This Week's Meaningless Topic (#159)(Sept 22)

Hi all. My wife and I were married at the start of our first year of seminary. Our first home was a one-room student apartment on campus. We had a card table and folding chairs, a mattress on the floor, two TV tables, and a thirteen-inch TV. Oddly enough, it is still one of my favorite memories of places we've lived. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What house or apartment tops your list of favorite places you've lived in?

• Like 6

There are moments in life that are unforgettable and some times we don't notice their importance or specialty until time has passed and they are very far away. But when you bring them back to your mind, wow, how they light up one's face and make one smile and feel happy, nostalgic and/or so many other emotions in a fraction of a minute.

Edited by carlosqr
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Must admit I've not had that many residences in my time.

Some interesting (and admittedly cheap) places as a student.

A one bedroom flat then a house that came with a job I had for 30 years.

So my answer must be where I am now. I'd never bothered with gardening before I moved there but now it's a major pleasure in my life.

P1080706.thumb.JPG.2e31aa7ef413b578fe70b1131ddb4549.JPG

All the best,

John

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, John Burgess said:

Must admit I've not had that many residences in my time.

Some interesting (and admittedly cheap) places as a student.

A one bedroom flat then a house that came with a job I had for 30 years.

So my answer must be where I am now. I'd never bothered with gardening before I moved there but now it's a major pleasure in my life.

P1080706.thumb.JPG.2e31aa7ef413b578fe70b1131ddb4549.JPG

All the best,

John

Wow, John. I can see why you are a happy guy there. Thanks for sharing the picture.

• Thanks 1

The family home I was raised in has the best memories.

I've lived in a couple of other places due to marriage. Those places

were nice unlike the marriage itself for most of it. But with divorce and life's

circumstances I find myself living back with my elderly parents where I was raised

looking after them now. 

Yes Iv'e returned to the nest but it's still the best place.:)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

When my wife and I were first married we lived in a dumpy apartment in San Francisco. One building, three apartments. We were in the middle. All I can say to describe the experience is hookers to the right and hookers to the left. On the first of the month there was no place to park within two blocks. That said, there were a couple of babes on the right that made me wish I was still single.....🙂

• Haha 7

Three homes come  to my mind.  One where I grew up in a valley across the bay from San Francisco. Best parents ever and a great neighborhood.  Mostly all WWII vets moved into a new subdivision next to a creek.  Easily 20 or so kids my age.  2nd home is where I raised my 3 kids and lived with my wonderful wife until I lost her after 39 yrs together.  3rd is where I am now with a new wife (also wonderful) and a garden almost as nice as John B's!  

image.thumb.jpeg.6e2ef854c458790c7189b63ddc46c540.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Three homes come  to my mind.  One where I grew up in a valley across the bay from San Francisco. Best parents ever and a great neighborhood.  Mostly all WWII vets moved into a new subdivision next to a creek.  Easily 20 or so kids my age.  2nd home is where I raised my 3 kids and lived with my wonderful wife until I lost her after 39 yrs together.  3rd is where I am now with a new wife (also wonderful) and a garden almost as nice as John B's!  

image.thumb.jpeg.6e2ef854c458790c7189b63ddc46c540.jpeg

Rob, I'm starting to think we need a topic about gardening. Really nice. Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

some wonderful stories and pictures there.... @John Burgess what a lovely colourful garden.... @Bluebear that's a really nice looking place... @Rob Abernathy another very nice garden, all I can grow is grass, and weeds... @John Heaton that looks like a working office, incredible space you had there...

in 1985 I met my now wife, 4 months later I went abroad with the Military for 4 years, when I left the Army we were given a small 2 bedroom ground floor flat, our neighbours upstairs were an elderly couple, we had 2 kids when we moved in both under two years old, we stayed there only for 6 years but my 2 youngest created some fantastic memories, we had no money, 2nd hand furniture and a car that kept breaking down but, it was a lovely place to come home to, and our neighbours treated our kids like their grandchildren, we kept in touch until they passed away.....it really showed me what was important in life.....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2023 at 4:23 PM, W2DR said:

is hookers to the right and hookers to the left

Why you lucky dawg. I lived beside a Nunnery:angry:. I noticed they always go out in pairs. Probably to ensure: "One Nun makes sure the other Nun gets none". Sorry guys I'm trying. Cheers and have a great Weekend. k:D 

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

Hard question to answer.  In my 75 years I've lived in or been joined at the hip to six residences, (plus a college oddity), all of which have meant a great deal to me.  Each is equally important, but each for very different reasons.

I'll pass the home on Westlake Court where I was born.  I hardly remember it, we moved out after my father died when I was two.  We moved to Grandma and Grandpa's.  This was a lovely, grand Georgian Colonial, a very elegant house.  Here I spent my early childhood, and had close ties through most of my twenties, until Grandma died.  I loved that house, and Grandma wanted me to have it after she died, but there was no way I could afford the taxes and maintenance.

In 1958 my Mom married Charlie, and after a brief apartment stay, we moved into a house in 1959.  This was the "family 'home'" until Mom died in 2011.  Decades of memories, growing up, going off to college, then the Navy, starting grad school, and so much more.

Of course College and Navy have a place, but I'll mention one "college home" in passing.  I lived in a small travel trailer on the edge of campus for several months.  Camping out!  Great fun!  Parties and barbecue, and living "in the woods!" (And trying to outwit the raccoons).

While still on my first tour of Active Duty I rented my first home, all my own, as an adult.  It was a four room apartment upstairs in a story and a half.  The house was built in the later 19th century.  When built it was in a row of similar houses on a country road. By the time I lived there it was on a main drag, the area was heavy commercial, light industry, and the house very run down.  But a first home of your own, as an adult, is a major milestone.  So in response to Rodgers question this is a candidate. I continued to live there for a couple of years after release from active duty while finishing m BA, interrupted by Naval service. I certainly spent a few very happy years here, and it figures in my flight SIM world today.  The address was 2442 Post Rd, and my tail number on my virtual Mooney is N2442P.

When I went to grad school I moved back to Mom's for a while (see above).  Then I got a little basement apartment.  I guess this one meets Rodgers criteria best.  This little place, friends called it the "Hobbit Hole," was our Anglo Saxon group's meeting

, and where one female fellow student went from being an acquaintance to becoming my wife.

Since then, in 45 years, we've had two happy homes.  The first was a rental, but a really lovely place.  We were there for 22 years.  Then we finally bought a house, and been here almost 23 years.

What makes Rodger's question so hard to answer is that each of these is a special favorite in it's own way, and so fully packed with memories, it's impossible to single one out.

And I confess, I'm real "home body."

Ken

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Thinking again on Rodger's question - I don't think that this would be the most memorable house -

but since it was my 88th birthday this week - a house that is not in my memory - but a major part of that

day back in 1935

Taken from Google - this is the house that I was born in back in 1935 where my parents were lodging with a relative.

38RossalCresc.thumb.jpg.1ed4186a1a50a4f4d4e67f51f6cf184b.jpg

It is what we described in the North of England as a semi-detached "council house" which is rented property owned by

the Local town Government - and which would have looked much different back then

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Thinking again on Rodger's question - I don't think that this would be the most memorable house -

but since it was my 88th birthday this week - a house that is not in my memory - but a major part of that

day back in 1935

Taken from Google - this is the house that I was born in back in 1935 where my parents were lodging with a relative.

38RossalCresc.thumb.jpg.1ed4186a1a50a4f4d4e67f51f6cf184b.jpg

It is what we described in the North of England as a semi-detached "council house" which is rented property owned by

the Local town Government - and which would have looked much different back then

That's amazing John that you can revisit it virtually in it's "present" incarnation. No doubt the years of different ownership have changed it from 88 yrs ago. Belated happy birthday old codger :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1