openLC NA and unified global regions

John Venema

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Taph said:

One question if I may John, will we need to do a reinstall of our existing products to implement this change? 

No, this will likely be implemented via FTX Central itself. There is enormous complexity in the changes we make, involving many checks and scripts but we will be testing all this during this month to make it a painless transition.

The only issue is re-installing FTX Global and FTX regions using the current installers; in that instance FTX Central would detect it and re-apply the new system again.

Also note it will be a mandatory requirement to move to this new unified system to continue to receive support and have forward compatibility with new Orbx products.

A positive possible side effect of not having to switch between regions anymore would be found in the PNW where one could uncheck all the fields they would not being flying to to save VAS enroute and only slect the ones they plan to visit on that flight.  As we have now, that is possible but once you cycle from one region to another (correct me if I am wrong) it re-enables all the fields.

4 hours ago, Kilstorm said:

A positive possible side effect of not having to switch between regions anymore would be found in the PNW where one could uncheck all the fields they would not being flying to to save VAS enroute and only slect the ones they plan to visit on that flight.  As we have now, that is possible but once you cycle from one region to another (correct me if I am wrong) it re-enables all the fields.

That is incorrect, according to my understanding.  At present, all fields are enabled no matter what region is active.  For example, if you have Oceania active, not only AU airports are active but also all your payware North American airports are active.  Try it and see, unless you use a utility like SimStarter.  With it, you have complete control over which airports are active and which are not, independent of which region is active.

Exactly as Stewart says. This is why I'll continue to use SimStarter even after the Great Reunification. I only fly VFR and probably my little Cessna will never make it across the pond. This way I'll continue to select. Loading all scenery (all ORBX plus some more) at once will take longer than I have for a flight after work, even from a SSD. No need to load all Europe and US when flying in NZ.

I still judge the projected advantage to fly from Norway via Denmark to Germany or alternatively from Yellowstone to SLC without any switching inbetween or Hybrid mode. 

Kind regards, Michael

39 minutes ago, pmb said:

Exactly as Stewart says. This is why I'll continue to use SimStarter even after the Great Reunification. I only fly VFR and probably my little Cessna will never make it across the pond. This way I'll continue to select. Loading all scenery (all ORBX plus some more) at once will take longer than I have for a flight after work, even from a SSD. No need to load all Europe and US when flying in NZ.

I still judge the projected advantage to fly from Norway via Denmark to Germany or alternatively from Yellowstone to SLC without any switching inbetween or Hybrid mode.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael,  If your Cessna ever does make it across the pond, please let us all know the secret!  ;)

4 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

At present, all fields are enabled no matter what region is active.  

Correct. But then after the sim loads you can deselect whatever fields you dont want to load and it will stay like that for as many times as you start the sim.  However, once you switch regions it re-selects/re-enables all the Orbx addons and you have to go and deselect them again.  This new system would stop that since you wouldn't have to switch regions anymore.

1 hour ago, Kilstorm said:

Correct. But then after the sim loads you can deselect whatever fields you dont want to load and it will stay like that for as many times as you start the sim.  However, once you switch regions it re-selects/re-enables all the Orbx addons and you have to go and deselect them again.  This new system would stop that since you wouldn't have to switch regions anymore.

I see your point.  And that's why I use SimStarter.  I got tired of deselecting, then selecting, then deselecting, etc., etc.

On 03/02/2016 at 1:47 PM, John Venema said:

The good news is that we have also found new ways to increase the speed with which we can roll out Asia

I actually cannot wait to see Asia get a revamp, Hong Kong in particular needs it so bad!

50 minutes ago, flya150 said:

If no more selecting regions then dose that mean all areas are active to include airports. That's going to slow down loading quite a bit and possibly affect VAS. 

VAS isn't affected by how many airports are loaded, only by those airports the sim needs along your flight route (plus other sundry items).

4 minutes ago, flya150 said:

I know that Stewart But if I can't turn things off than in my scenery library to include regions than That's going to put a load on the sim, airports and regions.

Scott

Then I'm not sure I understand the issue.  If the sim loads up SAK on startup, for example, but you only fly in NCA (Monterey to San Jose, for example) and never go near Alaska, then what's the problem?  The sim never needs the Alaska scenery, so it never uses it, even though SAK is active.

Stewart, try this for a test. Have every thing checked on in your scenery library. Regions, airports even any addon scenery you have. Shut down your sim then reload, notice the time it takes to get to your spinning window. Now go to say.. Monterey airport and take note of the time it takes your sim to load. Now uncheck everything in your scenery library except NoCal region and Monterey airport. shut down your sim and restart. Notice the load time to the spinning window and then go to Monterey airport and see how long it takes to load. If have every thing on has no impact then why the longer load times. So bottom line.I hope Orbx still lets us pic and choose what areas and airports we can have active.

Scott

Load times and memory usage are not the same thing. It's reasonable to expect that the sim will take longer to start if it has to review the contents of more add ons to check whether they are needed or not. It's not something I've experienced to any significant degree, but it's certainly a possibility. But that doesn't mean all those unused add ons will necessarily have any significant impact, on VAS, frame rates, or anything else, once the sim is loaded.

Much like looking for a book on the bookshelf. If you have a lot of books then finding the one you need make take you a bit longer. But once you've found it you don't read any slower just because of the other books you left on the shelf.

5 minutes ago, Luke Stirling said:

Load times and memory usage are not the same thing. It's reasonable to expect that the sim will take longer to start if it has to review the contents of more add ons to check whether they are needed or not. It's not something I've experienced to any significant degree, but it's certainly a possibility. But that doesn't mean all those unused add ons will necessarily have any significant impact, on VAS, frame rates, or anything else, once the sim is loaded.

Much like looking for a book on the bookshelf. If you have a lot of books then finding the one you need make take you a bit longer. But once you've found it you don't read any slower just because of the other books you left on the shelf.

Exactly my point!  Everyone knows that the more scenery you have checked in the scenery library, the longer it takes for the sim to load it all.  But this has no effect on memory usage or even VAS.

35 minutes ago, flya150 said:

Stewart, try this for a test. Have every thing checked on in your scenery library. Regions, airports even any addon scenery you have. Shut down your sim then reload, notice the time it takes to get to your spinning window. Now go to say.. Monterey airport and take note of the time it takes your sim to load. Now uncheck everything in your scenery library except NoCal region and Monterey airport. shut down your sim and restart. Notice the load time to the spinning window and then go to Monterey airport and see how long it takes to load. If have every thing on has no impact then why the longer load times. So bottom line.I hope Orbx still lets us pic and choose what areas and airports we can have active.

Scott

Scott,  Everyone knows the outcome of this test.  But it has nothing to do with VAS or memory usage.

Hi, regarding the autogen problem, you should take a look to this tool:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/autogen-configuration-merger.147/

And for our friends in paris, take look to this one:

http://marcoh.gratisim.fr/paris_fr.html

The guy, who did this paris scenery, uses the mentioned tool. He includes in his setup a autogen file, that includes his own, franceVFR and ORBX descriptions. With the tool, we schould be able, to merge the files of ORBX and FranceVFR and future updates to them, by ourself. The most recent version of the tool is on the developer page. It works great!

On 3.2.2016 at 7:35 PM, John Venema said:

We reached out to the CEO of FranceVFR over 2.5 years ago but he stubbornly refused to share his autogen description definitions with us, even though Aerosoft, EarthSimulations, 29Palms and other companies were happy to do so. So in fact they have 'orphaned' themselves by not adding their definitions to our modified files.

On 3.2.2016 at 10:18 PM, Jeff974 said:

That's a pity, i don't buy their products because of this incompatibility with FTX although i'm French, living in Paris. They are isolating them self, FTX being obviously a market leader.
I wish somehow both companies could find a arrangement/gentlemen agreement in the future

Good heavens, how did I miss this news?  This is HUGE!

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:27 PM, pmb said:

I'll continue to use SimStarter even after the Great Reunification. 

I love it - the Great Reunification!  That's perfect!

Yes we can now make use of the groups functionality in SimStarter.  Would be nice even if FTX Central V3 incorporated the core functions of what SimStarter does.

Hate waiting, but waiting for a huge jump forward in quality and convenience is TOTALLY worthwhile  Orbx is fantastic and I'm sure I'll be captive for years more.  And thank you for sharing the info

1 hour ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

All that work Pero did to incorporate Central into SimStarter flushed down the toilet.  :D

This is certainly true as such. I might go on using SimStarter, though. Otherweise, loading times will be longer than my spare time after work, despite SSDs. I might arrange at least three GA flying regions NA, OC, EU. Another critical point might be Vector which I am switching off over fat regions now (aside from the Sydney double bridge issue I think it eats ressources when active).

But this is speculation for now, of course.

Kind regards, Michael

2 hours ago, pmb said:

This is certainly true as such. I might go on using SimStarter, though. Otherweise, loading times will be longer than my spare time after work, despite SSDs. I might arrange at least three GA flying regions NA, OC, EU. Another critical point might be Vector which I am switching off over fat regions now (aside from the Sydney double bridge issue I think it eats ressources when active).

But this is speculation for now, of course.

Kind regards, Michael

I will be doing the same, Michael--GA flying regions for NA, OC and EU, to cut down on loading times.  I'm not convinced, however, that switching off Vector when in the fat regions accomplishes anything (except for Australia, of course).

Great news and well worth a bit of extra waiting for the new LC NA.

Regarding Australia FTX and Vector is there hope that a new FTX central can also tackle this by switching off vector when flying into Australia or will this still have to be done manually? 

Archived