This Week's Meaningless Topic (#179)(Feb 9)

Hi all. My brother-in-law still meets up with old high school buddies several times a year, despite living far from them. A doctor I see does the same thing. That got me thinking. When I was in high school, I had four close friends with whom I worked and played. All are gone now. Just me left. No reunions possible. And that brings up this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Do you still have active friendships with pals from high school?

• Like 6

Not to be picky but its still the 8th Feb in Australia and Washington is 17 hours behind us. We've had this conversation before I think 🙂

Anyway the answer to your question is no, left school and never looked back. 

Brian

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, pilot100 said:

Not to be picky but its still the 8th Feb in Australia and Washington is 17 hours behind us. We've had this conversation before I think 🙂

Anyway the answer to your question is no, left school and never looked back. 

Brian

Thanks for bringing this up, Brian. I used to post each week's new topic on Fridays. That kind of drifted to Thursdays, and now I do it on Wednesday evenings. All along, I kept using that week's Friday to mark the release just because it kept the release dates a week apart.

QUESTION: do folks want me to use the actual date for each release? I'll do whatever works best for all participating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

no I don't meet up, I couldn't wait to leave school, after a spell in the military I moved back to the City I grew up in but by then we'd all gone our separate ways, I may see someone from time to time whilst out and about but never much more than a hello, I think we're probably all in different worlds and I was a pain for the last two years at school, they were probably glad when I left early if I'm honest....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Thanks for bringing this up, Brian. I used to post each week's new topic on Fridays. That kind of drifted to Thursdays, and now I do it on Wednesday evenings. All along, I kept using that week's Friday to mark the release just because it kept the release dates a week apart.

QUESTION: do folks want me to use the actual date for each release? I'll do whatever works best for all participating.

Continue what is best for you Rodger , I could care less on the time or date .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

In a word - no. Left my birth country when I was nearly 18. Funnily enough two of my school mates from Zimbabwe immigrated to the same city (Brisbane) in Oz within months of my family. We hung out for about a year then drifted apart. My mum who is in her 80's keeps me updated on them through Facebook which I do not subscribe to. Have not had any contact for 15+ years. I do enjoy it when I hear of lifelong mates who have experienced the highs and lows of each others lives. My brother in law being an example, some of his stories are worth publishing!

Edited by boetie
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 2/8/2024 at 5:34 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

I selfishly like it on my Friday wakeup Rodger, ie wait a few more hours until the east coast of Oz is asleep. It's a signal that my working week is coming to an end and only 8 or so hours before my Friday night beverage after work. You did ask?! :)

Edited by boetie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

In one word: no.  I had a few close friends in H.S.  One I outgrew in the years I was i college.  Another was a couple, Larry and Paula.  We were  friends in HS and remained so after I went to college Larry went into the Army, then married Paula.  But Larry died young a few years later.  I still have occasional contact with Paula.

My one enduring friendship from my youth was a Navy buddy, Tom.  A couple of years ago he was living in Indianapolis when I got a call from the city coroner that he had been found dead in his bed by the landlord. A shock!

BTW, just got home from the hospital last night after knee replacement surgery.  So far so good.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hello Rodger,

here in the UK, we have a different education system to yours.
I went to three schools, one from the age of five to seven, the next from seven to twelve and the third from twelve to seventeen.
After that, I went to a polytechnic college from the age of eighteen to twenty.
Then I went to work.

From all four, I have only four friends that I am still in touch with, one who I have known since we were 14 or so years old.
He was kind enough to be my best man at my second wedding and remains one of my tiny number of best friends.
Another other is a friend from college, I have known her since we were both 19 or so years old.
She was my oldest daughter's godmother and we meet for a meal very occasionally.
The other two are married to each other, having met at college all those years ago.
They are my youngest daughter's godparents and we don't see them often enough.
I expect that as we grow up and change directions many times, we all tend to go our separate ways, at least, that is what happened to me.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

On 2/9/2024 at 10:53 AM, Stillwater said:

All the best for a good recovery, Ken!

On 2/9/2024 at 11:30 AM, wain71 said:

I 2nd that.....

Thank you very much, Gentlemen.  I had the left knee done four years ago, but this was delayed by the pandemic.  Finally done, and now I seem to be recovering well.  Thanks again.

Ken

• Like 3

Don't really keep in touch with anyone from school everybody seemed to go thier own ways I worked with a few lads on nuclear submarines in the past and one lad I see now and again he owns a scrap recovery firm and has done well

I went out with a girl from school years after leaving but it didn’t work out too much water gone under the bridge shall we say.

Now we are all of retirement age I see some of the lads at various doctors and hospitals appointment but that's about it.

cheers 

Iain 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1