Trees HD: FPS and VAS Comparisons

Many of you have had questions or concerns regarding what kind of performance hit Trees HD will have on your system.  The short answer is:  Hardly any, if at all!

Here are some comparison shots to show you what I mean.  In each shot, VAS is in the top bar, with FPS below it.  As you can see, the numbers are quite similar.  Keep in mind that my FPS were fluctuating plus or minus about 10 for all of these shots; the average difference is pretty much negligible on my system.  As for VAS, there's not much of a difference either.  In fact, you can see that for the shot in Austria, VAS is actually slightly higher with the OLD textures!  Now, I'm not claiming that Trees HD will give you a performance increase, but for those of you who were worried about a large performance hit, hopefully these shots put your worries at ease :)

PNW - Israel's Farm - OLD:

IsraelsFarm_OLD.jpg

PNW - Israel's Farm - TreesHD:

IsraelsFarm_NEW.jpg

Global - Austria - OLD:

Austria_OLD.jpg

Global - Austria - TreesHD:

Austria_NEW.jpg

Global - Thailand - OLD:

936aa3471840c9ee36063eafd2c251c6.jpg

Global - Thailand - TreesHD:

faf1b12f7a518e8085dee88c6f18bdde.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

Edit: The previous Thailand screenshots were pretty lousy; I replaced them with better ones.

Just wanted to confirm whether the Global-Thailand screenshots are correctly labeled?  Somehow, the trees in "Global-Thailand-OLD" look better than the trees in "Global-Thailand-TreesHD"?  Am wondering whether the labels were inadvertently reversed....

Edit:  It's hard to tell for sure, given the lower-resolution screenshots posted here...if the Global-Thailand shots are indeed correctly labeled, I'm curious about the significantly higher VAS for TreesHD....

Great fps - but dont take this the wrong way but not noticing a noticeable difference in the textures ?

Look closer ;)  We'll post some better comparison shots on the product page after it's been created in the next few days; these shots were really just meant to show FPS and VAS usage, and they are pretty low resolution.

Just wanted to confirm whether the Global-Thailand screenshots are correctly labeled?  Somehow, the trees in "Global-Thailand-OLD" look better than the trees in "Global-Thailand-TreesHD"?  Am wondering whether the labels were inadvertently reversed....

Edit:  It's hard to tell for sure, given the lower-resolution screenshots posted here...if the Global-Thailand shots are indeed correctly labeled, I'm curious about the significantly higher VAS for TreesHD....

They were correctly labelled.  It was a pretty lousy couple of shots; I've replaced them with better ones that more accurately reflect the real look and feel of the product.  As for the VAS usage, it was higher for Trees HD in the old screenshot, but in this new one it's lower.  The only thing that was changed were the tree textures.  You have to understand that VAS is not an exact science.  You can see this for yourself if you save a flight, note the VAS, then restart FS and reload that exact same scene: the VAS is likely to be quite different, even though they are identical scenes you haven't changed any settings.  So the thing to look for is averages, and during my tests, the average VAS usage with and without Trees HD is about the same.

The first two comparisons seem OK to me. Thailand *is* better - though maybe not as obvious.

Adam.

The visual differences are apparent to my eyes, I guess it's a matter of which version someone might prefer. But at that price I would buy it regardless, especially since it can be turned on or off. And if the product possibly gets further development in the future it could get better or expand into diffent autogen aspects (perhaps). For me it's a definite purchase.

The visual differences are apparent to my eyes, I guess it's a matter of which version someone might prefer. But at that price I would buy it regardless, especially since it can be turned on or off. And if the product possibly gets further development in the future it could get better or expand into diffent autogen aspects (perhaps). For me it's a definite purchase.

Some good points Sir  :)

Archived