This Week's Meaningless Topic (#197)(June 12)

Hi all. Microsoft just announced that it will release MSFS 2024 on November 19. I suspect that most users of version 2020 will give the new version some time before buying but will eventually switch. Microsoft says the new scenery set will use several real-world sources for a foundation and will be realistic worldwide, and that's a big wow for me. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  If you plan to buy MSFS 2024, what improvements do you hope to see in it?

• Like 6

That is an instant buy for me, I just gotta have the newest right way I hate to wait, that's just the way I've always been. 😄 Any improvement is a good thing no matter how trivial. 😁

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

I just hope all my gillions of sceneries and aircraft will work with it.  

Is there a source for what improvements are being implemented?   Better ATC would be nice.

The various YouTube channels centered on MSFS are still guessing. Seems like the only things certain so far are better worldwide scenery, improved flight models, enhanced career-building games, and numerous unnamed technical tweaks. Microsoft always holds stuff close to the vest, so we probably have to wait until it's out to see for sure. Until then, ah...

• Like 3

Leave me out until I can be convinced that all of my hardware will work with it without having to become a programmer or engineer.  I don't hold much hope for any in sim ATC to be worth much.  There are a couple of add on programs that are OK, but they have limitations too.  The best (IMHO) in VoxATC, Pilot2ATC is pretty good too.  But you have to say your requests and responses just right. I know there are a couple out there just for MSFS, but i don't know them.   But nothing beats real live ATC as offered by PilotEdge, if you fly, or are willing to fly, the western third of the US. 

By the way, SimVenture is coming next month.  Fly the Fisk or War bird arrival into Oshkosh with AirVenture controllers.  More on this later.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gumbypickett said:

No MSFS for me as yet.

I'm still waiting for P3d to release 

YMML v5 and v6.

cheers

Gumby

I wholeheartedly agree, Gumby.  I'm not so much interested in Australia scenery, but I'm in full sympathy.  I have a wishlist of US scenery I'd love from Orbx, but I doubt I'll ever see it.  If they start doing xi plane scenery I may go that route but I'm not intending to go MSFS.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I finally made it into MSFS 2020 after three tries. I dislike the complexity of the settings system, and the planes can be very squirrelly, but most of the scenery is great -- especially the Orbx bush strips and regional airports. If I want to just enjoy a flight, I still prefer my P3D4. It's easy, stable, and the planes work with me. As for 2024, if the scenery is as good as promised, I'm definitely interested. I just hope it's easier to use.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I will almost certainly update to it, probably after a couple of months and all the shouting is over. I think that 2024 is a rebuild from the ground up sorting some issues that were difficult or impossible with 2020 version and also including a bunch of popular wishes and some that will be unpopular that we don't know about. I suspect it will have more game features but not necessarily diminshing the simulator.

To me, it's like buying a new car (or something similar), the old one works fine so you don't need to change but sometimes you see new features that are a benefit to you and just decide to update, other times you get so brassed off with the old model you think I can't wait to get rid of it. Then there are those who always want the latest just because it is the latest and others who are happy with their old chevy (thats a Holden to me or a Leyland if you are in the UK) and stick with it.

Good luck to whatever you decide and always remember Rumsfeld's Logic of Known Knowns, Known Unknowns and Unknown Unknowns, because it is after all, Microsoft / Asobo.......

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

As I have stated here some times, I switch between the simulator worlds:

- MSFS for VFR and watching the great scenery (mostly default or freeware, if I do not know these places better than MSFS shows it).

- p3dv4 for IFR and using complex planes (so to say 777, 787, 320 or Q8-400). The combination of payware airports, detailed planes and a good ATC (I use Pro-ATC/X), which covers SIDs/STARs and the AI traffic is very rewarding to me.

And that brings me to my wishlist for

- a new MSFS: Should have such a reliable ATC, should get complex planes

- a new p3d: should have such great scenery as MSFS has - the rest is already perfect.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

- a new p3d: should have such great scenery as MSFS has - the rest is already perfect.

You've got a strong second from me, Gerold. If P3D could match the MSFS scenery quality, I'd never look back. But that MSFS scenery -- so nice!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

great topic.....for me the plan is to wait until I get the new PC at some point next year, anytime after March I think.....however I may not be able to wait but we'll see if I have any will power...ATC is poor in all 3 sims I use, however I am happier to have FSHUD in 2 of them....

they have stated just last weekend that all sceneries and planes should be fully compatible but until 3PD get there hands on the sim we won't know for sure..

I still say though that it's such a great time to be a flight simmer, the choice of sims, products and sheer volume of stuff being released is amazing...

for me I will be hoping for faster loading times and with a new PC the ability to up the settings a bit, if they can give me that I'll be happy, I'm not a pilot so I can't comment on if a plane flies how it should but if I get more flights where I maybe have a challenge in the weather and I have a big smile on my face that's great, that's what hobbies are supposed to do.....

one thing I have not read is if it will have 3 versions like 2020? if so I will go for the top one as last time I bought basic and then upgraded.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Because I have standard 2024 on games pass - I assume my 2024 will be automatically renewed - but maybe I will pay for it this time:rolleyes:

However - what I haven't seen yet - is what will happen to the additional 2 extra super additions that we have paid for.

Can one assume that they will automatically be upgraded at no charge - or will we have to pay again to gain any advantage

that may be made to those additional aircraft and improved scenery that are in the 2 addon series?.

If that is the case - then I will not upgrade at the earliest because - so far - I see little difference with the new one - since I am not interested

in the seeming "Gaming" additions to 2020

There is another factor - of course - if they have updated the Bing map use so that my Gold Coast is 2024 and not 2013 as at present

then - yes! - I will get out the plastic - in November👍:D

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Because I have standard 2024 on games pass - I assume my 2024 will be automatically renewed - but maybe I will pay for it this time:rolleyes:

However - what I haven't seen yet - is what will happen to the additional 2 extra super additions that we have paid for.

This remains to be seen - but an early guess is that would have to repurchase the 2 extra deluxe add ons,

I may consider - even though have Game Pass Ultimate - purchasing a Full Deluxe licence - this would include the base MSFS 2024 - the Full version has less hassles down the track,

This MSFS 2024 Full Deluxe purchased from Microsoft - not Steam - would be used on both my PC & Xbox Series X,

Using Steam MSFS 2020 for PC has meant that I’ve had to purchase quite a few add ons twice which is very expensive & frustrating…

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

To answer Rodge's original question, my one improvement would be loading time at first launch. I suspect my bloated Community folder may be a culprit for slowing the process but if there is still a Community folder it would be nice to merge it some how. I'm IT stupid so probably pie in the sky stuff :)

Edited by boetie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, boetie said:

I suspect my bloated Community folder may be a culprit for slowing the process but if there is still a Community folder it would be nice to merge it some how.

Graeme, did you ever check that tool here: https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker 

It is my way to start MSFS with just a minimum of active add-ons in the community folder.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I finally made it into MSFS 2020 after three tries. I dislike the complexity of the settings system, and the planes can be very squirrelly, but most of the scenery is great -- especially the Orbx bush strips and regional airports. If I want to just enjoy a flight, I still prefer my P3D4. It's easy, stable, and the planes work with me. As for 2024, if the scenery is as good as promised, I'm definitely interested. I just hope it's easier to use.

I also use P3D4 because it works well and few problems. I have thought about MSFS 2020 but haven't tried it yet so will probably wait until MSFS 24 is available and may give it a try depending on reviews.

Larry

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Graeme, did you ever check that tool here: https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker 

It is my way to start MSFS with just a minimum of active add-ons in the community folder.

Thanks Gerold, I have used it for a few years now but typical me I don't utilise it's features. Do you notice a difference in load times when you disable scenery not required?

Cheers 

Graeme :)

• Upvote 1

I will give it ago once the dust has settled abit I hope for quicker load times and that everything works in the new version the same as 2020.

I will put it on a spare drive I have but still keep 2020 on another drive.

cheers 

Iain 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

yeah the more I think about it the main interest for me is loading times, I will get it though from MS Store but may try initially on the XBOX until I buy the new PC next year, keeping 2020 on the old PC until then, if there's any teething issues I will still have 2020 to get my fix...

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2024 at 11:29 AM, boetie said:

Thanks Gerold, I have used it for a few years now but typical me I don't utilise it's features. Do you notice a difference in load times when you disable scenery not required?

Cheers 

Graeme :)

I´ll give it a try. In a scientific program: First start MSFS to adjust any potential updates for the day. Then make 3 starts with full add-on enableling. Then 3 starts with customized shortlist.

But first I fly!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1