Looking for higher ground.

VH-KDK

This flight is in the south eastern corner of The Netherlands where we shall be looking for some mountains for EMM.

1.ma1.jpg

Away from EHBK Maastricht-Aachen.

2.ma2.jpg

The A79 road between Houthem and Valkenberg. 

3.ma3.jpg

Over the town of Gulpen. 

4.ma4.jpg

Vaals in The Netherlands is to the right and Vaalserquartier in Germany is to the left. You can see the join between GEN and Ned TE. Look carefully at the two styles of scenery.

5.ma5.jpg

At 322.7 m Vaalserberg is the highest point in The Netherlands. The DH.82 is actually over Belgium and looking across the border.

6.ma6.jpg

AH4 becomes the A76 as it crosses into the Netherlands and again you can see the difference in the two scenery styles. The outskirts of Aachen can also be seen top right.

7.ma7.jpg

Now at Heerlen with the Parkstad Limburg, home of Roda JC Kerkrade Football Club.

8.ma8.jpg

Heerlen Railway Station and the centre of the town are seen here.

9.ma9.jpg

Geilenkirchen AB ETNG which is the main operating base of NATOs E-3 Sentry aircraft.

10.ma10.jpg

We are going to land at the nearby Schinveld glider strip. By looking to the right you can see how close the two airports are.

11.ma11.jpg

Over the town of Schinveld

12.ma12.jpg

Landing at the second attempt.

13.ma13.jpg

Plenty of flora at this delightful strip.

14.ma14.jpg

Three views of some of the things to be found here.

15.ma15.jpg

I think this small strip is so well done remembering that it is just part of this incredibly detailed country.

16.ma16.jpg

The table is waiting for us to unwind after taking in this latest ORBX masterpiece.

I hope you enjoyed this flight to three countries which is quite easy to do in parts of Europe!

Your knowledge of The Netherlands is amazing, Martyn.

Your name sounds Dutch as well, ...do you have Dutch roots by chance ?

Shot 4: Ned TE looks greener....we do have more rain :o

Tip: Follow the river Meuse to the North, it flows just west of EHBK

Cheers Fred

15 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Your knowledge of The Netherlands is amazing, Martyn.

Your name sounds Dutch as well, ...do you have Dutch roots by chance ?

Shot 4: Ned TE looks greener....we do have more rain :o

Tip: Follow the river Meuse to the North, it flows just west of EHBK

Cheers Fred

Thanks Fred, there is so much to look at for such a small(compared to Australia that is!) country.

No Dutch ancestors I am afraid Fred but one of the many countries the name derives from is The Netherlands.

I will try and remember to do a flight along the Meuse, cheers for the tip.

12 minutes ago, BradB said:

Excellent set of shots Martyn from the "Mountain's" of the Netherlands , sadly EMM will be a bit underwhelmed by their size and magnitude . :):rolleyes:;):(:D

Cheers

John

Thank you John.

The good thing about these mountains is that EMM can either fly his plane over them or drive his truck to the top very easily.:o

Excellent shots, Martyn, and I am particularly impressed by the careful blending of the scenery both in colour and form, at the country borders.  It is quite magnificent work by Orbx.

I have downloaded 70.16% and only some 18hrs left at around 300Kb/s.  Hopefully overnight it will speed up a little and finish the job tomorrow, then I will follow you around the scenery. I have decided to persist with this punishment, but it just won't be possible in the future when there are bigger download sizes involved.

Are you in fact a geography teacher Martyn? Or maybe you were a teacher at some point in your life? Well, in any case, a wonderfully narrated set of shots over the Netherlands again. :) 

Great tour & shots, Martyn. And, thanks for your geo references.

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

You can see the join between GEN and Ned TE. Look carefully at the two styles of scenery.

Indeed, good to see that. The better is the enemy of the good - optical, not downoadwise.

2 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Are you in fact a geography teacher Martyn? Or maybe you were a teacher at some point in your life? Well, in any case, a wonderfully narrated set of shots over the Netherlands again. :) 

I agree Landon, Martyn is a valuable geographical resource and I always appreciate the effort he puts in to do this, it ain’t easy, I’ve tried his method and it’s very time consuming but it sure makes the scenery stand out with those descriptions 

That's the best way to do it, explore this superb place low and slow, Martyn. Very well done!

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

We don't have them.

That's why our cars don't have parking brakes.....not necessary :P

Best regards

-Fred-

I love this, Fred

9 hours ago, macca22au said:

Excellent shots, Martyn, and I am particularly impressed by the careful blending of the scenery both in colour and form, at the country borders.  It is quite magnificent work by Orbx.

I have downloaded 70.16% and only some 18hrs left at around 300Kb/s.  Hopefully overnight it will speed up a little and finish the job tomorrow, then I will follow you around the scenery. I have decided to persist with this punishment, but it just won't be possible in the future when there are bigger download sizes involved.

Thanks Ian, they have indeed done a fantastic job but would we expect any different.

If you need any help in the future regarding downloads just get in touch and I will do my best to help.:D

9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Superb trip Martyn and another great narrative.  I learn more from you than I ever did from a geography teacher.  Your shots look a lot better than mine, I'll have to look at my settings again.

Many thanks for the compliments Jack and I am glad you are enjoying my flights.:)

6 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Thanks Landon, no I have never been a teacher but I have done a lot of learning, usually the hard way.:lol:

I have always been interested in Geography though along with history.:D

5 hours ago, Sundancer said:

We don't have them.

That's why our cars don't have parking brakes.....not necessary :P

Best regards

-Fred-

So that is why your bicycles in Amsterdam don't have parking brakes either Fred.:huh:

I have always wondered.:wacko:

5 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Great tour & shots, Martyn. And, thanks for your geo references.

Indeed, good to see that. The better is the enemy of the good - optical, not downoadwise.

Cheers Gerold, it is interesting to see the progression from default now to TE.:)

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I agree Landon, Martyn is a valuable geographical resource and I always appreciate the effort he puts in to do this, it ain’t easy, I’ve tried his method and it’s very time consuming but it sure makes the scenery stand out with those descriptions 

Thanks for that Jack and it does take a very long time to do these posts.:huh:

Google, in their infinite wisdom, made it much easier by removing the photo layer a few weeks ago.:rolleyes::angry::(

3 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

That's the best way to do it, explore this superb place low and slow, Martyn. Very well done!

I love this, Fred

Thank you Bernd, I don't think my old PC could take anything faster than the Tiger Moth.:o

2 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Love your paint - blends almost perfectly with the countryside.  Probably take a while to find the wreckage :).

Thanks OD, I must make a point not to fly when the canola is in bloom unless I want to remain anon that is.:wacko:

Wow great shots Martyn. I am looking for higher grounds too. But for a different reason. I am just about to pull the trigger on the old Master Card to buy NL and she who must be obeyed has her frying pan in her hand chasing me to "higher" grounds.:rolleyes: 

4 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Wow great shots Martyn. I am looking for higher grounds too. But for a different reason. I am just about to pull the trigger on the old Master Card to buy NL and she who must be obeyed has her frying pan in her hand chasing me to "higher" grounds.:rolleyes: 

Promise her jewelry Karl, works most of the time! :) 

8 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Promise her jewelry Karl, works most of the time! :) 

Jack and Martyn and All. I pull the trigger right now and give her the phone# of J.V. and team so she can yell at him for making such a great addiction er I meant  addition to our sim world.  :D

10 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Jack and Martyn and All. I pull the trigger right now and give her the phone# of J.V. and team so she can yell at him for making such a great addiction er I meant  addition to our sim world.  :D

If you could somehow get her to enjoy your little slice of Orbx land she might share your enthusiasm, but barring that, do like I do, tell her it keeps you off the streets. :) 

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

If you could somehow get her to enjoy your little slice of Orbx land she might share your enthusiasm, but barring that, do like I do, tell her it keeps you off the streets. :) 

Another in my continuing series of mostly unused ideas.  Orbx could sweeten the pot, so to speak, by offering little delights for recalcitrant spouses.  Similar to the 'old farts' discount, this would require some proof of problem. 

10 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Another in my continuing series of mostly unused ideas.  Orbx could sweeten the pot, so to speak, by offering little delights for recalcitrant spouses.  Similar to the 'old farts' discount, this would require some proof of problem. 

:lol:  Brilliant idea OND!  How about an “I’m married to an Orbx enthusiast” t-shirt.

1 hour ago, flyingleaf said:

You will have to take up cooking too Karl, there are some loverly cast iron frying pans on the market and you could therefore out gun her.;)

1 hour ago, flyingleaf said:

Better not in case he decides it is too dangerous for us to bring out anymore new releases to try and alleviate our addiction.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That is no good for me Jack as that is one place my ball and chain wants me to go.

The other place is far too hot!:lol:

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

I get it, like the plastic toy we used to get in serial packets years ago.

Some cheap and tacky necklace or ring will suffice.:D

Archived