The Last of the Old West Returns: Jackson Hole Triple Installer On The Way!

Jarrad, can you please answer the above quotes?

I'm not Jarrad, but I can answer that ;)

P3D is very different in the way it handles terrain in the distance, compared to FSX.

FSX looks objectively "better" because it renders higher resolution textures and terrain shape at further distances. This distance can also be increased using a setting in the main configuration file in FSX leading to even better results, but doing so increases the load on the sim and the risk of running out of VAS memory. The setting is "LOD_RADIUS=x.x" and in FSX, it can be set as high as desired.

P3D has a lot more happening if the settings are turned up, so to avoid running out of VAS memory, terrain in the distance is deliberately rendered at lower resolution. Unlike FSX, the setting controlling the radius at which high resolution textures (and autogen objects) are displayed has a maximum limit... a value of 6.5

In other words, the closer you get to the mountains, the better they will look... but at a distance, there will always be a trade off in P3D... better looking shadows, terrain and lighting and excellent close up visuals at the expense of a slight loss of distant clarity.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you go to your sims' settings menu, you'll see a slider called "level of detail radius"... that's the slider that controls this particular setting.

For P3D, because it can't be forced any higher, just use the slider.

For FSX, find your FSX.cfg file (a search on Google will help you locate this file as it can be in various locations depending on your operating system), open the file using notepad, then look for the line reading "LOD_RADIUS=X.X"... The "X.X" part will of course be a number, something like "4.5" or similar. You can then change this number, save the file, and run the sim.

Some FSX users have this as high as 9.5... that setting looks great, but go anywhere near a heavy urban area and you're looking for problems. Personally, I have mine set to 6.5 which seems to work well.

Soon, soon...

waiting, waiting, fuel low, waiting...

Soon... soon... and my fuel level is very low

In Clint Eastwood words (Firefox): "Looks like I'm going swimming"!  

Then Jarrad,  surprise Clint  with a large ice floe as a KJAC runway-release!

Then Clint say "I don't believe it!"

And I will say the same!

I need land my Aircraft on KJAC!

Jarraaaad... any "Ice floe release" in the Horizon?

"Soon..."

Miquel

(no, not Mitchell Gant)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uninstalling isn't necessary, our installers typically remove previous installations of their target product.

However, if you'd like to remove the old copy, here is the FAQ topic on uninstallation: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/30376-uninstalling-ftx-airports-a-quick-guide/

Just navigate to the NA folder instead of AU and look for the KJAC folder within.

Hi Rick

How can I uninstall the old version ?  Please kindly advise. Many thanks.

Terry 

Terry.  Alex beat me too it, make sure to run the Library's afterwards and run Vector, oh and after installing CRM Gold i need to buy more airports too fill the Yellowstone area, any thoughts on whats available.??

Many thanks to Alex and Rick for their quick replies.

I take this opportunity to say that Orbx Forums are the best among other forums that has many members to response and assist others very quickly and correctly.  Thank you all for the excellent replies and assistance.

Terry

Archived