This Week's Meaningless Topic (#153)(August 11)

Hi all. Most of the countries represented here use peanut butter as a sandwich spread. Where we may differ is what we add to it on the sandwich. My family has always enjoyed peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. A friend's family likes peanut butter and banana. Online, I ran across a peanut butter and fish sandwich, which I cannot even imagine let alone stomach, but everyone to their own taste. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  You have the bread and you have the peanut butter. What else will you add to make your peanut butter+ sandwich?

Edited by Rodger Pettichord
missing word
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

No peanut butter sandwiches for us, either.  But we do use it as an ingredient in some dishes. One summertime favorite is a Chinese recipe,  "Hacked Chicken."  It is cold chicken, pulled apart, with a spicy sesame sauce. The sauce can be made with either sesame paste or with peanut butter and sesame oil.  We prefer the latter.

We also use it in Thai sates.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I got groceries delivered yesterday and part of the 

order was a new jar of peanut butter (smooth).

I'm down to the scrapings in the other jar.

It's only bought for my grandson to have on his toast

for brekky of a morning. 

Reading the top answers I'm turned off for life.🤮

cheers

Gumby

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Of course peanut butter is an American contrivance, seeing that peanuts (ground nuts, goober peas) are native to the New World.  Somehow, though, my English cousins, Morris and Bert, developed a fondness for the stuff as boys back in the late 20s.  Of course it was not available in the UK, but their father, my Uncle Bill worked on the liners.  So he was here visiting his brother (my Grandpa) every two weeks.  On every trip home he took one or more of the huge restaurant size jars with him for his boys and their friends.

Gumby's  post, plus the fact that it's become common in Asian cooking, proves that since then it has spread to the ends of the world.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, boetie said:

Long time no see John. Welcome back mate!

Thanks Graeme , I have been dealing with chronic back pain the last few years and at times it gets the best of me . 😪

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Thanks Graeme , I have been dealing with chronic back pain the last few years and at times it gets the best of me . 😪

Verry sorry to hear. But it's great that you are back! :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BradB said:

All the best John. We all do not get younger, and some unfortunate things come along with that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I, as a German, would add the following things to a (white) bread with peanut butter:

1. Remove the white bread.

2. Add a roll made of "full corn".

3. Remove the peanut butter.

4. Add real butter

5. Add Wurst or cheese, just as you like.

6. Have a beer as side dish, regardless the time of day.

Now we got it working.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, BradB said:

No peanut butter for me , not a fan . 🤨

yep good to see you, hope you are feeling better at some point.....

right, here we go, we're all friends her, aren't we?....so here's like an admission from me, I have never tried peanut butter, I'm like, sort of scared of it- I know weird eh?.... it's just that I find it really strange, so is it like butter that tastes of peanuts? my girls ate it but I always said I didn't like but just can't get the guts to try it, I know how stupid am I? I could be missing out...

Now give me a cheese and mayo sandwich, open it up and put some crisps (UK) into it, oh yeah no you're talking....

maybe one day I'll get the courage to try peanut butter.....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Oh no, my mistake. It must be Vegemite. Hope they see my correction when the get up...

Anyway Gerold, no matter if Vegemite or Marmite, both is delicious. :D

• Haha 2