openLC EU delay - and why

Hello everyone,

As you have no doubt seen from the many preview screenshots, we are very busy building out new landclass and texture content for openLC EU and the results speak for themselves; when we're finished you will receive a very unique and spectacular Europe to fly over, with a huge amount of custom textures to ensure each area "feels" right.

The downside of all this additional custom texture work is that is adds to the overall project timeline because every texture tile needs to have 5 seasons, night lighting and autogen annotation added. This is proving to be taking much longer than anticipated because the honest truth is that Europe is so diverse in terrain and climates, that we feel that it needs to be done as good as it can be the first time around.

Whilst we ambitiously announced a release timeframe of October/November 2013 and then subsequently Jan/Feb/Apr/May, the reality is that it's going to take a little while longer. The good news? We have learnt a LOT about processing data sources for LC and this will help us produce the openLC NA region much more quickly, even with the texture workload.

So here are the remaining EU regions entering testing over the coming 4-5 weeks:

• Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria
  • Eastern Europe

• Europe Mediterranean West, Europe Mediterranean East

• Western Russia

• UK and Ireland

Once we have UK/Ireland in testing we'll be close to making a full beta installer for FSX/P3D1/P3D2 which will then get the green-light testing applied for release.

I know this is disappointing news for those who are anxious to get their hands on this product, but please bear with while we continue to fine-tune the data translation process and get the methodology working efficiently.

As the CEO I sometimes need to make the call between releasing and delaying, and in this instance Orbx will serve its customers better by taking just that extra time needed to get the product to a more mature state. I am sure we'll be thanked later on, despite the inevitable grumbles :)

I know there have been many requests to see Germany, Southern France, Italy and many more locations; these will be previewed very soon and you will again see the vast improvement this product makes to the flying experience.

Thanks in advance for you patience, and the whole team is encouraged by the fantastic anticipation and support for openLC we can see expressed enthusiastically!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank You very much JV for this honest and informative message!

I am 200% sure that most (if not in fact all) current and potential future Open-LC customers will fully understand this delay and in the end will be more than happy to have a reliable, high-quality product in their hands rather than a rushed package requiring  one patch after another.

Good things take time to evolve and as we are not talking about years here, but a mere few weeks, there's nothing to really worry about at all!

And when keeping in mind that all that was learnt here at first will speed up those further announced OpenLC-packages in the future, i actually consider this to be good news!

There is FAR less grumbling when you are open and honest, like you are and always have been. We're all going to a new place where we've never been, so there isn't really a map to follow, is there?

Just keep on pedaling, guys! And keep sharing those progress preview threads, those are great!

JV thank's for the update, its done when its done, its not like you don't have any other great scenery, we are spoiled for choice when it comes to where we want to fly.

Exactly. We have what, 10-12 FTX regions to keep us occupied?

Thank You very much JV for this honest and informative message!

I am 200% sure that most (if not in fact all) current and potential future Open-LC customers will fully understand this delay and in the end will be more than happy to have a reliable, high-quality product in their hands rather than a rushed package requiring  one patch after another.

Good things take time to evolve and as we are not talking about years here, but a mere few weeks, there's nothing to really worry about at all!

And when keeping in mind that all that was learnt here at first will speed up those further announced OpenLC-packages in the future, i actually consider this to be good news!

++++1

I'll gladly wait for a good product instead of getting hold of a rushed and buggy one :) And judging by the preeview screenies this will be a very good one indeed...

Cheers

Mallard

Thanks for the information - happy for you to take your time and make it as good as it can be.

Great to hear that subsequent OpenLC releases should be quicker to produce.  NA will be good, but what I'm really waiting for are the Asian and African releases, as the default landclass and textures in those areas are far worse than the US and Canada, and there are no Orbx regions in those continents.

No problem waiting. Just bought the PNW after months trying the demo in an old installation of FSX. Now I've a "grown up" computer there are a lot of things to explore. Will be good to see Europe when it is done, though!

JA

Take your time, John and team, and thanks for the heads up.

What I've seen from the preview shots far exceeds my expectations - and global already looked good before ;)

The unique regional textures are a pure joy to look at.

No problem at all!

If you want to speed up and improve the beta testing:

Please let us know if you need additional beta-testers from the respctive countries (like from France, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Germany, etc). I am sure you will find some here and I am sure it would improve the feed-back from first useres with first hand knowledge about the areas. 

One question though,

considering that you already have FTX Regions of the British Isles, is it save to assume that texture work on these is essentially done?

Yes that assumption is mostly correct; we are using the existing custom LC and some textures, and adding some new textures also.

Here's two shots from Germany to whet your appetites :)

1sxhz.jpg

BPTI4.jpg

Thanks for the information, much appreciated:

Patience, persistence and perspiration, make an unbeatable combination for success.

I'll just keep sweating on it :D :D :D

Wow! That's the fiels I've always missed in flightsim (with the yellow flowers, don't know the english word for them) - we have a lot of those fields in Denmark as well here in the summer time, but I've never seen them depicted before like this - amazing!

Mas

Hi Mas,

Those yellow fields seen in UK and Europe this time of year are Rape Seed flowers, very bright, in bloom, but smell dreadful, then the plants are later sprayed off, and then the seeds are harvested in late July, into August

Cheers,

Phew... I had no idea how I was going to get around all the global airports before heading to Europe to check out the new LC. It'll be ready when it's ready, and there are plenty of other places to visit in the meantime.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks. Take 2 months extra for all I care, quality is the only thing that's important to me, the excellent quality that I've seen so far of this product.  And please, don't rush Eastern Europe, I want the same quality everywhere and not just in the countries were most customers come from.

The downside of all this additional custom texture work is that is adds to the overall project timeline because every texture tile needs to have 5 seasons, night lighting and autogen annotation added. This is proving to be taking much longer than anticipated because the honest truth is that Europe is so diverse in terrain and climates, that we feel that it needs to be done as good as it can be the first time around.

That's now the second time that I noticed on this forum that you talk about "5 seasons". 

Excuse me for asking.... but other than winter, spring, summer and autumn, is there one we don't know about yet John?

BPTI4.jpg

What's up with those light green fields? The color looks odd and the texture doesn't look right. Mind you... I've visited Germany several times.

That is a very small compensation to us custmers while we have to wait!!! :-[

Are you for real? You feel the need to be compensated by the company that is actually taking the time to deliver quality? Shame on you.

Thanks. Take 2 months extra for all I care, quality is the only thing that's important to me, the excellent quality that I've seen so far of this product.  And please, don't rush Eastern Europe, I want the same quality everywhere and not just in the countries were most customers come from.

That's now the second time that I noticed on this forum that you talk about "5 seasons". 

Excuse me for asking.... but other then winter, spring, summer and fall, is there one we don't know about yet John?

The 5th season is "Hard Winter", its just a seasonal variation that is used to show complete snow cover/frozen lakes.

Archived