17,500 feet on a Paramotor

adambar

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Interesting but a bit confusing. Isn't hypoxia a real danger above 10,000'? This fellow doesn't seem to be using supplementary oxygen.

I don't think hypoxia is a real issue until around 15,000 feet or so. Not 100% sure, but I know that here in Colorado, there are several peaks that are a little over 14,000 feet. I have gone on hiking and Jeepin' trips to the peaks of several 14'ers as we call them here with no breathing issues or other symptoms. Of course, I live at 6200', so that helps my body stay acclimated. But, lots of tourists come from all over to hike and Jeep to the top of the 14'ers. As long as you hydrate well days before and during, are in good health, and properly plan your hike/trip, there are no problems. Now, at 17,000 feet, I am sure it's probably a bit tougher. You look at people who climb Everest, and they use oxygen. But the Sherpas that live there and climb it all their lives don't use oxygen. So, maybe it comes down to lots of acclimation. 

But, I am no scientist ;) 

Landon

Edited by Sniper31
  • Upvote 3

Just out of curiosity, I Googled this question. A quick, first response was this...

"What are the oxygen requirements aviation? As a crew member, you must use supplemental oxygen when you're above 12,500 feet MSL cabin pressure altitude for more than 30 minutes, and anytime you're above 14,000 feet MSL. Above 15,000 feet MSL, you have to provide it to your passengers - and many aviation attorneys would suggest you make them use it.Sep 9, 2014"

More officially...

Federal Aviation Regulations and Oxygen Use (Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations) PART 135 OPERATING REQUIREMENTS: Commuter and On Demand Operations and Rules Governing Persons On Board Such Aircraft Sec. 135.89 Pilot requirements: Use of Oxygen. (a) Unpressurized aircraft. Each pilot of an unpressurized aircraft shall use oxygen continuously when flying— (1) At altitudes above 10,000 feet through 12,000 feet MSL for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration; and (2) Above 12,000 feet MSL. (b) Pressurized aircraft. (1) Whenever a pressurized aircraft is operated with the cabin pressure altitude more than 10,000 feet MSL, each pilot shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section. (2) Whenever a pressurized aircraft is operated at altitudes above 25,000 feet through 35,000 feet MSL, unless each pilot has an approved quick-donning type oxygen mask– (i) At least one pilot at the controls shall wear, secured and sealed, an oxygen mask that either supplies oxygen at all times or automatically supplies oxygen whenever the cabin pressure altitude exceeds 12,000 feet MSL; and (ii) During that flight, each other pilot on flight deck duty shall have an oxygen mask, connected to an oxygen supply, located so as to allow immediate placing of the mask on the pilot’s face sealed and secured for use. (3) Whenever a pressurized aircraft is operated at altitudes above 35,000 feet MSL, at least one pilot at the controls shall wear, secured and sealed, an oxygen mask required by paragraph(b)(2)(i) of this section. (4) If one pilot leaves a pilot duty station of an aircraft when operating at altitudes above 25,000 feet MSL, the remaining pilot at the controls shall put on and use an approved oxygen mask until the other pilot returns to the pilot duty station of the aircraft.

Maybe all that is too nit-picky for this thread. I agree with Sniper--people used to altitude have a different interaction with it than the rest of us. My question was just a sincere wondering about GA flying--I had always heard that 10,000' was a good place to break out oxygen if you are piloting a small plane. Sounds like there's some leeway there unless you are carrying passengers commercially. As light-brained as I normally am, I probably personally wouldn't notice a difference anyway.

• Like 1

This fellow, Chuck Wright, described the whole thing accurately: "INSANE!" Between the hypoxia and hypothermia it is amazing he made it.  I don't know what his altitude AGL was, but looking down at the ground between the knees gave me the willies.  Like flying in a lawn chair powered by a lawn mower engine, with a bed sheet for a wing.  I'm actually surprised that the little engine performed so well at altitude.  But as Rob said, fun to watch.

Ken

• Like 2

A fit young healthy person with a well exercised pair of lungs can spend several hours at 20,000', and up to half an hour at 25,000', as long as conscious deep breathing is maintained. I climbed close to 20,000' for two days at 19 years of age, and even had a cigarette before bed! The FAA regulations are for the most vulnerable in the normal range of the population, but many many people are able to perform at far higher altitudes than the regulations would suggest. 

• Like 1

There was sadly a mid air collision between one of these paramotors and a Cessna Caravan recently, in the Houston area.  It happened December 21.  Apparently the collision occurred in Class E airspace at around 5000 feet.  There were comments made in a video report I was watching saying that 5000 feet was high for a paramotor.  That wasn't indicated as a cause at all, just that being even that high was not the norm for these type of aircraft.

• Like 1