The Last of the Old West Returns: Jackson Hole Triple Installer On The Way!

aed25d1a7647eb98744293566a362d80.jpg

G'day guys,

As we all wait with excitement for Tim and Ken's amazing Samoan Experience, I'd love to show a few screenshots from the latest triple-installer I've been working on, KJAC Jackson Hole Airport for the Central Rockies region. Originally released in mid-2012, Jackson Hole was an expansive project that aimed to recreate not only one of the most scenic airport approaches in the US, but also the entire Teton Range and several surrounding towns and villages. A favourite with both procedural airline simmers and GA enthusiasts alike, the airport is notoriously difficult to fly into during certain parts of the year; unpredictable weather, a short runway and high altitude can make Jackson Hole a challenging location. As the tourist gateway to both Grand Teton and nearby Yellowstone National Parks, expect a mix of airliner traffic, corporate bijzets and private GA aircraft. In addition to a fully-compatible P3Dv2 version, there have been some additions, changes and fixes to the FSX version to bring it up to 2015 standards. 

Coverage Area:

796a279b78ddafcac8d86fdc111a2bf0.jpg

New Features for Triple Installer/Service Pack 1:

- Full compatibility with Prepar3d V2

- Replaced all legacy AGN lighting with new performance-friendly lighting

- New runway and apron lighting system for better performance and consistent display results on all systems

- Updated FSX models to counter some DX10 lighting issues

- Minor updates to some ground poly detail textures (lines etc)

- Other visual fixes and minor updates

nb. For full product details and information, please visit the Jackson Hole Product Page.

And of course, for anyone considering picking up a copy of Jackson Hole for the first time, don't forget that it is heavily discounted until the end of the month!

Enjoy!

Jarrad

34d82a85cbe5b2ed79a1a2a541ce1c23.jpg

913cc8903a8e2e0969754aedd05d8c42.jpg

ab3273054a151cbb7f239a0c4e08a661.jpg

02c03a477a5b83b95bd28b08b6b67707.jpg

e1be8a58474aeb109ad4fbe0141377ac.jpg

ef16fbb28edb4e39e093a4ba8e0de9ac.jpg

fa4fbe6b55fb60e96c700953b5cebf12.jpg

f6817c6172a77bcca3e02df491a42c3d.jpg

b0ef9a89799a710b89421a0c506e23b4.jpg

And a couple of shots from FSX

302ecd34ca4f22771aef04d36e9bb523.jpg

ca2f99356ec78907f55f7128fe43559d.jpg

44036ab515eccc85f9bf9a2db4edf997.jpg

7a4e8c28e9f383ca45bac8be7e3ef0ff.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jarrad

Many thanks for all that hard work to adapt KJAC to P3D, really appreciated.

Is this update available? I visited your link and found no update on the product page nor in the support updates. 

My misunderstanding?

its a preview SG

Is this update available? I visited your link and found no update on the product page nor in the support updates. 

My misunderstanding?

Superglide, this is a preview of the upcoming Jackson Hole triple-installer.  It now needs to go through testing, etc.

| Already answered by Dominique, pardon the duplicate answer.

Great work, Jarrad! Been eagerly waiting for the triple installer! One question: I would love to buy Bozeman airport in the ongoing sale. However, I'm reluctant as there is no triple installer yet. Can you give an approximate timeline for the triple installer? I know that you can't give an exact date but it would be helpful to know if this is already in the works and just weeks away or if it will take another couple of month... I know that there will be one eventually, but I just don't want to buy it and then only be able to use it one year from now...

Excellent!  Did you end up having to rebuild to get around the altitude offset issue or has LM come out with a solution?

LM has accepted that there is such an issue, but is not able to fix it until P3D v3:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/95475-well-at-least-there-will-be-a-version-3/

For those high-altitude products being upgraded to P3D v2, Orbx developers are having to do it the hard way, it appears.

Many thanks to Jarrad for plowing ahead with the KJAC update!

Great Work Jarrad. I have been reluctant to get P3D due to the high altitude airport issue.  I might have to let go of FSX and get P3D now.  Also, (I could be mistaken) but the reason why there US Government 757 was present at KJAC was because that was the residence of our vice President Dick Cheney back when he was the Vice President.  Since he no longer is the Vice President (since 2008) does that 757 aircraft still fly into KJAC?   

Matthew

I might have to let go of FSX and get P3D now.

Or, just have both FSX and P3D installed on the same computer, Orbx products can be installed into both using the same license keys (as long as everything is on one computer).

Statement from JV regarding this type of usage:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/94456-question-about-licenses/?p=857676

Or, just have both FSX and P3D installed on the same computer, Orbx products can be installed into both using the same license keys (as long as everything is on one computer).

This is what I do!  I also have XP10, so all three happily residing on the same SSD!

Anyway thank you Jarrad!  Sweet!  My favorite Orbx airport!

I was just thinking about this place yesterday -- everytime I start to contemplate going back to FSX, Jarrad comes thru with the goods. And not only a conversion, but he finds a way to make improvements on it.

Amazing. I never regrest a nickel I spend with ORBX.

Jarrad, you are the best! How did you bypass the tessellation bug so fast? Is there a general solution and does that mean that other high altitude airports are portable now as well?

Thanks a lot,

Fabian

Thanks very much guys, glad you are all looking forward to it :)

Great work, Jarrad! Been eagerly waiting for the triple installer! One question: I would love to buy Bozeman airport in the ongoing sale. However, I'm reluctant as there is no triple installer yet. Can you give an approximate timeline for the triple installer? I know that you can't give an exact date but it would be helpful to know if this is already in the works and just weeks away or if it will take another couple of month... I know that there will be one eventually, but I just don't want to buy it and then only be able to use it one year from now...

G'day Carlo - these high altitude airports are quite a bit of work to convert over to P3D2, so whilst I don't quite know how much work will be involved getting Bozeman ready, my short answer would be not to expect it within the the short-term. 

Excellent!  Did you end up having to rebuild to get around the altitude offset issue or has LM come out with a solution?

LM has accepted that there is such an issue, but is not able to fix it until P3D v3:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/95475-well-at-least-there-will-be-a-version-3/

For those high-altitude products being upgraded to P3D v2, Orbx developers are having to do it the hard way, it appears.

Great Work Jarrad. I have been reluctant to get P3D due to the high altitude airport issue.  I might have to let go of FSX and get P3D now.  Also, (I could be mistaken) but the reason why there US Government 757 was present at KJAC was because that was the residence of our vice President Dick Cheney back when he was the Vice President.  Since he no longer is the Vice President (since 2008) does that 757 aircraft still fly into KJAC?   

Matthew

Jarrad, you are the best! How did you bypass the tessellation bug so fast? Is there a general solution and does that mean that other high altitude airports are portable now as well?

Thanks a lot,

Fabian

Hi guys, as DesertPilot points out, we have known for a little while not to expect any changes to the core P3D2 engine to change this issue within the near future. Unfortunately there hasn't been any fast/quick fix to this issue - it's been quite a bit of work to convert the airport over, involving a few unorthodox fixes, a bunch of re-working of most core components and a little bit of trial and error. The good news is of course that KJAC is almost ready for you all to fly around in P3D2, but the bad news is that it won't quicken the conversion process for other high-altitude airports such as KBZN.

Colour me surprised. Because of the tesselation bug I thought your next rework would be Anacortes.

A very nice surprise indeed.

I know that there have been many requests to see KJAC in particular converted over to P3D2, this was my primary reason to finish work on this one. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi guys, as DesertPilot points out, we have known for a little while not to expect any changes to the core P3D2 engine to change this issue within the near future. Unfortunately there hasn't been any fast/quick fix to this issue - it's been quite a bit of work to convert the airport over, involving a few unorthodox fixes, a bunch of re-working of most core components and a little bit of trial and error. The good news is of course that KJAC is almost ready for you all to fly around in P3D2, but the bad news is that it won't quicken the conversion process for other high-altitude airports such as KBZN.

Will it need a lot of rework when LM finally gets to fix the tesselation bug? I think Alex hinted to a technique that can revert it back quite easily - would that be true for KJAC?

Sorry to hassle but is there any news on when Juneau will be converted to P3D?

Apparently within the next few months...check out JV's recent comments on Alaska airports:

Cheers saw these links a few hours after posting my comments

This looks great!  I have one question though...I fly a 737 so outside of landing I typically fly at higher altitudes.   This is a bigger picture question for Orbx airports that require a scenery (in this case Central Rockies)  - I'm not sure that I would get the benefit of NA at a higher altitude so instead I have Orbx Global and Vector.  Is there not a way to purchase Jackson Hole w/o NA?  Feels like NA would be a waste of money and hurt frame rates as well.

Thanks.

Excellent news!

Interesting to note the difference in appearance between the P3D mountains (Tetons) and the FSX versions: the FSX versions are much clearer, crisper, and just more real looking.

I know that P3D has some LOD issues, but sheesh, this is really troublesome!

John

Archived