YRC Refuge Cove Seaplane Base

I made it to CAC8 Nanaimo and then across the Strait of Georgia to CAG8 Pender Harbour. Now on to Desolation Sound and YRC Refuge Cove Seaplane Base. Why go there? It’s what many think of as the most spectacular area for boating in the Pacific Northwest.  The scenery is equally impressive from the air. For a good portion of my life I spent my vacations there on the family boat. I did not have that much time off so I would fly up and back on Kenmore Air. Most all the scenery I have done lately is an attempt to recreate that wonderful experience and Desolation Sound was what it was all about.

A little from the User Guide:

Refuge Cove is the main source of supply in Desolation Sound, located near the northwest end of the Strait of Georgia in British Columbia. It serves as a convenient pick up and drop off location for those coming to or leaving from boats via seaplane in what many regard as the ultimate destination for cruising in the Pacific Northwest.  Refuge Cove remains the quintessential ‘Up Coast’ marina; the type that has mostly disappeared from the PNW and it oozes character.  There are a number of boaters who spend one to two months in this area year after year and some have been doing it for 30 years or more. Refuge Cove is run as a co-op by the members of the small community of permanent residents. There is no lodging available. In general, people fly there to join boats cruising in the area.

Here is a link to a .kmz Google Earth overlay file to help you get oriented. If you give permission, this link should open Google Earth and place a map over the scenery area. Google Earth map overlay of Desolation Sound  (Lower the opacity of the map to suit your needs.)

In addition to Refuge Cove, a number of other locations are modeled including those that serve as pick up and drop off locations for Kenmore Air (Bliss Landing, Mink Island, Prideaux Haven) as well as Squirrel Cove and remote Forbes Bay at the foot of Mt. Denman.  There are some Easter eggs too. Cortez Bay, another Kenmore Air stop will be included in a service pack.

YRC is now being tested and will be released (you have heard this before) when it’s ready.

I should mention that Orbx YRC Refuge Cove Seaplane Base will replace a quite old and not that good version of Refuge Cove that had been posted on my blog. It’s been removed, and if you happen to have it you must remove it too because it’s not compatible.  

Of course what you really want to see are the screenshots so here they are; some of Refuge Cove, Squirrel Cove, Mink Island and two from Forbes Bay in that order.

Incidentally, the lines off the sterns of a few boats at Mink Island as shown in the screenshots are not mistakes. At many locations in Desolation Sound boats are typically ‘sprung to shore’ to prevent the anchor from pulling loose and not having time to reset if the wind changes direction.

4tEOJtVgKZHEGbw5a70df2626507.jpg

8QJhBVlCiMTp3Vy5a70df2a84798.jpg

Bsv4l8T8jA5epDB5a70df2cd4284.jpg

ypzEFM5EA2J0fj45a70df33e5c8d.jpg

1lsw8IP4ewhY0gH5a70df379fb87.jpg

k1p5jLjyq34RAHV5a70df3935680.jpg

aA4LQGQDzVfW3UY5a70df48160f4.jpg

clyjm5x4vEhR0AR5a70df461024f.jpg

Mh2ebuMVlBWStfX5a70df3d12756.jpg

EaGyAMxlpFBWIdN5a70df4663e79.jpg

ID5YkTUh96i5Hqr5a70df5a26b74.jpg

G2js2dtNh3z1ZI15a70df50cde3a.jpg

9vIQEFm3J8v0qkV5a70df57a0739.jpg

wmZyAP25c5mdJWM5a70df5b91742.jpg

Wt0iP1CMuwG0PQo5a70df6555ad5.jpg

YDJVoSHpFSOHnUn5a70df680420f.jpg

5efMTb16Lk58mw75a70df699bc7c.jpg

e0ZiSg9nsJLhAOP5a70df74f1f11.jpg

pdRhBp7Hz0QEuwq5a70df76d158e.jpg

DJsv2Jkqq7BQrJW5a70df71191a6.jpg

JlkehVDZm4BysB95a70df800d15f.jpg

wHQ7HyUjYV0aL4x5a70df878b1b7.jpg

F5ea7w5bYvJZWUN5a70df8b637d8.jpg

X05G9Jyk8cso9V65a70df8af1303.jpg

52Zo5oYJcEupA9F5a70df9013ab9.jpg

ecC3AXf1etfxRtv5a70df968d74d.jpg

e445o4FowSTYv1f5a70df953162c.jpg

xhelRO1j4Zc6v3n5a70df9db66f4.jpg

cC2ZkGL4DRw1rCk5a70dfa1eb0d9.jpg

pUhDTKVmIxtukgw5a70dfa322d89.jpg

PK1zz76FptuJeZG5a70dfb11d950.jpg

FoyDx591BDNQhVB5a70dfb12d0e8.jpg

nF3XvhtUoR5gLx35a70dfb36369c.jpg

JLIMuG8ZoXyfzuh5a70dfc7497be.jpg

ve3M8d8dvU75OVY5a70dfbdcc119.jpg

GdAQZlEfWMUoLV55a70dfbc7b37c.jpg

PZWGrjKzgej48yb5a70dfc6d1e17.jpg

uunag0u0qwBZxTq5a70dfd31bf81.jpg

JOsFdIqRomsciLB5a70dfd489ed5.jpg

kfvAzIYOq4dEI0k5a70dfceba9ac.jpg

AgzJ6ycaCCBwH0h5a70dfd83693c.jpg

gtqqrRiw3YeBnFB5a70dfdd0e25d.jpg

DwB7AXXG5oi9J5p5a70dfe37df76.jpg

HtAJ6lkgfrrh7C15a70dfe6f38a6.jpg

VUtyWBuK78XYz1L5a70dfea2c309.jpg

NEwTGSfKCrzz8lA5a70dff455a95.jpg

tQMYQ2FUVUZtiPD5a70dffeb81f7.jpg

CUztNn69EFqdZDh5a70dffbb2168.jpg

What gorgeous spot. I've just checked out the website for the place.  It would be very easy to while away a week there and unwind.  Thanks for producing a little touch of paradise (or at least my idea of what it might be like...).  And now I'm having to eye up V4 float planes...  :ph34r:

Thanks for the kind words folks,

Scott, here’s a link to a nice little getaway that you could use as a summer cabin. Of course you will need your own DHC2 to get there in style. A minor expense. :lol:

http://www.bclandpro.com/RecentSales.php/Details/122/refuge-cove-in-the-heart-of-desolation-sound-marine-park-bc

I forgot to mention that like CAG8 Pender Harbor SPB,  YRC will have a pilotable boat as an extra. It’s a little tug that is used for log boom work. Instead of the 2D cockpit as in the pilotable Angelfish, this one has a virtual cockpit with basic engine gauges, a functioning GPS, spot lights, and a horn.  Here are a couple of shots:

nGysHVlFcPHHbeM5a725523e89c7.jpg

mFjwWPmb9t5V1jF5a72552393c61.jpg

Unbelievable detail, blows me away!  Is there a link to the sceneries, or is it just a matter of scrolling through the forum to find them?

BTW, I live in Maple Ridge, and my wife and I own property just north of Powell River in Lund.  I know that the harbor in Lund and Savary Island are next on your list, right? ;)

8 hours ago, Fufeli67 said:

BTW, I live in Maple Ridge, and my wife and I own property just north of Powell River in Lund.  I know that the harbor in Lund and Savary Island are next on your list, right?

Thanks so much for deciding to post.  The YRC scenery is not yet released; this is just the preview announcement thread.  When it is released you will see it announced here:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/217-orbxdirect-release-announcements/

Property in Lund.... wow! I was thinking of flying from Seattle to Bliss Landing last summer if I could get a taxi from there to Lund, stay in the renovated hotel, but the Lund taxi service said no-go -- the road to Bliss Landing was too rough. At some point I do plan to do Lund and I guess Savary Island too, but I'm not sure if it will be part of a YRC service pack or part of my PNW ferry system. If it's going to be even a small part of an Orbx product it has to be pretty good, which means good photos. If you might be willing to take some, send me a PM!

Larry

On ‎30‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 4:50 PM, Matt McGee said:

Looks GREAT Larry!

Wish I owned a real float plane, so I could explore it in real life.

Hello Matt I agree with you - that must be wonderful - I flew with Kenmore (Super Otter) in the cockpit in Puget Sound for a whole day...

Ted

https://www.kenmoreair.com/destinations/san-juan-islands/

16 hours ago, Larry_R said:

Thanks so much for deciding to post.  The YRC scenery is not yet released; this is just the preview announcement thread.  When it is released you will see it announced here:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/217-orbxdirect-release-announcements/

Property in Lund.... wow! I was thinking of flying from Seattle to Bliss Landing last summer if I could get a taxi from there to Lund, stay in the renovated hotel, but the Lund taxi service said no-go -- the road to Bliss Landing was too rough. At some point I do plan to do Lund and I guess Savary Island too, but I'm not sure if it will be part of a YRC service pack or part of my PNW ferry system. If it's going to be even a small part of an Orbx product it has to be pretty good, which means good photos. If you might be willing to take some, send me a PM!

Larry

Hi Larry,

We plan on going to Lund in late Spring, and I will try to take lots of pictures of the waterfront and surrounding area for you.  Not sure if we'll make it to Savary Island this time.

If you're ever heading up there, you're welcome to stay on our property.  There's a 1950s transit bus converted into a makeshift cabin, and a water well.  No power though.  IT's about a two minute drive to the marina.

I just downloaded your PNW ferries file but haven't had the chance to install yet.  Judging from the pics your sceneries are beyond first class, absolutely amazing, and much appreciated!!

Cheres,

Raphael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Perhaps I can add a brief note about the requirements for YRC for users who may not be familiar with them.  These requirements apply to the other seaplane bases too.

1. FTX PNW is strictly required. https://orbxdirect.com/product/pnw  Without it the scenery will be non-functional.  Why? Because custom modifications of the PNW hydro files are required to adjust shorelines to fit the models and PR  and those modifications work in conjunction with PNW.

2. Orbx ObjectFlow or ObjectFlow2 depending on the sim is required. Without it a large part of the scenery will be missing.   

Hi Larry,

If YRC is to be the "identifier" that you use for Refuge Cove in your scenery, just be advised that there already is a CYRC airport in Canada (Chicoutimi/St-Honore, Qc). I mention it in case it would cause conflict for the users.

Your scenery looks very good BTW.

Best regards,

Hello Normand

Yes I am aware that CYR is also used by the airport you mention. However YRC is also used for Refuge Cove and unless I missed something, YRC is not a default airport in the sim. I considered using a fake IACO code like YRC1 but fake is fake and there is a precedent for Orbx using 3 character codes. (Refuge Cove has no IACO code. ) So rather than create an Orbx product with a fake code, in itself possibly confusing or worse, I chose to use YRC.  This after considering all the options I could think of over a period of many months. If this was the wrong choice, I apologize to all. I would also say that I have mentioned the choice, for better or worse, in the Use Guide. 

If there is a conflict with another addon, it would be very easy to change the identifier within the sim on a case by case basis.

Hi Larry,

I understand the logic behind your choice. If the simulator has no problem seeing YRC and CYRC as two different airports in the same country, then there is no problem. I only mentioned it because I did not know if the simulator could differentiate the two idents. Keep up the good work !

My goodness.

Larry I have been to art museums that displayed works that cannot compare to your level of mastery.

Ok just kidding, I don't go to that many art museums, but I wanted to make a really nice compliment.  Your stuff is so life-like, man.  Huge respect.

3 hours ago, Airbear said:

how can I d/l this beatiful scenery? I have PNW but it does not appear within FTX3 ( P3Dv4, v3.2.5.5).

Hello

Did you 'purchase' YRC on Orbx Direct? It will cost you 0.00 dollars.  The link is on the release announcement page or go to Orbx Direct and look under Freeware.  Freeware is managed by OrbxDirect in the same way as your payware products.

If that's not the issue please request support in the FTXC3 support forum here  https://orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/218-orbxdirect-and-ftx-central-3-support-forum/

Hopefully NIck can then sort out the apparent issue you are having with FTXC3.

Thanks so much Bernd,

Actually, the old family boat is in the scenery, however  it’s not the 95 foot yacht that’s for sure. But if you happen to have a spare 1.5 million USD handy, you could buy one just like it. Of course you will then need the paid crew and your own DHC2 Beaver – with paid pilot -- to get you to and from your mansion.  :lol:

For those brave enough to read to the very end of the User Guide, there is a little more about the family boat.

Archived