grass grow under there feet.

Looking forward to a lot more like this, and at reasonable prices to boot.

Kevin

We are definitely a busy bunch ;) Thanks for the kind words and I hope you enjoy - it'll be out before you know it!

1 hour ago, Michael Boeck said:

WoW I can't wait to take it Info: the scenery Mega Airport Barcelona professional must be uninstalled?

sorry my bad english :D

Hi,

No it has been tested.  please see Allen's post; #5 above.

11 hours ago, akriesman said:

Cheers,

9 hours ago, shhmule said:

There are airports by JustSim and LatinVFR which also include city scenery.

I was going to purchase Aerosoft LEBL, as it includes the most accurate city modelling and textures, however I prefer the airport from JustSim.
I think now I'll buy ORBX CityScene + JustSim LEBL, so how will this work with compatibility?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

This combination (ORBX CityScene and JustSim LEBL) has been tested and it works very well.

Cheers,

I knew it was coming! Thanks for this!

Barcelona is a city I fell in love with as I've been there several times and know it so well.

That being said, I must convince myself not to have too great expectations since I know a lot of detail which are too small or unknown to model into the city.

3 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

What a pleasant surprise this! No em puc creer. Estic flipant, or so they say... :D

That said, I hope it will be nicely compatible with LatinVFR's Barcelona that I own. 

Yes flipando :D

I have Barcelona pro by Aerosoft, hope it will compatible too unless thiers is detailed. I think Cityscapes that contain an airport, should it fully detailed, otherwise we're forced to buy third party addons. Or at least create it apart if it is about money but for keeping the quality, compatibility and performance this should be whole, airport and city. A jewl, every time they launch one.

Very nice.

I'm just not entirely sure whether the marketing for this product is entirely fitting: "Explore the heart of Espana"?

With all the talk of secession going on in Catalonia it is quite clear that this is NOT the region one would call the heart of Spain, and I'm quite sure people from Barcelona would agree.

The real heart of Spain as a region would be Castile and Madrid or Toledo as a city.

3 hours ago, KVSandleben said:

Very nice.

I'm just not entirely sure whether the marketing for this product is entirely fitting: "Explore the heart of Espana"?

With all the talk of secession going on in Catalonia it is quite clear that this is NOT the region one would call the heart of Spain, and I'm quite sure people from Barcelona would agree.

The real heart of Spain as a region would be Castile and Madrid or Toledo as a city.

It depends on your point of view:

If you're a catalan independentista, the slogan is a punch in your stomach and will cause you anger. (roughly 48% of the people living in Catalonia, according to the last elections)

If your a catalan unionista, then you're going to like it. (about 52% of the populace of Catalonia)

If your a spaniard from one of the other regions, you're probably going to think "wait, Barcelona, the jeart of España? Never!"

Geographically, the  heart of of the Iberian peninsula is in or near Madrid.

Historically, the heart of Spain is farther to the north, in Castile and León, around Burgos and Palencia. Toledo, being the capital for a long period of time, could also be called the heart of Spain.

I agree that the slogan is not smart. Perhaps @Aimee Sanjari or someone else from the staff agrees and does something about it. What about "The pearl of the Western Mediterranean"? I'd like it, but perhaps the people of Valencia would disagree? :rollmyeyes: :D

2 hours ago, Aimee Sanjari said:

@Captain Lars and @KVSandleben Thank you guys for bringing this up. It’s super important that we get the details right, not just in scenery but in the text as well. I’ve made some amends and want to thank you for teaching me something new today! :)

Cheers,

Aimee 

Your welcome. It's super cool that you took my proposal for a slogan. It makes me happy that I could contribute something. :)

I am very happy because it is my city, the work is superb and the performance is incredible.

Having said that, I am surprised that such exquisite and detailed work has overlooked POIs that are included in much less exhaustive work, such as LatinVFR Barcelona airport or Simwings Barcelona Professional.

They're not insignificant things, that's why I'm surprised:

Montjuïc Castle
Wela Hotel
Basilica del Tibidabo

Parque de Atracciones del Tibidabo
Maremagnum (building and bridge, next to the WTC, in the port of Barcelona)
Buildings in the Hospitalet 2 area

I insist that all of them are included in both airports.

(In fact, I was the one who detailed to the developers of one of those products about the things that needed to be included to make it credible to fly over the city, at least in an approach to LEBL on the 25R, sending them lots of pictures and Google Earth locations, as well as supervising the work).

Still, congratulations on this excellent work. 

Cheers from Barcelona

Ok, I was not aware of this. Especially the WELA Hotel I don't understand, if you fly past the coast, it is really a POI easily recognizable. How could this be missed out?

11 hours ago, Gerardius said:

I am very happy because it is my city, the work is superb and the performance is incredible.

Having said that, I am surprised that such exquisite and detailed work has overlooked POIs that are included in much less exhaustive work, such as LatinVFR Barcelona airport or Simwings Barcelona Professional.

Montjuïc Castle
Wela Hotel
Basilica del Tibidabo

(In fact, I was the one who detailed to the developers of one of those products about the things that needed to be included to make it credible to fly over the city, at least in an approach to LEBL on the 25R, sending them lots of pictures and Google Earth locations, as well as supervising the work).

Cheers from Barcelona

I completely agree with you, I also was wondering wy this POI's are not included, in first I thought it was work in progress pictures! But hey they did a great work and I'm convinced that they will find a solution!

Best regards 

Daniel

12 hours ago, Gerardius said:

Montjuïc Castle
Wela Hotel
Basilica del Tibidabo

Cheers from Barcelona

I can answer this question as POI's are such a catch-22 for us.

All of these new Cityscapes are created with custom software that allows tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of custom buildings that are accurately sized and placed, with little impact on frame rates.   This is achieved by using shared texture sheets, low poly buildings and a unique way to compile scenery that allows over 500 objects to be compiled as a single object and rendered using a single draw call.

In contrast to this, you can have single detailed POI's that are created using tens of thousands of polygons that require many draw calls to render.

Because objects in the Cityscapes are viewed from a moving aircraft, as opposed to airport buildings where detail is more important, we refrain from creating any POI's whose details are going to really bog down performance.    It is not out of the question to have a single POI that hurts performance more than 5,000 lower poly but accurately sized and placed buildings (those created by our software).     Any POI's that have a lot of curved surfaces eat up polygons especially.   This includes things like castles, churches and custom buildings.

In addition to the performance degredation, there is of course the extended development time needed to hand create a single POI (we are trying to keep the Cityscape costs down).

I hope this helps explain why, unlike detailed airport scenery packages, you will not find a lot of extremely detailed POI's in our Cityscapes.    With that said, if there is a really iconic POI that can be rendered without a terrible performance hit, we are all for providing them.

The POI's that we did include in this scenery, in addition to those FSX/P3D library objects that were rescaled and positioned, we chosen because of their availability and mild performance hit.

PS-Looking at this list of objects, I agree that the WELA Hotel would be a good candidate for a POI due to the location in the flight path and importance.   We could probably create a decent rendering of the object without too much of a performance hit.

These 3 objects however, Montjuïc Castle, Basilica del Tibidabo and Parque de Atracciones del Tibidabo would appear to be both difficult to develop efficiently.

Thanks for your explanation, I understand it. Anyway, I believe that Montjuïc Castle should be a good candidate too, because it's composed mainly by squares and is the hallmark of the Montjuïc mountain, very visible and characteristic of the city's landscape, as well as being in the middle of the approach path to runway 25R, which is the most commonly used for landings at LEBL.

Greetings from Barcelona and thank you so much for this great scenery. :)

Archived