Orbx expansion plans and roadmap May 2012

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, I just want to add my good wishes to all those already posted here, and also to say what a fantastic product ORBX. I've been a flight sim fan for many years now, from floppy disks to FSX! But I have to say that until I invested in my first ORBX scenery - PNW - I never really felt I was "there" when flying vfr...I do now! I now have PNW, PFJ, NRM, CRM, and Tongass...ca't wait for SAK, Stewart and all the others you mention in your Road Map (I was hoping you'd mention Lake Clark National Park as the next Alaska offering - is it on the cards?)

My only problem now is...at the ripe old (young?) age of 70 next month are there enough years now to vfr the whole of ORBX North America?

I'll be trying!

Don

40 TB in data -- thats 40 000 gb, or 40960000 MB.

Assume each purchase order download is around ~ 500 MB. That means there was about 81,920 individual sales over that one month period.

Assume each sale was around ~ $20.00 , that means Orbx made about $1,638,400 during that period of time if my math is right. Not too bad :)

Disappointed they are not doing the Gold Coast, but at least we have Canberra and Rockhampton to look forward to. :)

I hope you know you've ruined my flight simming...by filling up my HD! I now have to migrate my FSX to a new HD to handle the awesomeness, or just put P3D on a new HD and go from there.

My best wishes to you and your family and a big thanks to the entire Orbx team for making FSX so much more than I ever thought it would be.

. . . . . . Orbx made about $1,638,400 during that period of time if my math is right. Not too bad :)

Out of that JV has to cover all of his costs including paying the developers and setting up the UK office. Don't think there would be too much left, but hopefully, enough to keep developing for all of us.

Congrats! Keep up the OUTSTANDING work. FSX is still alive and well, thanks to ORBX.

I wholeheartedly agree with this! I only ever buy ORBX scenery products for FSX now and can't see me changing that because of the standard you guys set.

I remember reading a post from Holger way back when he decided to move to FTX, saying it was the future for flight scenery, and thought then "It will be about three years until these guys are producung the stuff i want to buy but it will be worth waiting for" so I did, and I was right, except it wasn'y quite three years - brilliant!!

And I am really looking forward to the UK stuff - nobody does scenery for Northern Ireland - the thought of the Mourne Mountains or the Causeway Coast done to ORBX standard is another one worth waiting for - don't stop till its all done you guys!!

Thank You very much for this most informative news here JV!

All my best wishes and all the strength necessary to You and Your family!

And all my congratulations to all the people involved at the ORBX team worldwide and to all those who may be joining in there in the future ahead now!

Keep on with Your great and outstanding work and keep on pushing the envelope for flightsimming further and further as far as possible and beyond!

... And in between I am looking forward to purchase Your latest releases as soon as they will be available!

All the very best to You and happy flying!

Christoph

Hi all

I live inbetween both Goodwood and Shoreham. Having only recently come across you guys and the incredible scenery you produce I'm massively looking forward to the UK region and specifically the Goodwood and Shoreham airports being done. Especially if it is in as much detail as I've seen from other airports you've already produced.

Dave

Thanks John for your long and detailed post. I wish you and your family a lot of health and happiness. I also want to congratulate you and your team for making ORBX THE best flight simulation add-on company in the whole planet. No wonder you are soaring to new heights. John, I'm very glad as well you are planning into making Europe's continent into an FTX wonderland!

Kudos goes to Jay Kae as well for keeping the files and the forums go smooth as silk...(is that THAI-ing) :D

In my hard drive I have 29,3 GB (31.502.299.162 bytes) of Orbx bliss, all uncompressed install files of your payware and freeware stuff. In other words, my ORBX folder in my external hard drives is the biggest one I have as I save everything by companies.

All the best and hope to see you give us updates every now and then.

Happy landings!

Andrew

Hi,

I am very excited about the release of ORBX for England to start...

One question...Have you been in contact with Gary Summons of UK2000 fame as he makes wonderfull airports for the UK and it would be a great shame to see you two in direct competition,maybe you can harness/utilise his development skills..Even bring him on to the team.

Dave

JV - its been great since day one and I look forward to being able to fly all over the globe with Orbx under my wings. I think I am going to need more sig space for all the serial numbers!!

Cant say I have ever purchased any of your products, but have seen plenty of videos showing off its quality.

But I was wondering about a few points. Perhaps current owners of OrbX products maybe able to enlighten me on.

Is the autogen just that, or is the placement for the autogen as real as it gets? When OrbX UK is released, would I be able to pin point the houses where I have lived, or is it all generic based on town sizes?

For the Devs, in your roadmap you state that England (EU-Region) will be released, but as I currently reside very close to the welsh border, will wales be released on the same day as England?

Is the autogen just that, or is the placement for the autogen as real as it gets? When OrbX UK is released, would I be able to pin point the houses where I have lived, or is it all generic based on town sizes?

All regions are landclass based, realistic tiles with autogen representing real world areas. It's not the same as photoreal overlays but it provides a close approximation without the enormous size of photoreal coverage.

Thanks for the heads up on what Orbx has in store for us. FSX without Orbx would be unthinkable & looking at the way scenery has improved from the days of the early releases (which were & still are great) to the latest NZ South Is. the future is truely bright.

Congratulations to ALL at Orbx & you John in particular for having the vision. Thanks!

Good to know that the flight sim family is in good hands. Thanks again John for your leadership regarding technological innovations that we all benefit from.

Kudos and appreciation for the ORBX team.

jja

Thanks for all your (and the teams) hard work John. You have improved the FS experience exponentially. It's almost unbelievable what you have all achieved. I always look forward to your new regions.

I wish you and you family all the best for the future.

And the team dominance of the FS world. ;)

Very much looking forward to EUR-ENG and NZ-NI 8) Given the coverage that the UK has already received from various developers, it'll be good to see Orbx set a new benchmark, as indeed it has in every other region it has touched. Flying from ES Scillies to FTX EUR-ENG would be a delight so I'm hoping you might work with Earth Simulations to ensure compatibility?

Anyway - best of luck with all the projects, and John - obviously best of luck with the family health issues - I hope they are resolved soon.

Been away for a coupla months and just catching up with everything - quite a task.

Congrats to you JV and the whole team for the success of this venture - our hobby has never been so stimulating. Your continued success is assured with products of the quality that orbx delivers.

Best wishes and cheers to you all.

Cant say I have ever purchased any of your products, but have seen plenty of videos showing off its quality.

But I was wondering about a few points. Perhaps current owners of OrbX products maybe able to enlighten me on.

For the Devs, in your roadmap you state that England (EU-Region) will be released, but as I currently reside very close to the welsh border, will wales be released on the same day as England?

just to comment on autogen: one of things I really like about Orbx is the attention to placement of autogen. Its not just tress and buildings sprinkled about over an area, its trees and buildings carefully placed so that they look like they belong. It may not be "every tree and building exactly where it is in real life" but if you dont know the area extremely well then you might sometimes think it is. Just look at the screenshots and videos. theres no shortage of those. and also, the addon airports appear to me to be an extremely close representation of reality so if you lived near one of those, you probably would see your house there.

and you cant beat the detailed water cutouts that really add a lot to the product.

Thanks for the update John, I'm very much looking forward to FTX England and especially your rendition of Goodwood/Westhampnet. I spent 2 years working in Chichester in the early noughties and was fortunate enough to involved (as a volunteer) at Goodwood for the Revival and Festival of Speed events. Happy memories there and I strongly recommend to you/family/team members to get to one or both of these events if you can !

Hi Thanks for update on uk and I wish you and your family well

Its great to fly ORBX in AUS USA and soon in My land the UK

Once again a big thanks to you and the team and also to the guys who write on the forum walls

Regards Mike Greenaway

Thanks for the update John. As a UK based customer, I'm really looking forward to the EU-xxx releases for the UK, particularly Scotland and Wales. I note that you're planning England this year with some airports/airfields on the back of it but what are the follow up plans for Scotland and Wales?

Archived