Queenstown test

Jack Sawyer

I love the New Zealand livery on my new A320.  So I decided to just take off and turn around and land.  No automation or programming the FMGC whatsoever, all hand flying. 

Beautiful area!

bOscOsi.jpg

bBVz6S9.jpg

GHHOQi1.jpg

8kGMlGe.jpg

4B53y8Y.jpg

N7c0d08.jpg

y4NBusD.jpg

TisXmTD.jpg

yTwRZYK.jpg

R1bH1IY.jpg

sP2mZn4.jpg

SkfynZN.jpg

VFVNIEN.jpg

nK02Coy.jpg

PEPJExt.jpg

PkQ77TH.jpg

VbXxtjI.jpg

WD59WRW.jpg

lynWFAc.jpg

8mtb2tZ.jpg

mLEubfo.jpg

iQlZHZ3.jpg

sFaonoa.jpg

NMFXLlb.jpg

d5I6tvl.jpg

Cwxlv1N.jpg

1 minute ago, Sniper31 said:

Absolutely superb shots Jack. These really sparkle :) 

Thanks Landon, it's a beautiful area, I could only imagine living there.  And I think the NZ livery is now my second most favorite in the world, after BA.

Been looking for A2A and PMDG NZ liveries but can't find any.  I think I might want to spend a lot of quality time in New Zealand.

17 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Landon, it's a beautiful area, I could only imagine living there.  And I think the NZ livery is now my second most favorite in the world, after BA.

Been looking for A2A and PMDG NZ liveries but can't find any.  I think I might want to spend a lot of quality time in New Zealand.

Yes Jack, NZ is a very nice scenery region. I have been flying there ever since it was released. Orbx really did a bang up job with that package, and I am one of those who wished they would release more airport scenery for NZNI and NZSI.

Super collection of images Jack.

ANZs bold livery is up there with my favourites too.

Some of their safety videos are well worth a look too, great sense of humour the Kiwis.

NZ is a fantastic place to fly and I enjoy getting over there every now and again, I shall keep my eyes open for you.:)

54 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Yes Jack, NZ is a very nice scenery region. I have been flying there ever since it was released. Orbx really did a bang up job with that package, and I am one of those who wished they would release more airport scenery for NZNI and NZSI.

I agree Landon, maybe this year we'll see some more Orbx airports here.  But I'm so unfamiliar with New Zealand I have no idea which ones they might be.  I'd personally like something that could handle the A320.

35 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Super collection of images Jack.

ANZs bold livery is up there with my favourites too.

Some of their safety videos are well worth a look too, great sense of humour the Kiwis.

NZ is a fantastic place to fly and I enjoy getting over there every now and again, I shall keep my eyes open for you.:)

Thanks Martyn.  I think it's one of Orbx's finest, Adam's shots always attest to that my friend.  Cheers.

Fantastic shots Jack! Some of them are real beauties! :) Superb scenery in New Zealand.

Your new A320 looks great. Is that the study level one that we talked about before? What do you think of it compared to the 717?

12 hours ago, adambar said:

Very nicely done Jack as always! :)

Thanks Adam!  Appreciate it.

12 hours ago, lifejogger said:

You didn't go very far  but you got a lot of super shots!!!!!!!

Thanks John, no, it was just a test to see if I could hand fly it.

12 hours ago, jankees said:

Excellent shots!

Thanks Jan!

12 hours ago, boetie said:

Great scenery Jack - brought to life by your little tube liner circuit :)

Cheers Graeme

Thanks boetie! 

12 hours ago, kjrman said:

Very nice set, the livery is classy.

Thanks kjrman!

11 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Beautiful scenery indeed Jack. Great shots and I too like that livery.

Thank you Karl!  I do too, it's now my second favorite livery.

9 hours ago, paulb said:

Fantastic shots Jack! Some of them are real beauties! :) Superb scenery in New Zealand.

Your new A320 looks great. Is that the study level one that we talked about before? What do you think of it compared to the 717?

Thanks Paul!  I agree, NZ is amazing.  And yes, it's from FSLabs, quite the study level plane, but I love the complexity of it.  The 717 I think is still a work in progress but the A320 is a step up, on par with PMDG. But don't get me wrong, that 717 is very detailed and study level too.

7 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Great looking shots, and well flown too. The landing looks perfect (on a difficult vertical approach!), and all this in manual. Chapeau!

Thanks Gerold, it's a nifty little jet, very nimble and easy to fly by hand.  I really like what Airbus has wrought in the A320

Nice shots Jack. I’m currently on holiday in Wanaka which is just over the hill from Qtown. It’s hot here today, unlike some parts of USA. In my previous life I did a lot of gliding from Jardines airstrip and flew around the Remarkables (the mountains next to Qtown airport).  Great place for gliding especially when there was a westerly blowing as the whole front of the mountain range became lift.  I think Qtown’s elevation is about 1150’ and the top of the Remarkables is about 7500’

Qtown scenery is very accurate. The valley just before final turn onto R23 is mostly wineries. They say the most southerly wineries in the world. The area where the airport is situated is called Frankton. The only discrepancies in the scenery is there are a lot more houses at Frankton and Qtown.  

A challenge for you - find Jardines airstrip. ORBX have modelled it very nicely. Clue: it’s about 2 to 3ks south of the main airport. It’s a grass strip with a shed and there should be 1 or 2 aircraft parked there. You should approach it from over the lake. 

Bruce R

14 minutes ago, Bruce R said:

Nice shots Jack. I’m currently on holiday in Wanaka which is just over the hill from Qtown. It’s hot here today, unlike some parts of USA. In my previous life I did a lot of gliding from Jardines airstrip and flew around the Remarkables (the mountains next to Qtown airport).  Great place for gliding especially when there was a westerly blowing as the whole front of the mountain range became lift.  I think Qtown’s elevation is about 1150’ and the top of the Remarkables is about 7500’

Qtown scenery is very accurate. The valley just before final turn onto R23 is mostly wineries. They say the most southerly wineries in the world. The area where the airport is situated is called Frankton. The only discrepancies in the scenery is there are a lot more houses at Frankton and Qtown.  

A challenge for you - find Jardines airstrip. ORBX have modelled it very nicely. Clue: it’s about 2 to 3ks south of the main airport. It’s a grass strip with a shed and there shout be 1 or 2 aircraft parked there. You should approach it from over the lake. 

Bruce R

Thanks Bruce!  What a wonderful thing, to be able to fly a glider in New Zealand, I can't say I don't envy you Bruce!  I think I'm gonna look for a bottle of NZ wine, I wonder, do they make a nice Merlot?  I will accept your challenge, Orbx is full of little surprises like this and thanks for the tip.

4 minutes ago, Sammy H said:

Jack, guessing you went ahead and spent the money for the FSLabs A320?  Lovely shot as well, I just used this bird to fly to Queenstown from Sydney last weekend.

Sammy, I was just thinking of you because I spent several hours working on part 1 of your comic.  It's a lot of work as I still don't know what I want to say, dialogue is always the most difficult but when the muse strikes it all gels.

Yeah, I couldn't resist, the wife gave me a kitchen pass so I sprung for the most expensive aircraft in the sim world, or that's what I'm told.  And it's worth every penny.  I promised myself I wasn't goin to buy it till I had all of Orbx's stuff, so now I do and voila.  Glad you liked the shots, more to come as Jan Kees was very kind to PM me with his links of NZ liveries for a bunch of planes I have.

Will post the NZ Staggering later tonight if I get a chance.

Jack - NZ is it not so well known for its Merlot but we have world class Pinot Nior and Sauvignon Blanc. Qtown wineries and surrounding areas come under the banner of “Central Otago” wines.  If you find any Central Otago wines, go for it. 

Bruce R

22 minutes ago, Bruce R said:

Jack - NZ is so well known for its Merlot but we have world class Pinot Nior and Sauvignon Blanc. Qtown wineries and surrounding areas come under the banner of “Central Otago” wines.  If you find any Central Otago wines, go for it. 

Bruce R

Thanks Bruce, I can't wait to have a look.  I might test the others but Merlot is my favorite.  Central Otago, got it.  :)

Lovely shots Jack

Like Bruce I have spent many holidays in central Otago and absolutely love the place.  Everywhere you look there is a mountain or a lake.

I can also recommend the area for Pinot Nior.  Their is a lovely small vineyard called Gibson valley Wines, (its a little North) of your flight and they do a world class Pinot.

Best wishes

Bob

1 hour ago, Neptune6 said:

Queenstone i love this aréa NZ it's very lovely part of ORBX  :wub:

good managing NGX plane JACK

Thanks Patrick!  Thank you kind sir.

44 minutes ago, magic1 said:

Very nice Jack

Thanks Magic!

3 minutes ago, rlaycock said:

Lovely shots Jack

Like Bruce I have spent many holidays in central Otago and absolutely love the place.  Everywhere you look there is a mountain or a lake.

I can also recommend the area for Pinot Nior.  Their is a lovely small vineyard called Gibson valley Wines, (its a little North) of your flight and they do a world class Pinot.

Best wishes

Bob

Thanks Bob, and I might add, you are some lucky fellows!  I can dream of living there I guess, it would be heaven to me.

Just now, Bruce R said:

I’ve got another challenge for you Jack. Come out to NZ and I’ll take you around Central Otago. 

Bruce R

Oh, would that I could, I'd go now Bruce but unfortunately I can't at present.  Mayhap someday.  I have to say, some of the guys on this forum live in some of the most exquisitely beautiful parts of the world.  From Venice to New Zealand, to Wales to Germany, to Australia, and all around.  I live in Dullsville, USA zip code, 00000  :blink:

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Oh, would that I could, I'd go now Bruce but unfortunately I can't at present.  Mayhap someday.  I have to say, some of the guys on this forum live in some of the most exquisitely beautiful parts of the world.  From Venice to New Zealand, to Wales to Germany, to Australia, and all around.  I live in Dullsville, USA zip code, 00000  :blink:

Jack my friend...how can you think that above, but say this: 

"John you should hike!  I hike 8 miles a day or every other day.  I've lost 75 pounds, walked 9800+ miles and it's the number one thing in life.  I love the beautiful forest right where I live.  I don't even have to drive, I walk there.  700 acres, lots of deer, hawk, and all kinds of other animals from bobcats to coyotes, to squirrels and chipmunks to tiny frogs.  Beaver dams, it's wonderful and great exercise, and good for your mind and body with the endorphin release.  I walk in all kinds of weather, pouring rain, heat, night, and my favorite, snow."-Jack Sawyer

I would submit that although there are a multitude of wonderfully scenic and beautiful locations throughout the world that our sim friends live in, there is no reason to think where you live is Dullsville as you say. Obviously, as stated above, you have found the natural beauty right near where you live. So, I say, don't sell yourself so short. Travel when you can and enjoy what you find, but embrace where you are because there is wonder and beauty right under our noses and we sometimes forget that. :):)

8 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Jack my friend...how can you think that above, but say this: 

"John you should hike!  I hike 8 miles a day or every other day.  I've lost 75 pounds, walked 9800+ miles and it's the number one thing in life.  I love the beautiful forest right where I live.  I don't even have to drive, I walk there.  700 acres, lots of deer, hawk, and all kinds of other animals from bobcats to coyotes, to squirrels and chipmunks to tiny frogs.  Beaver dams, it's wonderful and great exercise, and good for your mind and body with the endorphin release.  I walk in all kinds of weather, pouring rain, heat, night, and my favorite, snow."-Jack Sawyer

I would submit that although there are a multitude of wonderfully scenic and beautiful locations throughout the world that our sim friends live in, there is no reason to think where you live is Dullsville as you say. Obviously, as stated above, you have found the natural beauty right near where you live. So, I say, don't sell yourself so short. Travel when you can and enjoy what you find, but embrace where you are because there is wonder and beauty right under our noses and we sometimes forget that. :):)

Well, I stand partially corrected Landon, I live near a major city, Atlanta, population 6 million or so.  Yet it's far enough away to be very rural.  Its only redeeming value to me is the park.  I have often thought if it wasn't for my walks in this beautiful park I'd try to move back to Boise because it's just too darned hot for me.  I get dehydrated very easily in the summer heat and high humidity.  I can take a gallon of water with me and still get dehydrated.  And last summer I bought some of those special shirts and things that go around your neck where you wet them and they keep you cool.  They work.

But, other than the park, it really is dull.  We have only a few good restaurants, no entertainment of any kind, and constant 24/7 jet noise from KATL.  I live very close to it, 12 air miles away or less.

We have horses and cows to look at.  No museums, no culture, just well, nothing, just rural life.  

I would travel but can't right now for medical reasons.  No idea when I'll be able to.  There's no way they'd let me take a flight physical so I can't fly.  We have fast roads to drive on, Atlanta has a lot of stuff but a LOT of crime.  It's okay, I've been to may places in Europe and love the old places, I mean the rest of the world people live in houses older than the USA.

I'll count my blessings and hope for the best in the future.  Thanks Landon.

Archived