First Solo!

sammyflyboy

Just under a week ago I took my first solo flight... A truly unforgettable experience. I've spent countless hours browsing this forum over the years, and it helped so much in fostering my love for aviation. On this flight, I just did three full stop landings at Van Nuys airport. Not my finest landings, but that didn't change how special that day was. I'll never forget it. My dad was working at Microsoft in the late 90s/early 2000s and got me FS2002 when I was just around four years old. Through Flight sim, RC flying, along with the film One Six Right (if you haven't seen it, I can't recommend it enough!), I kept my love for airplanes alive. Now I'm 17 and hopefully will get my PPL in the coming months. This is so surreal. Can't wait to see what role aviation plays in my life. 

12507521_645425355595828_181983243729013

Congratulations Sammy!
Never mind the landings: there is too much emotion involved!

On my solo, the first landing I did not even realize I had done ... after the flight,  the instructor said I took a hard landing and stay in the air for about 5 seconds. LoL

Voyager

First solo is an experience that has nothing to equal the feeling of accomplishment.  Congratulations on your first step into aviation.  Although its been almost 60 years I can remember every one of those first three landings without a GIB (Guy In Back).

The first solo is a bit like the first kiss. Never forgotten. I just watched One Six Right and enjoyed it greatly. Thanks for the tip. As did Greg, (above) I did my first solo in 1968. Twas a great time to be flying. Good luck with your air adventures Sam.

Archived