Lightning flight

paulb

25 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

Stunning shots Paul.

I liked the fly past.:rolleyes:

cheers 

Gumby

Thank you Gumby. It's surprising how close the two airports are together :).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulb said:

Thank you Calum. I enjoy warbirds. I made a plastic model of the P-38 nearly 60 years ago! :rolleyes:

Oh really - that's brilliant.  I love a model aircraft myself but tended to collect the commercial airline versions.  Cheers,

Calum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Caluma65 said:

Oh really - that's brilliant.  I love a model aircraft myself but tended to collect the commercial airline versions.  Cheers,

Calum

Thanks Calum. My Dad (long passed away) started me off with the Airfix Spitfire and Lancaster about 1960!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BradB said:

Better luck next time Paul , those clear sky’s were not conducive to catch any lightning . :(:P:D

Thanks John. But I have yet to capture a decent lightning (weather) shot in MSFS! :o:D

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ikbenik said:

Fine shots...did you manage to fly through the Tower Bridge (should be happend between second last and last shot) ?

Thank you my friend :). Yes I did, it wasn't a problem. I just forgot to press the pause button as I was too focused on flying!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Love seeing the P-38 flying in your images Paul! Looks great flying down the Thames there in these :) 

Thanks Landon :). It's a nice machine to fly.

My first flight in MSFS down the Thames. Oddly, some of the buildings look like they bombed ruins?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, paulb said:

Oddly, some of the buildings look like they bombed ruins?

That is the Photogrammetry at work Paul. Trust me, the melted/bombed look of various buildings around the MSFS world gave me fits for a LONG time. Some people are okay with it and it doesn't bother them, others like me think the melted look takes away from the immersion. It is what it is with Photogrammetry. It's the same reason why there are bridges around that look like solid chunks all the way to the water. The good news is, for buildings, bridges and other landmarks, the melted look can be gotten rid of by making them custom objects. The bad news there of course is that that takes a ton of time and manpower. Certain areas of the world, London being one of them, seem to be harder hit by the Photogrammetry melted look. Further, in your MSFS settings, on the DATA section, you can turn OFF Photogrammetry, which gets rid of the melted buildings, and you just have autogen buildings instead. They don't look as custom as the Photogrammetry buildings that are NOT melted, but it is very good looking autogen (and you MIGHT gain a little better performance). The only way to know if you like it or not is to try it and see. I used to run with Photogrammetry OFF for a long time, but then the more I got into flying airliners in MSFS, the less I saw of the buildings so I turned it back on for the detailed buildings that aren't melted. Hope that explains it a bit for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

That is the Photogrammetry at work Paul. Trust me, the melted/bombed look of various buildings around the MSFS world gave me fits for a LONG time. Some people are okay with it and it doesn't bother them, others like me think the melted look takes away from the immersion. It is what it is with Photogrammetry. It's the same reason why there are bridges around that look like solid chunks all the way to the water. The good news is, for buildings, bridges and other landmarks, the melted look can be gotten rid of by making them custom objects. The bad news there of course is that that takes a ton of time and manpower. Certain areas of the world, London being one of them, seem to be harder hit by the Photogrammetry melted look. Further, in your MSFS settings, on the DATA section, you can turn OFF Photogrammetry, which gets rid of the melted buildings, and you just have autogen buildings instead. They don't look as custom as the Photogrammetry buildings that are NOT melted, but it is very good looking autogen (and you MIGHT gain a little better performance). The only way to know if you like it or not is to try it and see. I used to run with Photogrammetry OFF for a long time, but then the more I got into flying airliners in MSFS, the less I saw of the buildings so I turned it back on for the detailed buildings that aren't melted. Hope that explains it a bit for you.

Thank you Landon for providing an excellent explanation :).

I did not know that fact  and will certainly try the sim with the photogrammetry turned off. Then I can see what I lose in terms of graphics.  

It's the first time that it really stood out for me in the scenery seeing so many 'melted' buildings.

Interestingly, I did see the same effect in Washington DC, but to a much lesser extent. Perhaps DD did more work on adding autogen buildings?

• Like 1

Great shots Paul! :)

On 9/5/2022 at 9:45 PM, paulb said:

I did not know that fact  and will certainly try the sim with the photogrammetry turned off

And I agree with Landon, I have it off and it's better in big cities, also at Paris for example. I don't think the photogrammetry is so important,

good looking autogen buildings can do it.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, andiflyit said:

Great shots Paul! :)

And I agree with Landon, I have it off and it's better in big cities, also at Paris for example. I don't think the photogrammetry is so important,

good looking autogen buildings can do it.  

Thanks Andreas :). I might well turn it off for certain flights.

• Like 1