openLC EU delay - and why

@ zamb: The light green/yellow textures are rapeseed fields ("Raps" in German), they are very common in Germany at this time of the year. You can also find them in the UK, the Netherlands...

This is really the way things look like around here.

Cheers, Alex

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's up with those light green fields? The color looks odd and the texture doesn't look right. Mind you... I've visited Germany several times.

Then you must have been here in the wrong time! It looks in real exactly like shown...... maybe not so many but VERY typical in Germany!!

Hi Mas,

Those yellow fields seen in UK and Europe this time of year are Rape Seed flowers, very bright, in bloom, but smell dreadful, then the plants are later sprayed off, and then the seeds are harvested in late July, into August

Cheers,

Thx! We call them "mustard flowers" here - they sure make the earth look beautiful from the sky;-)

Mas

Yes...GOOD CALL CEO! ::)

As is already evident, couldn't have made a better call!

I personally really couldn't ask for any more than that wonderful, confident and sheer inspiring statement. ::)

All those months ago, when the envisagement of the FTX Global brainchild was first announced to the world of flight simulation last year, I could not really know how much I now feel confident and well-justified that this really is fast evolving into just the quality project I had imagined in my mind and thus committed to put my investment fully into. In that short space of time, we have all come so far together and boy, more than ever, do I support this magnificent endeavour that the recent jaw-dropping Open LC screenshots display with such unbelievable attention to quality and local detail (whether it be in local autogen, local textures, accurately placed and beautifully blended local landclass).

If we are all enjoying just the Base & Vector products already, I can only imagine the sheer ecstasy to be experienced if this is the way the whole world will look with all its Open LC products. Orbx team...Hold the course...you are really adding true icing to this global cake...and for the results we are seeing, I am actually surprised at the speed with which such inspiring magical vistas are being created. As most above say...I too am only too glad to wait for just the product you describe here. As most, I too would much prefer such a quality, well-performing and truly transformational difference to a world we have never known and never flown. As someone said...especially in Africa, Asia and South America...the transformation will be shocking and surely jaw-dropping.

If this is what every OpenLC product will add to the global jigsaw and, as someone above also said, wanting each area/Continent  to carry this same uniform level of detailed localised quality, I too already vow to purchase each and every Open LC release. Would be mad not to. Having seen what Open LC looks like in parts of Europe already, I'm sure many of us have really been teased and inspired to explore parts of the continent we may have not flown too much of...Each time I see a new country...I want to go fly it in an Open LC world. So if this is the case for the first continent alone...I'm sure it'll have the same effect when each of the subsequent Open LC products adds to the Global jigsaw. What effect? An overwhelming sense of curiosity of what lies around the corner if I fly a little further from my usual stomping grounds. The Orbx Open LC world will be the only way to go (in addition to regions and region and global airports, of course)... I personally would be totally willing to pay a small premium for the same difference in Africa, the 2 Asia products and South America to be improved to this quality so the whole Global project can be a complete and truly game-changing and satisfying success in the world of flight simulation...perhaps the biggest contribution ever made.

Team...you are truly talented and totally appreciated. This work is nothing short of unbelievable and I'm sure I can speak for most of the many members, supporters and customers of this visionary and massive project, when I say we are all in awe and inspiration by your beautiful, beautiful creations and truly thankful for this level of commitment that we had always hoped for. It really surpasses all expectation of what you are able to do...and we are all truly and sincerely extremely grateful. Keep up the exceptional work! You deserve only the best with it. And you carry a lot of us with you, behind you and thanking you most graciously for your perfect decisions outlined and explained above.

I simply look forward to following the previews as they become available...and in the mean time, as many have pointed out, we have many fantastic regions to enjoy. ::)

We couldn't want any more in OpenLC than we're going to get. I can't even imagine the world with POIs a couple of years or so down the line. Open LC is just huge and anyone not eventually owning each of these award-deserving add-ons can only miss out on some truly exhilarating flying experiences throughout a simulated world never ever experienced in Flight simulation... a world full of magical vistas, with ambience inspiring emotion, with character created with passion, inspiring 'out of this world'-level experiences for years to come. ::). Cheesy descriptions, perhaps, but would anyone give it a miss? Its only them who'd miss out, and not even know how much so.

Oh Wow! ::) ::)::)

Thanking you kindly and humbly to the entire amazing Orbx team, a work of Art we could never have imagined until now...

Sid 

THX for the info, I can really wait for another some months for OpenLC Europe to be released, not doubt. But according to the long term plans of FTX, I really start to have my doubts about having a full world coverage ever... Why? Because look at the delays. A while ago, the roadmap was that until end 2013, all of the OpenLC packs will be released (worldwide coverage!). If all packs go like the Europe one, it won't be anything near 2015 but maybe 2016 or even 2017 until all packs are finished. And who knows if by then, people still use FSX or P3D and for sure, what looks brilliant in 2014 now, will be completely outdated by then. Or, if it is continuously improved, what I think FTX will do, then the OpenLC Europe pack released in 2014 will look completely outdated compared to the ones released in 2016 or 2017. So, in my personal opinion, FTX went over the line here, the full world coverage projects are simply to big for FTX to cope with. Already the tons of minor bugs and updates for FTX Global and FTX Vector point in this direction, the delay of FTX OpenLC Europe is simply the consequence of this. I really really hope that all this will not be cancelled suddenly in the middle of a process leaving us with some OpenLC regions and some last patches of FTX Vector and FTX Global, but that they can really finish all those projects. If it helps, I can already assure that I will buy all of the OpenLC products as soon as available to keep you guys going!

You're incorrect. Please show me where we promised worldwide openLC packs to be delivered by the end of 2013? I think you have read something incorrectly for sure. The plan was always going to be a 2-3 year rollout, not sure where you got another impression from.

THX for the info, I can really wait for another some months for OpenLC Europe to be released, not doubt. But according to the long term plans of FTX, I really start to have my doubts about having a full world coverage ever... Why? Because look at the delays. A while ago, the roadmap was that until end 2013, all of the OpenLC packs will be released (worldwide coverage!). If all packs go like the Europe one, it won't be anything near 2015 but maybe 2016 or even 2017 until all packs are finished. And who knows if by then, people still use FSX or P3D and for sure, what looks brilliant in 2014 now, will be completely outdated by then. Or, if it is continuously improved, what I think FTX will do, then the OpenLC Europe pack released in 2014 will look completely outdated compared to the ones released in 2016 or 2017. So, in my personal opinion, FTX went over the line here, the full world coverage projects are simply to big for FTX to cope with. Already the tons of minor bugs and updates for FTX Global and FTX Vector point in this direction, the delay of FTX OpenLC Europe is simply the consequence of this. I really really hope that all this will not be cancelled suddenly in the middle of a process leaving us with some OpenLC regions and some last patches of FTX Vector and FTX Global, but that they can really finish all those projects. If it helps, I can already assure that I will buy all of the OpenLC products as soon as available to keep you guys going!

Hi, mate,

Leaving aside your statement "A while Ago, the roadmap was que until end 2013 OpenLC all of the packs will be released (worldwide coverage!)", the rest of your considerations is quite reasonable. 

Personally, I like people with their own opinions based on facts and reasonable acts, as you exhibit - reasonable arguments! However, we will give credit to the JV because he is a person/vendor/developer committed to give us this systematic and wonderful world for the practice of simulation. 

If he fails, and I do not want this to happen - and by your words, I see that you also do not want it, nothing (on the market) will be as systematic and visually pleasing for the users in the world sceneries simulation for aviation! IMHO!

Best regards,

Thanks for the info, John. No problem to wait for an awesome and well finished product. Especially in my home region, near Mt. Zugspitze in the Bavarian Alps, I discovered many misplaced textures and objects with FTX Global and FTX Global Vector alone. So I see fields on steep mountain slopes here and there, green grass on actually rocky mountains, trees in too high altitudes and a complete settlement on top of a mountain called "Wank" near Garmisch-Partenkirchen. In reality there is only a cable car station, a guesthouse and a small station for climate measuring. ::)

A good landclass product to make it complete is really needed and will surely be worth it to buy. Mt. Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak, is a famous POI, but the summit still looks like 150 years before, completely natural and not with all the buildings and bustle we find there today (cable cars from Bavaria and Tyrol and the railway "Bayerische Zugspitzbahn", a huge ski resort in winter). I don't know if somewhere a scenery for Mt. Zugspitze exists, but I think it would be worth to develop it, maybe in a later patch. I use Pilot's FS Global Ultimate mesh for the whole world, so I think my sim-globe should be largely complete as soon as the landclass products get released. For sure I will buy every new FTX regional product that will appear.

@AnkH: I don,t fear the products of 2014 are completely outdated in 2017. They all get patched time by time. Maybe we have already a 64bit P3Dv4 then and the number of FSX-users has fallen sharply, but I don't think another completely new sim technology will appear on the market and blow away all these great developments of very talented people we have got for FSX and now P3D over all the past years. So patiently I'm looking forward to a "New Sim World Order" coming time by time - would love to fly over a "realistic" Himalaya one day or the Serengeti with "Great Migration Animal Flow"... keep in on guys!!! ::)

Chris

Maybe it has been annouced already and i missed it, i hope i´m allowed to ask again:

Will the Canarian Islands be part of the EU or the African LC? It´s not that clear, political they are part of Spain, so EU.

But geografical and climatical they are located next to Africa, which s the reason, why we spend our holidays there :D.

Any answers?

You're incorrect. Please show me where we promised worldwide openLC packs to be delivered by the end of 2013? I think you have read something incorrectly for sure. The plan was always going to be a 2-3 year rollout, not sure where you got another impression from.

Back in 2013 you did exactly this:

Ok as we approach the middle of 2013 it's time to give you all an insight on what products we're planning to release over the next six months. As with all of these announcements, nothing is set in stone until these projects are in beta. In other words, things may (and do) change. Orbx is a small business with a big company heart, but we always adapt and refine our strategy based on what's selling well, what's profitable, what customers are saying and the resources inside the company.

That disclaimer over, here is the roadmap (all dates are *targets*, not actual committed release dates ):

December 2013

FTX EU IRL Ireland Region

NZAA Auckland Intl for NZNI

FTX Global openLC worldwide coverage (we may release various openLC regions of the world beforehand though)

Other FTX Global addons, airports etc.

That's quite a list, some projects will shift up or down a month or two and there are other projects planned or in gestation we can't talk about just yet, but they might pop into this list so I'll update it regularly. Always refer back to this pinned topic to get updates on the roadmap.

I hope there's enough there for most people's tastes and needs.

I have seen your current roadmaps with adjusted timetables now, I am sorry that I did rely my post on such an old one...

I had a feeling this was going to take longer since it's such a massive and diverse area, but as I said before the delay is worth it for quality we see. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop. :)

Notice that several "newbies" (based on low post counts) just haven't grasped the "from the very begining" philosophy of ORBX that it will be "be released when its ready" don't ask.  Perhaps a nice scrolling banner with the message for a few days every 2-3 months might help John.

Thanks a lot for keeping us informed.  I'm thoroughly impressed with the screenshots you've shown so far and can't wait to see more.

Although I've been somewhat critical of the release postponements, I'm glad that you've decided to go that extra mile(or several!) and create more custom textures to make Europe look more realistic and provide the "feel" that you mentioned when flying over different areas.

I'm happy to wait a little longer for something so fantastic.

Thanks.

Hello,
thanks for the information regarding LCEuropa.
Maybe you can also remember that Europe, unlike
is the rest of the world at one point different:
While in the U.S. everywhere standing around the water towers, and that is also implemented,
missing in the rest of the world that:
Each "Kaff" (village, town town ...) in Europe has its own church.
Of these, one sees the whole FSX nothing. Can not you bring churches in the cities?
That would be a real real scenery appreciation for us Europeans.
Even if it does not exist until now, it does not mean that it would not be feasible.
I ask the Orbxteam, think about it!
Thanks in advance, and good luck at the scene work!
Thomas
(translated with google)

The 5th season is "Hard Winter", its just a seasonal variation that is used to show complete snow cover/frozen lakes.

When talking about "Hard Winter" please keep in mind that even in southern Bavaria since years, "Hard Winter" is vary rare in areas below 1000m (3000ft). Just remembering all the frozen lakes coming with FTX Vector and being so unreal. :rolleyes:

Looks like Open LC Europe is coming along fabulously - One little question and apologies if it has already been asked.

Is the Whole of Cyprus included in this upcoming release?

Thanks and keep up the great work - Hope you have "Sturdy" servers on release day as I think they are going to take a hell of a bashing!

Hello,

thanks for the information regarding LCEuropa.

Maybe you can also remember that Europe, unlike

is the rest of the world at one point different:

While in the U.S. everywhere standing around the water towers, and that is also implemented,

missing in the rest of the world that:

Each "Kaff" (village, town town ...) in Europe has its own church.

Of these, one sees the whole FSX nothing. Can not you bring churches in the cities?

That would be a real real scenery appreciation for us Europeans.

Even if it does not exist until now, it does not mean that it would not be feasible.

I ask the Orbxteam, think about it!

Thanks in advance, and good luck at the scene work!

Thomas

(translated with google)

Indeed, churches would give a new dimension of reality to Europe!

The Problem might be that there are so many different typs of churches in Germany/Austria/France/Spain/Italy/... I think Orby would need fifty different models for Germany alone. So it might be too much to ask for... But: We will see: Orby is famous for pushing the envelop! :)

No there won't be villages and churches in openLC EU. As we have previously explained this is a 1km x 1km resolution landclass product so in many cases your home village may even not be represented or in the incorrect position if it is <1km in size. There may may be some churches included as generic village landclass autogen, but those would be randomly positioned.

For openLC v2 due in 2016/17 we intend to add vector polygon landclass shapes for villages and also add many POIs.

J.V. said:

No there won't be villages and churches in openLC EU. As we have previously explained this is a 1km x 1km resolution landclass product so in many cases your home village may even not be represented or in the incorrect position if it is <1km in size. There may may be some churches included as generic village landclass autogen, but those would be randomly positioned.

For openLC v2 due in 2016/17 we intend to add vector polygon landclass shapes for villages and also add many POIs.          

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because of this you get my 2 thumbs up. That is what we want. Ohhh thats one of the greatest news for me to hear that you Keep up this great Addon. Really good plan. Keep it up, we Need this litle villages !!!!!

Thanks for your hard work !

There is an old expression, at least in the US: Work smarter not faster. Thanks for doing that!

Just a thought, but isn't it interesting that so often we are satisfied to make the time to go back and correct things (usually a result of working fast) rather than take the time to do them right the first time? So, again, thanks for caring enough to want to give the community the best quality possible.

Archived