When Was Your First Plane Ride And On What

Mine was on 1961 going to Chicago on a TWA Super Connie.

Ladies and gentlemen, do not be alarmed by the fire coming out of the engines--unless it goes out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

• adambar changed the title to When Was Your First Plane Ride And On What
Posted (edited)

Mine wss from LaGuardia to Omaha in a DC 3.  Return, and a couple of years later round trip  Chicago in a DC 6.  About 1953 and 1955.  Little.kid and his Mom visiting the paternal grandfather.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 6

1966 in the DH 83 Fox Moth from on the beach at Southport Lancashire UK

cost was $A2 equivalent for 15 mins circuit of the town.

1st commercial Flight - BEA Viscount - Manchester Ringway to Glasgow1969 and return

Screenshot 2023-06-09 231156 (2).jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Don't remember the year, I was a wee chap but know it was in the early 70's, pretty sure 1972. It was a B727 Salisbury to Johannesburg South African Airways followed by a B747 Jo'burg to London Heathrow. The one thing that sticks in my mind is entering the 727 via the rear steps :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, boetie said:

Don't remember the year, I was a wee chap but know it was in the early 70's, pretty sure 1972. It was a B727 Salisbury to Johannesburg South African Airways followed by a B747 Jo'burg to London Heathrow. The one thing that sticks in my mind is entering the 727 via the rear steps :)

The 727 was my favorite airliner Graeme. I'll take the old commercial jets with all the noise and smoke anyday over the boring aircraft they have today. 😄

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Great question, Adam. My first plane rides were in a Cessna 172 with the local dentist, a family friend who loved to take my dad or me with him on rides. First commercial flight was on a 707 from San Francisco to Tokyo. I sang "Leavin' On a Jet Plane" all the way.

• Like 5

Barnstorming Ford Trimotor offering rides around Austin, Texas in about 1958. First time I got to handle the controls was a DC-3 flying from Houston to Oklahoma City when I was 12 years old. Both thrilling memories for me.

• Like 6

82 or 83, back of a Hercules into Gibraltar... didn't tell the rest of the troops it was my first flight though..

Some great posts above this one though..

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Wow!  Lucky guy Adam.  I sat in a Connie on the tarmac once at the Avalon Airshow.  What a classic it is.

I didn't have my first flight until 2009, funnily the same year I got FSX which was my first flight sim.  My first flight was a short hop from Melbourne to Adelaide in a Qantas 737, a trip I do once or twice a year now, although I do occasionally drive.  When I got to Aldinga, South Australia in 2009 I also had a joy flight in the Tigermoth, which was really cool.

nFCMTLx.jpeg

VkCeyID.jpeg

Anyone with the Carenado Waco YMF5 might also recognise this aircraft, also based at Aldinga

OMnyXeB.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, pilot100 said:

It was a stork, but I don't remember much about it as I wa only a baby......

Well, Brian, it was actually called a Fieseler Fi-156 Storch, made in Germany between 1937 and 1945. Fine little STOL plane perfectly suited for getting babies like yourself to wherever momma was. You must have fascinating dreams of pre-childhood. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Nah, wrong stork, mine was , so I'm told, white, had me in its bill and was self powered, ecologically sound - carbon neutral, and didn't need any landing space  integral piloting system. The one you mention was before my time so it couldn't be right, used petrol and needed a pilot too. 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

Wow!  Lucky guy Adam.  I sat in a Connie on the tarmac once at the Avalon Airshow.  What a classic it is.

I didn't have my first flight until 2009, funnily the same year I got FSX which was my first flight sim.  My first flight was a short hop from Melbourne to Adelaide in a Qantas 737, a trip I do once or twice a year now, although I do occasionally drive.  When I got to Aldinga, South Australia in 2009 I also had a joy flight in the Tigermoth, which was really cool.

nFCMTLx.jpeg

VkCeyID.jpeg

Anyone with the Carenado Waco YMF5 might also recognise this aircraft, also based at Aldinga

OMnyXeB.jpeg

That was the ride of a lifetime Scott nothing since has compared to it, the sound on takeoff was something else, never forget it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

nFCMTLx.jpeg

VkCeyID.jpeg

OMnyXeB.jpeg

would have made good photos for the  - Orbx airports visited in real life - a rolling story

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

B727, YMLT TO YMML Trans Australia Airlines.

I also entered through the rear end.

Ok I'm waiting for it.

cheers

Gumby

Wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole Gumby. 😄

• Haha 5

1980 on an El Al B707 from Munich to Tel Aviv. 

The security checks for this flight were incredible. Check in was in its own converted, heavily guarded hangar far away from the terminals. There was even a small tank (one of those with wheels) positioned outdide the hangar.

Within the hangar officers painstakingly checked every single passenger's item. They inspected every piece of clothing in the baggage, e.g. turned around every pair of socks, opened toothpaste caps, to check whats really inside. I had to make shots with my camera etc.There really was not one single item which was not inspected.

When we rolled to the TO runway, we ware accompanied by the small tank.

And I am pretty sure ,10 % of the passengers have been Mossad agents.

But in the end all this gave one a feeling of safety.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

It must have been a flight with my parents in a propeller plane from Bremen to some place in Bulgaria in 1971. I can not remember much more, but there must be a photo of the plane somewhere...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, John Heaton said:

would have made good photos for the  - Orbx airports visited in real life - a rolling story

Sadly I didn't have a camera John, I was on my way to bootcamp.

• Upvote 1