John Venema

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, macca22au said:

Should I worry about Ben/

Not at all :)

On 09/02/2016 at 4:57 AM, Bruce Hamilton said:

All that work Pero did to incorporate Central into SimStarter flushed down the toilet.  :D

On 09/02/2016 at 6:48 AM, pmb said:

This is certainly true as such. I might go on using SimStarter, though. Otherweise, loading times will be longer than my spare time after work, despite SSDs. I might arrange at least three GA flying regions NA, OC, EU. Another critical point might be Vector which I am switching off over fat regions now (aside from the Sydney double bridge issue I think it eats ressources when active).

But this is speculation for now, of course.

Kind regards, Michael

Is there an email I can contact Pero on?

Disregard, found their account on the forums :)

I love reading these threads as I not only find out what is upcoming in innovations but I also glean knowledge of problems and solutions of current issues that I was not aware of. And I thought that I was an avid follower of this forum! It just proves to me once again how complex and diverse our ORBX hobby has become. That fact reinforces the need for a robust FTX Central that automates, and thus for the user simplifies, the process of integrating and and optimizing our chosen flight sim based on ORBX scenery. As I reread my post I discover that in reality I now view this as a completely integrated flight simulation/ORBX hobby. 

I am in the middle of a high end computer build and about to switch to P3D. As exciting as that is to me, the info in this thread only makes that excitement more intense.

Well done JV and the whole team!

On 2/3/2016 at 9:08 AM, John Venema said:

FTX Central V3 is also in the early development stage, there is a whole lot of new functionality being added to it (can't talk too much about it yet), but essentially it will be the go-to app for all Orbx customers for a myriad of new things we're introducing over the coming years.

This sounds very exciting! Can't wait to see what FTX Central V3 can do. :)

The old fsx engine loads every scenery in your activated library that has photoscenery in it. I have read this before from somewhere online. If true, this would make oom easier to get when using the fsx dvd edition. Since it does not unload scenery not in your flying area like the new engines from Dovetail and P3D.

Hi B77X,

actually, what happens is that for both terrain mesh and photoscenery the lowest-resolution layers might be loaded, usually only a few kB or MB in size, but only if the developer didn't specify a lower cutoff point, usually LOD4. Without getting too technical, LOD4 means that the user aircraft would have to get to within ~500mi of a mesh of photoreal file for it to be considered for loading by the display engine; even then the sim loads the lowest-resolution level first and then sequentially replaces it with higher LODs as the user flies closer.

Some developers may not be aware of this behavior (the SDK isn't very specific) and select an "AUTO-LOD" parameter, which compiles the file all the way down to LOD0, meaning the minimum distance for first loading a file increases by a factor of 16!

All the mesh and photoreal files included with FTX Regions are compiled with a LOD4 cutoff, and, as far as I know, the same is true for those types of files delivered with the FTX airports.

Cheers, Holger

On 2/8/2016 at 6:08 AM, masterhawk said:

Hi, regarding the autogen problem, you should take a look to this tool:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/autogen-configuration-merger.147/

And for our friends in paris, take look to this one:

http://marcoh.gratisim.fr/paris_fr.html

The guy, who did this paris scenery, uses the mentioned tool. He includes in his setup a autogen file, that includes his own, franceVFR and ORBX descriptions. With the tool, we schould be able, to merge the files of ORBX and FranceVFR and future updates to them, by ourself. The most recent version of the tool is on the developer page. It works great!

Masterhawk, many thanks for sharing about the new Autogen Configuration Merger tool. I recently purchased FranceVFR's new Paris scenery and got it to work well with Orbx's openLC Europe (which covers the rest of France beyond the Paris area), with autogen working great in both FranceVFR and Orbx.

Here are the simple steps I took, with the help of details in the tool's manuals:

1. Copied FranceVFR's autogen files (the *.spb files), as-is without any modification, into a new "autogen" directory in a FranceVFR scenery directory (that is listed in scenery.cfg).
  2. Installed the AutogenConfigurationMerger tool in P3Dv3 mode, such that the tool will run whenever Prepar3D is started.
  3. Made sure the FranceVFR scenery libraries are above Orbx in scenery.cfg.
  4. When I select Orbx's Global region (to activate openLC Europe) in FTX Central, this causes Orbx's Global autogen files to be copied to Prepar3D's autogen directory.
  5. After Prepar3D is started, the AutogenConfigurationMerger tool will then automatically merge FranceVFR's autogen files into the existing files in Prepar3D's autogen directory. Such a merger occurs only whenever the tool detects the FranceVFR definitions aren't already in the existing files, which will occur whenever FTX Central is used to change regions. 

In the long run, it would be best for LM/Prepar3D to implement its own autogen merger mechanism, allowing the various scenery developers to deliver their own autogen files that can be installed separately from each other.

10 hours ago, DesertPilot said:

In the long run, it would be best for LM/Prepar3D to implement its own autogen merger mechanism, allowing the various scenery developers to deliver their own autogen files that can be installed separately from each other.

I believe you can already do this in Prepar3D using the autogen.cfg file located in %programdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3.

3 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

I believe you can already do this in Prepar3D using the autogen.cfg file located in %programdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3.

I'm indeed aware of this file. Someone else tried that out and it didn't exactly work out as a merger method, for more details see: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/p3d-v3.435240/

And, there's currently no information in the P3Dv3 SDK documentation regarding that file.  So I wonder if the autogen.cfg file is a placeholder for a future merger system from LM?

4 hours ago, Gent said:

Did OpenLC NA go into beta?

Ter

I think we're waiting for the unified global regions to be completed and rolled out first, before openLC NA goes into beta. I very much look forward to not having to run FTXCentral to switch regions all the time!  :)

I may have missed reading this in the main post of the thread by John, but is FTX Central V3 going to be released along with OpenLC North America?

Also, will we have to reinstall anything or will it just be a seamless upgrade; meaning will we have to uninstall anything in order to get the new FTX Central working?

Thanks.

Hi John,

While I have all but one of the FTX Europe and N America regions, I do use GEP3D and UTP3D outside of those regions. Will this unification have a negative influence on those addons?

Cheers,

Clayton

On 3/7/2016 at 1:40 AM, John Venema said:

FTX Central V2.1 will be released to deal with the unified lclookup implementation, which it will do for you seamlessly and automatically without anything needing to be re-installed.

Thank the heavens for automatic updates :D I think I'm more excited for the release of the unified deal (eliminating the need for switching) than any other ORBX product, although OpenLC NA comes pretty close ;) Thanks for all the hard work making this awesome stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

JV did not say it would be the 1st March, in fact Orbx do not date their release of products anymore.

JV did say " We will complete testing of the unified lclookup system over February then openLC NA USA/Mexico/Caribbean will enter beta in March. Expect to see preview screenshots in late Feb/early March. "

What I get from that is that beta will start in March.

Just keep your credit card ready and you will not be disappointed. 

• John Venema unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 8.2.2016 at 2:08 PM, masterhawk said:

Hi, regarding the autogen problem, you should take a look to this tool:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/autogen-configuration-merger.147/

And for our friends in paris, take look to this one:

http://marcoh.gratisim.fr/paris_fr.html

The guy, who did this paris scenery, uses the mentioned tool. He includes in his setup a autogen file, that includes his own, franceVFR and ORBX descriptions. With the tool, we schould be able, to merge the files of ORBX and FranceVFR and future updates to them, by ourself. The most recent version of the tool is on the developer page. It works great!

Masterhawk, many thanks for sharing about the new Autogen Configuration Merger tool. I recently purchased FranceVFR's new Paris scenery and got it to work well with Orbx's openLC Europe (which covers the rest of France beyond the Paris area), with autogen working great in both FranceVFR and Orbx.

Here are the simple steps I took, with the help of details in the tool's manuals:

1. Copied FranceVFR's autogen files (the *.spb files), as-is without any modification, into a new "autogen" directory in a FranceVFR scenery directory (that is listed in scenery.cfg).
  2. Installed the AutogenConfigurationMerger tool in P3Dv3 mode, such that the tool will run whenever Prepar3D is started.
  3. Made sure the FranceVFR scenery libraries are above Orbx in scenery.cfg.
  4. When I select Orbx's Global region (to activate openLC Europe) in FTX Central, this causes Orbx's Global autogen files to be copied to Prepar3D's autogen directory.
  5. After Prepar3D is started, the AutogenConfigurationMerger tool will then automatically merge FranceVFR's autogen files into the existing files in Prepar3D's autogen directory. Such a merger occurs only whenever the tool detects the FranceVFR definitions aren't already in the existing files, which will occur whenever FTX Central is used to change regions. 

Edited February 23 by DesertPilot

Hello DesertPilot

What happens, when you run FTX Central later on again? Does AutogenConfigurationMerger tool still work correctly?

Heinz

On 6/21/2016 at 4:56 AM, glasklar said:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/one-last-test-please.436285/What happens, when you run FTX Central later on again? Does AutogenConfigurationMerger tool still work correctly?

Heinz

Each time the latest FTX Central is run, I believe it will cause the latest Orbx autogen (spb) files to be copied to the simulator's "autogen" directory.  So, AutogenConfigurationMerger (ACM) would need to be run again, to cause supplemental spb files (such as FranceVFR) to be merged into the Orbx files.  Yes, I was able to get this working fine with the unified lclookup setup.

I'm not at my flight simulation computer at this time, so if I remember correctly: 

(1) Copy the latest FranceVFR spb files into a new directory such as "E:\Prepar3D\FranceVFR\autogen", along with empty scenery and texture directories under "E:\Prepar3D\FranceVFR".

(2) Add an entry for "E:\Prepar3D\FranceVFR" to scenery.cfg.  

(3) Enable ACM to run whenever Prepar3D is started, via the exe.xml entry for ACM, as per the ACM instructions in the PDF files at http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/one-last-test-please.436285/.  The ACM installer is also at that link.

If for some reason this messes textures up and so on (which I haven't yet seen in my environment so far), just run FTX Central again to restore the Orbx autogen files and deactivate the E:\Prepar3D\FranceVFR scenery entry.

Archived