This Week's Meaningless Topic (#72) (Jan 22)

Hi all. In past entries, Forum participants have indicated that we like good food. We are also well-traveled and have encountered the street food of many nations. That brings us to this week's meaningless topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: Below are some good street foods. How many of them have you eaten? Are there others you would recommend?

A. SQUID ON A STICK (Japan) 

Premium Photo | Close up small grilled squid, japan food travel and  cuisine. small octopus on the sticks is a delicious traditional japanese  street snacks at seafood store of kyoto. fish market

B. Roasted Bamboo Rat (Laos)

Top 8 Reasons To Visit Luang Prabang, Laos Now

C. ROAST SNAKE (Viet Nam)

Vietnam Traditional Market - Vietnam Market Snake and Seafood - YouTube

D. SUYA MEAT (Nigeria)

Suya - Traditional West African Skewers | 196 flavors

E. FISH AND CHIPS (London)

LONDON FISH 'N CHIPS - 216 Photos & 236 Reviews - Fish & Chips - 18890  Hesperian Blvd, Hayward, CA - Restaurant Reviews - Phone Number - Menu

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Oh boy rats, hmmmm:wacko: I think I'd rather stay with fish'n chips for now. And of course icy cold beers:P :D

I'll stick with the fish'n chips too.  But years ago when I was stationed at the Naval Base in Naples Italy the sizeable Filipino community held a street fair on base.  Among the finger food offered was Lumpia (Filipino spring rolls).  Delicious.  I've had it frozen from the Commissary since, and it' s good, but not like the home made that I had then.

There was also a road side stand that served a wood fire roasted chicken (we called it "road kill.") Like nothing else I've ever had.

Then of course there's a " dirty water hot dog " I New York.

Ken

• Like 5

For those who haven't yet discovered Google -- "WHAT ARE NYC-STYLE DIRTY WATER DOGS? The expression 'dirty water dogs' refers to the hot dog pushcarts in New York City that cook the hotdogs in vats of water that looks 'dirty'. Many hot dogs are cooked in the same water, releasing their excess salt and fat making the water look 'dirty'."

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

For those who haven't yet discovered Google -- "WHAT ARE NYC-STYLE DIRTY WATER DOGS? The expression 'dirty water dogs' refers to the hot dog pushcarts in New York City that cook the hotdogs in vats of water that looks 'dirty'. Many hot dogs are cooked in the same water, releasing their excess salt and fat making the water look 'dirty'."

Right you are, Rodger.  The water looks like dishwater. Usually  Sabrettes brand, served on a soft bun with sauerkraut, onions and spicy brown mustard. Always as tasty as the are a dietary disaster.  My wife still counts it for righteousness!  She spent months working on her dissertation at the New York Public Library, and of course there are competing dirty hot dog carts all around. Fine, most of the time.  But sitting on the steps of the NYPL, munching on a tuna fish sandwich on Fridays in Lent, while smelling these luscious wares!  Righteousness!

Speaking of dietary discipline, years ago we attended  the Mediaeval Academy of America conference held at the Cloisters in NYC.  It happened to fall on a Friday in Lent.  About 1/3 of the attendees were Jewish (who do not eat pork).  Half were Roman Catholic or Episcopalian (who do not eat meat on Fridays in Lent).  Lunch was included: ham and cheese sandwiches.  Fortunately, they included wine.  Hungry, but nevertheless happy.

Ken

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ate some kind of crap in Taxco, Mexico and s@#% the bed the night before flying home. :unsure::(  my wife woke up and said WTH is that smell and decided to stick her head under the covers to get away from it. :lol:  I can't begin to tell you how fast she jumped out of bed. :D

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, adambar said:

Ate some kind of crap in Taxco, Mexico and s@#% the bed the night before flying home. :unsure::(  my wife woke up and said WTH is that smell and decided to stick her head under the covers to get away from it. :lol:  I can't begin to tell you how fast she jumped out of bed. :D

Nothing wrong with the old Dutch Oven Adam.

Although yours went the extra step.:lol::lol::lol:.

Which reminds me, I must change my sheets in April.:D

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

Nothing wrong with the old Dutch Oven Adam.

Although yours went the extra step.:lol::lol::lol:.

Which reminds me, I must change my sheets in April.:D

cheers

Gumby

:lol:  I guess you could say the old Dutch Ove boiled over. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John York said:

D'you mind John?!!!  I come from the east end of London and the fish and chips sold and wrapped in old newspapers, specially the Daily Mirror with 'Jane' on the next to last page was the best!  

Ah -----Jane  -not forgetting page 3 - the old copies we got out in Cyprus and Egypt were used for much more than fish and chips :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2