Trees HD will now BOOST YOUR PERFORMANCE!

You heard right, folks!  We've managed to fine-tune the tech in Trees HD so that it will actually give you UP TO A +10 FPS BOOST IN PERFORMANCE!!  Eugene, our resident autogen wizard, has optimized the autogen models for max efficiency, without any loss of visual quality!

Now the question is, what will you do with those extra FPS?  Crank up your autogen slider for higher tree density?  Just enjoy the extra smoothness?  The choice is yours :)

-Scott

Performance comparison screenshots:

(Note - All of the below shots show Trees HD textures, not default ORBX textures.  The pics are meant to show the increase in performance without loss of visual quality)

North America (PNW):

Old = 33.5 FPS

New = 41.4 FPS

Difference = +7.9 FPS!

2f411d0fabe6f0cd35f0bb91ec970234.jpg

fb26eb9170fe2216bf954afbbb888f96.jpg

Europe (England):

Old = 45.5 FPS

New = 57.6 FPS

Difference = +12.1 FPS!

aaae1124b46d4bb9e6726fa2e1719162.jpg

572ef9ad1d90b680d999c8087afdbc4f.jpg

Now the question is, what will you do with those extra FPS?  Crank up your autogen slider for higher tree density?  Just enjoy the extra smoothness?  The choice is yours :)

-Scott

More tree density for me please! Excellent work on the optimization, I can't wait for this to be released.

I'm already cranked up to be honest but OOM are back sometimes if I stay a long time on P3D.

So if those trees could also use less memory it would be top notch !

Anyway the credit card is ready...hurry up please !  ^-^  ^-^

I love you guys ;) "Whoa, steady on Sid" LOL

But seriously, Scott and Eugene, do you appreciate how big and far-reaching what you guys just did is? Everyone's simming experience just got improved and upgraded in this one genius move! And at a time in our hobby where 'Performance' is a key issue and increasing challenge. And VAS still no trouble? Words can't thank you enough fellas, but THANK YOU very very much! Just what I needed at just the right time :) What wizardry is this? ðŸ˜

Exactly, but look at the performance increase :)

These shots show the fps with an old build of TreesHD vs a new build

Oh - I get it now. They look just as good but better FPS :)

Sorry, I just thought the trees were going to look different - but great job here guys  :)

If I understand it right, these are both TreesHD.  You are comparing a new build of TreesHD (optimised)  vs  TreesHD previous build, not TreesHD vs Actual ORBS trees ?

Awersome results btw..

CC ready !

If I understand it right, these are both TreesHD.  You are comparing a new build of TreesHD (optimised)  vs  TreesHD previous build, not TreesHD vs Actual ORBS trees ?

Awersome results btw..

CC ready !

Yes, exactly!  All 4 of the above shots show Trees HD textures, not default ORBX trees.  Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

So to clarify, Trees HD will:

1. Vastly improve the appearance and resolution of all trees, worldwide

Improve performance by up to 10 FPS

Hope that clears things up!

Cheers,

Scott

Just as a point of comparison for those interested in a comparison between current trees and HD trees, I tested a "before and after" in Seattle in PNW using cranked up settings and added live weather via ASN, 35% traffic and a high quality payware aircraft And REX 4 clouds and water... arguably the worst performing area in the sim, especially with other addons. This is my usual "stress test".

with current trees (what you have now), FPS was 22.

With new HD trees (added by the upcoming HD Trees), FPS was 25

Not a huge difference at first glance, but considering that's a 12% increase in a high stress area, with higher detailed trees (4 times the detail), it's a win-win all round :)

Higher FPS areas and more rural locations show even greater improvements.

Hey it's March 28 not April 1st, are you guys serious :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ?

Well if this is true it is unbelievable news :o .

Thanks Scott and Eugene for this unexpected news, if HD trees weren't enough.

Looking forwards to the next rabbit out of the hat! :P

Great news! Great product!

And once it is out of your door, could you please do the same magic to the autogen buildings and to the ground textures?

I mean: sharper textures and better performance would do no harm there. :ph34r:

I've so much respect for Orbx for being a developer that's always responsible with 'Performance factors' (by that I particularly mean, primarily VAS and secondarily FPS) and always strives to give it due consideration in the development of any kind of add-on they produce, within the limitations of the sim obviously. You guys should be really proud of your record and reputation on Performance factors over time as some developers these days are only paying attention to visual 'Quality' predominantly, which I believe has largely approached a happy level for now, without balancing things or whilst paying little or insufficient attention to Performance. This FTX Trees HD is the perfect example of an ideal product that improves both factors, visuals and performance...Now that is a rare thing, but very significant when it has such a global impact to the entire sim and therefore potentially to the entire flight simulation community (ESP-based anyway). I'd encourage some other-party devs to wake up and take note of Orbx and such levels of care, attention and responsibility. Perfect job!

"performance boost in P3D"

SOLD

Not bothered if they look the same, anything that pushers up FPS with no loss of looks is a huge plus. Great work.

Also VAS lookes a little better so the tree level slider can go up

LM has yet to find a solution to the flashing vertical lines that pop up when the Building Autogen slider is full right. I dont have much frame penalty with my 780ti and the GPU is below full use, but that generates these unpleasant artifacts and leads to a BSOD  after a while. 

On June 2nd Zach from LM wrote http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/flashing-vertical-lines/page/2/

We are aware of the issue, and we have previously responded to threads on the issue. We have an internal ticket created to continue looking into the issue. The batching system for autogen buildings is pretty complex and the nature of the bug makes it extremely difficult to track down since it happens infrequently and sporadically

So maybe  the OrbX wizard may find a cure.

10 FPS + with the same quality is really impressive. DXT5 compression?

That's 10 fps comparing an older beta of the HD trees with a new beta: let's not forget that. With my current very high settings I get 30 fps in P3D but I won't expect an fps of 40 with this addon. It all depends on your settings. As was posted in the meantime a comparison between default trees and HD trees showed an increase of only a few fps. Still, any increase is welcome, of course.

I am a bit surprised by this topic because at first we were told this addon wouldn't hurt fps but apparently the older version that was talked about DID hurt fps. Luckily this was solved and things have improved. But imho statements about performance improvements should always be posted cautiously and read with a pinch of salt because as we all (should) know, performance is very system dependent. I am 100% certain most people will NOT get a 10 fps improvement with this addon just like that. Hence my slight amazement about the rather enthusiastic posts of the devs about this.

I understand that you may be sceptical but do we really need "War and Peace"?

There's nothing wrong with the post.  The post is letting everyone know about the performance increase they have found.

Not an issue.  In fact this is extremely exciting news.  Looking forward to release.

Good job guys.

Jas

That looks and sounds great for Trees HD...!

Now the question is, what will you do with those extra FPS?  

... and another question is: What would such a careful work do to a frame rate eater like Brisbane? Or Melbourne?  8)

That's 10 fps comparing an older beta of the HD trees with a new beta: let's not forget that. With my current very high settings I get 30 fps in P3D but I won't expect an fps of 40 with this addon. It all depends on your settings. As was posted in the meantime a comparison between default trees and HD trees showed an increase of only a few fps. Still, any increase is welcome, of course.

I am a bit surprised by this topic because at first we were told this addon wouldn't hurt fps but apparently the older version that was talked about DID hurt fps. Luckily this was solved and things have improved. But imho statements about performance improvements should always be posted cautiously and read with a pinch of salt because as we all (should) know, performance is very system dependent. I am 100% certain most people will NOT get a 10 fps improvement with this addon just like that. Hence my slight amazement about the rather enthusiastic posts of the devs about this.

Here's a comparison closer to what you mentioned... Between current tech standard trees and new tech HD trees. Two locations, one of which is the typical simmers nightmare of Seattle on an overcast day.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/95059-ftx-hd-trees-performance-gains-quantified/

While up to 10fps improvement is certainly possible in some areas, it's probably better to think of it as an approximate percentage increase in FPS... The lower the baseline FPS for a given scene is, the smaller the FPS increase in terms of numbers... But the percentage increase seems to hold fairly true for all scenes...

In my case, with my system, I'm seeing approximately 12% to 15% increase in FPS.

Here's a comparison closer to what you mentioned... Between current tech standard trees and new tech HD trees. Two locations, one of which is the typical simmers nightmare of Seattle on an overcast day.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/95059-ftx-hd-trees-performance-gains-quantified/

While up to 10fps improvement is certainly possible in some areas, it's probably better to think of it as an approximate percentage increase in FPS... The lower the baseline FPS for a given scene is, the smaller the FPS increase in terms of numbers... But the percentage increase seems to hold fairly true for all scenes...

In my case, with my system, I'm seeing approximately 12% to 15% increase in FPS.

Well, I have to admit the performance improvement above Seattle is very nice indeed!

BTW I planned to buy this addon already before there was talk about performance improvements, so all these improvements will make me buy the addon even quicker. I wasn't bashing the product or anything, I was just trying to point out one should be careful with how to communicate things like this. ;)

Archived