Oh, Dash it all!

Adam Banks

Dash it all - I went out and bought it. It's all Stu's fault! You get a lot of Dash for your money!

The Virtualcol Dash-8 Q300(or DHC-311Q as they call it) - Queenstown departure:

vcol_dash8_nzqn_01_773_1280.jpg

vcol_dash8_nzqn_02_856_1280.jpg

vcol_dash8_nzqn_03_8_1280.jpg

vcol_dash8_nzqn_04_819_1280.jpg

vcol_dash8_nzqn_05_115_1280.jpg

If I can tame the paintkit, I'm going to have a go at getting rid of the "burned-in" shadows. Observant viewers will notice that the pics above show the side of the aircraft that's in total shade :lol:

Adam.

P.S. Some helpful correspondence with the developers (VC) sealed the deal, as it were. Customer support wins!

Loved the takeoff - top! And also the overflights of the mountains, sounds (?)

Thanks! Nope - not near the Sounds! I took off and followed a roughly SW course and just kept snapping away. None of these are that far from NZQN - except the last one, but I forgot to look where I was before I quit (all this green stuff looks the same to me :lol:).

Adam.

Thanks for the comments folks!

The Vcol Dash is popular, I suspect, because it's great value - and that the RL aircraft operates in so many small airlines all over the world.

It can't be compared to a "study" version, like the Majestic - but it sure is fun!

Adam.

P.S. Any VCol Dash users out there found a way of changing the map range in the HSI?

Welcome aboard Adam.

This is one of the best aircraft I have brought, nice and simple to fly which suits nice and simple me.

Great shots too, I like the ANZ colours on this version.

Thanks for the welcome! I like the MJC model, but this is also fun!

Seeing as the ANZ colours appear popular, I'll be doing a "de-shadowed" version soon - and maybe the "Pacific Wave" livery (which I much prefer to the black abomination :lol:).

In the meantime, here's a little bonus for ORBX fliers:

vcol_dash6_vc_revision_1280.jpg

A revised VC panel texture, with legible type on the top panel. Available here:

http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=dload&fname=virtualcol_dash8_q200-300_vc_replacement.zip

Adam.

If you manage some "clean" paints I might consider getting this plane :)

I'm just waiting to hear back from the developers as to whether they can find layered .psd files with the shadows on separate layers. Otherwise, it's a rather painstaking process.

I'm definitely waiting to do a couple of the ANZ ones.

Adam.

Very nice pics Adam. I'm finding the Majestic a right handful to cope with. Maybe another in the hanger is the answer.

It won't be just another - it'll be LOADS of others :lol:.

I love the MJC Dash - but it is definitely "quirky". It has a logic all of its very own. I found that after a while, I could "fly" almost any of the more modern Boeings or Airbuses - their systems seem to be logical. Maybe it's because it's a turboprop, but the Dash seems a totally different kettle of fish.

The only thing I'm not too keen on with the with the MJC model is the shape. To "pointy" by half. At least with the VirtualCol offering you get some of the shorter/blunter variants (apart from the Q400 which is even more pencil-like!).

The VC Dash is very definitely more of a "get up and go" aircraft - and will appeal to many people for exactly that. People who enjoy going through 20-page checklists can always jump into the NGX :lol:. I'm such an addict, I like both styles!

To be perfectly honest, though, I'd swap all my Dash's for an up-to-date "study" ATR-72!

Adam.

Have you done any night flights? If so, how does the VC look at night?

No I haven't got round to any night flights yet, but I did some night tests when I added some Shockwave lights:

vcol_dash8_noshade_02_257_1280.jpg

Here's the VC at night. You're not going to get dimmable PMDG-style lighting at this price, but it looks OK to me (if not a tiny bit bright!):

vcol_dash8_noshade_03_697_1280.jpg

I've "de-shadowed" one of the liveries. It's a bit of a kludge until I get the full paint-kit:

vcol_dash8_noshade_01_126_1280.jpg

Adam.

Is there a way to hide the flight yoke in VC?

I submitted a support ticket at Virtualcol several days ago and have not received a reply to what i thought was just a simple yes or no question lol :)

If there is a way to hide it, I haven't found it!

I suspect VirtualCol are a little unprepared for the popularity of this aircraft. They have no support forum or any easy/formalised way of contacting them. They do respond to emails, but it usually takes a day or two.

Adam.

If there is a way to hide it, I haven't found it!

I suspect VirtualCol are a little unprepared for the popularity of this aircraft. They have no support forum or any easy/formalised way of contacting them. They do respond to emails, but it usually takes a day or two.

Adam.

Cool! Thanks Adam!

Archived