Amongst the Clouds: Telluride Preview Part 2!

18391a36c3ce2b070ab2139e10a21bf6.jpg

G'day All,

Thankyou for the enthusiastic feedback to our first Telluride previews; development is tracking well and is entering the later stages of beta testing as I speak. After primarily focusing on the airport in the first set of screenshots, I thought I would take the opportunity to showcase some of the additional areas of interest within the large coverage area. Perhaps the non-airport location that received the most attention during development was Mountain Village - the resort and ski areas nestled in the mountains above Telluride. Situated adjacent Telluride Airport, the hotels and chalets of the Village are often visible from the airport apron and runway; the residents and guests (including a few well-known Hollywood celebrities) are responsible for the rather draconian noise abatement procedures, particularly if you are attempting a rare landing from the east on Rwy27. 

In addition to the resorts and chalets, keep an eye out other trappings of luxury such as tennis courts, mountain-top restaurants, luxury cars and even the odd golfer during the summer months. Perhaps most visible of all, is the Telluride Gondola - a prime mode of transparent for locals and immediately known to anyone who may have visited the area in real life. The Gondola is a Ski Lift which passes through four stations between Telluride and the far side of the Village; subsidised by local ratepayers, it is free for all to use. I have included a fully animated rendition of the Gondola, as well as all four stations along the 4km route. 

Lastly, a very important public service announcement: 

If you are considering purchasing a copy of KTEX when it is released, it is vital that you update your ORBXlibs to the latest version. Unlike other ORBXlibrary components, the autogen updates require an extra step during installation to activate, as per these instructions:

1. Download and install the latest version of the ORBX Libraries from here.

2. Once installed, open FTX Central V2, select either the FTX Global or North America group, and press "Apply Group". 
                3. VERY IMPORTANT: You must apply or re-apply a region after installing the ORBXlibs, even if your desired region is                                         already active. Applying the region actively forces the introduction of the new autogen files, failure to do this mean you will have an                     underwhelmingly sparse rendition of the terrain around Telluride. 

As always, click on the pictures to see them at full size, and keep an eye out for more previews over the coming days!

Enjoy!

Jarrad

4a0f441029136d75ed8aab677e11bd43.jpg

f55f9cd68a93aaafb552ac71facc6171.jpg

f89ed271df9e021a393389f249f8bab9.jpg

d6ad080286f3ef85c280fcc8231d3083.jpg

1bdb2ad7e159cf5f09211caeb5e4d8ab.jpg

68ae18c9aa7126162e2c3a69af4ac682.jpg

375ad050d61525f0904ae0ef619b0e8f.jpg

58ee04334bd5ead0ed34e4e143415e73.jpg

7c096356ed800f06024987cc78c0f725.jpg

aae55dbc7123e368ace62fe4ee787a71.jpg

68e7ed07aee9a31c7b0d9fbbd25fa9b1.jpg

ab2e557e95a9537c912b9aaec7576f36.jpg

d3593e95f1811bc1bfc2ac086ee88d32.jpg

c8d366ef21516727b883ce5b2d84bed4.jpg

52acbb5bde66ba8e74de86c87f7cd54c.jpg

6d94b4e73f10a8900752bfb49b58b39d.jpg

af46962cbca77be4fe908ca87c5b093b.jpg

67f3ac897e3d2b3d8779233e65472d91.jpg

460daffe0e28bd067ce8b37c3101f8ff.jpg

OMG! This is amazing! And it serves as a reminder to why the Colorado Rockies need a full-fat Orbx region. The landscape is too beautiful, and the airports too interesting, to not Orbify fully. :)

Telluride will be an instant buy for me! :)

That last screenshot is amazing. If you would have told me 15 years ago that FS would some day reach such realism I would have thought you insane. Simply stunning. 

As all of your airports, this will be an instant buy. Thank you for concentrating on interesting, fun, and challenging airports. there is nothing I hate more than big hub airports in boring flat places. 

Have you ever considered heading to China? 7 of the highest top 12 airports are in China. They have built some amazing airports with stunning approaches. Although access to data is probably a big stumbling block, I would absolutely love a JM interpretation of Kangding or Qamdo. 

Anyways, congratulations Jarrad, TEX looks simply stunning. 

I dont' like the extra precaution required on installation (re-apply north american region) because we tend to forget these extra steps after a reinstallation but

damm, what a fantastic scenery ! Incredible ! These crispy views, oh là là !

Dom Mason

2 hours ago, Dom Mason said:

I dont' like the extra precaution required on installation (re-apply north american region) because we tend to forget these extra steps after a reinstallation but

damm, what a fantastic scenery ! Incredible ! These crispy views, oh là là !

Dom Mason

I was in high hopes we would have got rid of that ugly switching the time Telluride will be in our hands, but that seems to take a couple of days more.

However, Jarrads scenery is a real eye-catcher (as all of his creations are).

Kind regards, Michael

18 hours ago, Medtner said:

OMG! This is amazing! And it serves as a reminder to why the Colorado Rockies need a full-fat Orbx region. The landscape is too beautiful, and the airports too interesting, to not Orbify fully. :)

An extraordinary piece of work! And yes, a full-fat Orbx region would surround this perfectly!

Cheers, Fritz

Jarrad, can you please tell us the settings used for those screenshots, in particular the LOD setting?  After being underwhelmed with Sedona, I want to make sure that I don't need to tweak my LOD to levels I don't normally use, in order to see Telluride as it is shown now.

It looks absolutely amazing in these shots btw!

22 hours ago, Dom Mason said:

Oh my ! I thought that the video was actually taken in FSX Telluride ;)

Dom

14 hours ago, Ben77 said:

I too thought Bermuda's video was a preview of Jarrad's new scenery, when you genuinely get tricked like that it brings a smile to your face :D

Must admit that after posting this, the thumbnail looked like the simulator and I double checked if it was the right video ;)

Thanks very much guys :)

On 01/04/2016 at 10:04 AM, M-Sauce said:

That last screenshot is amazing. If you would have told me 15 years ago that FS would some day reach such realism I would have thought you insane. Simply stunning. 

As all of your airports, this will be an instant buy. Thank you for concentrating on interesting, fun, and challenging airports. there is nothing I hate more than big hub airports in boring flat places. 

Have you ever considered heading to China? 7 of the highest top 12 airports are in China. They have built some amazing airports with stunning approaches. Although access to data is probably a big stumbling block, I would absolutely love a JM interpretation of Kangding or Qamdo. 

Anyways, congratulations Jarrad, TEX looks simply stunning. 

Very interesting suggestions - I love seeing photos of these airports pop up every now and then on airliners.net, certainly some unusual locations with those high-altitude fields. Unfortunately, imagery and proper access to these types of airports are either non-existent or difficult to acquire, but you never know!

On 01/04/2016 at 6:27 PM, wulfbindewald said:

Very well done and impressing.

Will runway and taxiway edge lights be designed and included as they are (still) not visible in the pics? ...see Google maps.

Wulf

Absolutely Wulf, here are a couple of out-take shots I took that didn't make it beyond the cutting room floor:

2f58ca3eab58883640402d7bf40b6d29.jpg
f972103d8b3c1134a414aa685c365906.jpg

On 01/04/2016 at 0:28 AM, Bruce Hamilton said:

Like you can really tell from those screens that it's NOT a full fat region... only way you could tell is when you leave the airport coverage area, and the upcoming OLCNA should fix that.

That's right Bruce - depending on what direction you fly, the edge of the photoreal coverage area is between 12-37km from the airport runway. In addition, I have softened the transition to the "default" world by updating the surrounding landclass, DEM, customised seasons and some vector components for an extended radius beyond the PR coverage - similar to what I did at Eagle-Vail and Sedona. One of my aesthetic goals with this project was to ensure that you could not see any landclass terrain (ie only photoreal) from any angle/location on the ground at the airport.

On 01/04/2016 at 1:25 AM, Chunk said:

Jarrad, can you please tell us the settings used for those screenshots, in particular the LOD setting?  

Absolutely Chunk - my shots are a mixture of FSX-A and P3Dv3.2. For the P3D shots, I used no tweaks at all, default sky textures and mid-range HDR settings (using the default sliders); the terrain LOD was set to max default (ie LOD=6.5). In FSX-A, I use all default settings (in line with our recommendations in our product user guides) aside from the LOD, which in this instance was set to LOD=7.5. The terrain around TEX is quite different to SEZ and as such is treated quite differently by the FSX/P3D rendering engine, and to be honest, you won't notice much difference around the airport and town/mountain village areas with the default LOD=4.5 on account of the large mountains being quite close to the airport. For reference, I've done a quick comparison of a couple of my shots with FSX-A at LOD=7.5 and LOD=4.5, and P3Dv3.2 at LOD=6.5 - the only difference you will notice is slightly more definition on the far mountain caps at the higher settings. 

KTEX_LOD_Test_1c.jpg
KTEX_LOD_Test_1b.jpg
KTEX_LOD_Test_1a.jpg

KTEX_LOD_Test_2c.jpg
KTEX_LOD_Test_2b.jpg
KTEX_LOD_Test_2a.jpg

(click pictures for original size)

Cheers,

Jarrad

The airport surroundings, their level of detail have drawn me in. Having done countless approaches into KEGE (with all sorts of historic weather active in ASN) and having spent hours of exploring the scenery there; KTEX will be at least as much fun for me.

Thank you very much, Jarrad.

Archived