Aound the world in an An-2 - could take a while!

Adam Banks

Following Tiger's lead, I grabbed the logo-laden SP-OLA and took off on my own version of the epic journey. I'll make sure I stay at least one leg behind Tiger so I can see how he does it :lol:.

I won't fill up the forum with dozens of pics from every country I pass through, so here's just the one for the moment - Bulgaria, I think it was (!!).

rtw_01_02_640_1350.jpg

I'm really using the trip to discover the FTX GLOBAL world - way out of my regular NZ comfort zone! So - it's a bit of an adventure - and it's already amazing to see how the landscape varies, yet appears to be totally convincing (having never done a RTW trip in an Antonov, I wouldn't know :lol:)!

I'm doing it in real time, as I pretend to work on my other PC - just checking every now and again to see if I've hit the odd mountain. This could take a while!!!

Adam.

43 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

Following Tiger's lead, I grabbed the logo-laden SP-OLA and took off on my own version of the epic journey. I'll make sure I stay at least one leg behind Tiger so I can see how he does it :lol:.

I won't fill up the forum with dozens of pics from every country I pass through, so here's just the one for the moment - Bulgaria, I think it was (!!).

rtw_01_02_640_1350.jpg

I'm really using the trip to discover the FTX GLOBAL world - way out of my regular NZ comfort zone! So - it's a bit of an adventure - and it's already amazing to see how the landscape varies, yet appears to be totally convincing (having never done a RTW trip in an Antonov, I wouldn't know :lol:)!

I'm doing it in real time, as I pretend to work on my other PC - just checking every now and again to see if I've hit the odd mountain. This could take a while!!!

Adam.

Great

I can hitch a ride if I break down.:)

TTM

Now that is what you call a challenging trip.  By simple calculations the circumference of the world in around 40 000 km.  average cursing speed of the An-2 say 150 kph.

So 40 000/150 = 267 hours.

Having gone to many air shows with Adam, who always get us lost driving back from Ardmore, this could be interesting

Good luck guys

Bob

4 hours ago, rlaycock said:

Now that is what you call a challenging trip.  By simple calculations the circumference of the world in around 40 000 km.  average cursing speed of the An-2 say 150 kph.

So 40 000/150 = 267 hours.

Having gone to many air shows with Adam, who always get us lost driving back from Ardmore, this could be interesting

Drat! My secret is out! Even with in-car GPS, I still get lost! What hope do I have?

The actual trip in RL was broken down into around 30 stages. Not sure if more than one were done in any given day - so it's at least a month of solid flying.

Even with GPS, the An-2 would have had to have been hand-flown all the way (no cheat auto-pilot in Real Life) - no wonder the pilots/co-pilot roster changed a little during the trip!

Adam.

5 hours ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Super shot, hope you guys packed enough sandwiches :)

I read Lindbergh's autobiography. He packed a few sandwiches before setting off on his epic flight - and completely forgot to eat them! That - and missing a complete nights' sleep the night before. Amazing.

Adam.

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

I read Lindbergh's autobiography. He packed a few sandwiches before setting off on his epic flight - and completely forgot to eat them! That - and missing a complete nights' sleep the night before. Amazing.

Adam.

I don't think he had enough hands to spare to reach for and hold a sandwich. He was a very busy boy all the way. I've still got the FS9 version of the Spirit of St Louis and fly it occasionally. I have not been able to master a square circuit and line up properly on a runway for final approach and a reasonably tidy landing. Trying to hold a steady heading and altitude in turbulence for that length of time would tax the most experienced pilot.

Les

Archived