Today is MS2020 update date - an Important change to the MS Store

renault

Thanks. This may be a bit disturbing for some (all new things are disturbing), but I think it's a (minor) improvement in usability.

While I don't use the MSFS Store version I use some other programs from the Store.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pmb said:

Thanks. This may be a bit disturbing for some (all new things are disturbing), but I think it's a (minor) improvement in usability.

While I don't use the MSFS Store version I use some other programs from the Store.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael

Like yourself I use the Steam edition, so I don't worry about MS itself.

However, as a matter of course I always run the Store App before major sim updates just to make sure that my XBox services app(s) and Gaming Services apps 

are up to date.  I got 'burned" once on an update as MS2020 refused to run even though the steam update was flawless

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

Okay, trying not to be frustrated with Asobo...SU7 installed fine for me, no problems downloading or installing. BUT, after install, loaded up first flight, and everything is turned on now....taxi markers, POI markers, aircraft labels, and the stupid instrument HUD overlay. I know how to turn everything off, except, nothing will turn off that stupid HUD overlay. And, it's on whether I am in cockpit or drone mode. Anyone else having this issue or know how to turn of the friggin' thing?

Landon

EDIT: Figured it out...of course, they moved the Instrument HUD Cockpit setting out of the camera section and into User Experience section. Why? I have no idea. But there it is.

Edited by Sniper31
  • Like 3

And something else I just discovered. If you are a TrackIR user, whenever you PAUSE TrackIR (with a hotkey or button on your controls), that will now disable TrackIR in the MSFS Cameras control panel. You then have to open the Camera Options window and re-toggle TrackIR back to on for it to work in MSFS. The best part is you have to do this every time you pause TrackIR OR, if your TrackIR loses focus. <sigh>

Landon

• Like 1

Just like MS, changing things for the sake of changing things. And, of course, you have to use the Xbox app to do it.  I don't use Xbox, never have, never will.  L

Edited by Doc_Z
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, pmb said:

I read (didn't start yet myself) all assistance option were reset to "Easy", why ever. Reset them to your previous settings and you should be good again.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/610440-su7-things-to-do-when-you-first-start/

Kind regards, Michael

Yes Micahel, that is exactly what happened and what I did to get the assistance options back to where I had them. But, that does not fix the TrackIR issue. That is a separate, known issue...in fact, a known issue by Asobo and they still released SU7 with TrackIR not working properly. Curious.

Landon

• Like 1

Sounds to me like it is becoming more and more game than simulator.

Glad I haven't wasted any time or money on it (JMO).

I love comments like these , less people on the MS server's ; more enjoyment for me . My first impression on the upgrade is WOW , smooth as silk and the weather is amazing . Game you say .......... Not even close ; best FS ever !! .

Cheers

John

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

.in fact, a known issue by Asobo and they still released SU7 with TrackIR not working properly. Curious.

I guess this goes back to the issue of Asobo are somewhat directed by Microsoft and can't delay updates unless it's a major issue, which yes I use trackIR, but it doesn't really affect the core sim.

Hopefully a hotfix may address this (if enough pressure is applied) otherwise the next update, albeit annoying, updates are never to far away...

Edited by EasternT3
  • Like 1

I agree with you John, other than the TrackIR issue (which hugely affects me) the sim is smooth and performs great for me. I just rely on TrackIR so much that it is very important to me. I am using a workaround, which is a PITA. but I can still enjoy the sim until, hopefully, Asobo gets the TrackIR fixed.

Landon

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Shirley, you can't be serious.....

There may be a few niggles after updates now and then (only few for me, actually), but looking upon the big picture, this is the best FS ever for me, too, and by a wide margin. And I bought (and still have installed and fly occasionally) Prepar3D5, XP11, FSX, and AeroflyFS2.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

My initial experience with SU7

1) After a phone discussion with the Zendesk and further discussion with Malwarebytes, for the first time in

10 months I have had an absolutely seamless download. The root cause of the  dreaded looping on large files which I kept

experiencing was discovered and laid to rest.  For me this was a biggie :)

2) I have only had time to do some initial testing with default scenery in both DX11 and DX12.  Everything is totally normal in DX11 and 

in DX12 with all settings on Ultra I see no performance degradation.  This leads me to item 3

3) I know many of you out there turn "white" when folks mention driver updates.  I respect your right to hold that opinion, but frankly I am not interested

in having a debate/discussion on the subject.  Simply it is what it is.

In my case, because I was interested in both Nvidia NIS and DX12 I chose to update my drivers (496.71) a few days ago.  I am not fanatical  about updating

for every update, but generally I keep them reasonably current.  What I noticed over the last few days  with SU6 & DX11 after updating, I was enjoying the

smoothest overall experience  I have had to date.

I am seeing exactly the same behaviour with SU7 and especially with DX12.  

Here are two screenshots over the KSBA area with DX12

1-Screenshot-507.jpg

2-Screenshot-499.jpg

One aspect of DX12 that I noticed is that the  interaction between sunlight and cloud cover is completely different than it is in DX11. I have tried to capture

this in the second screenshot.  Whereas in DX11 when the sun went behind a cloud , you experienced a complete "blow out"  of any cloud definition, what I 

have been noticing is that the behaviour now is as close to IRL as going outside and looking at the sky.  And as many of you have no doubt noticed, the visibility

with live weather is now something which really has possibilities.

Anyhow these are just my initial experiences to date.  Everyone will be different of course, but  I thought that these limited observations may be of interest.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Okay, trying not to be frustrated with Asobo...SU7 installed fine for me, no problems downloading or installing. BUT, after install, loaded up first flight, and everything is turned on now....taxi markers, POI markers, aircraft labels, and the stupid instrument HUD overlay. I know how to turn everything off, except, nothing will turn off that stupid HUD overlay. And, it's on whether I am in cockpit or drone mode. Anyone else having this issue or know how to turn of the friggin' thing?

Landon

EDIT: Figured it out...of course, they moved the Instrument HUD Cockpit setting out of the camera section and into User Experience section. Why? I have no idea. But there it is.

I am an avid user of TrackIr too. So these are not really good news.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BradB said:

My first impression on the upgrade is WOW , smooth as silk and the weather is amazing . Game you say .......... Not even close ; best FS ever !! .

In which way the weather has improved John?

Edited by wolfko

1 hour ago, BradB said:

First off the haze is amazing , plus running in DX12 the clouds look even better . 

@wolfko

I agree that they have made progress with haze implementation. It is quite realistic looking.

This is just a little snapshot of a test I was running at KAVX earlier this evening.

What I'm noticing is that the impact of scene lighting appears to be much more realistic in DX12.  Considering that

this is just a very early beta, I think it bodes well for the future.  But of course "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

but personally I am quite liking the direction they are heading....

Better-backlighting-Flight-Simulator-202

Edited by renault
  • Like 5

@BradB  @renault

I have now read over there at Avsim and in the MSFS-forum that SU7 has introduced abrupt weather changes. Since I have been absent from the sim for the past few days, I haven't been able to check this by myself yet. But if this is true it is a major drawback. These smooth changes of Live Weather has been one of my most favourite features of MSFS. I imploringly hope that they sort this issue out ASAP.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 1

I did a few hours of flying last night in and around the San Jose area, and I did notice and enjoy the haze effects present. I did not notice any abrupt weather changes, but then maybe my weather was not changing. I normally use REX Weather, but I am waiting for REX to patch it for SU7, as I read that it does not work right now. Other then the TrackIR issue, which still is frustrating me when I fly, everything else regarding SU7 I am liking. The sim does seem smooth, but for me, it was already smooth as silk before SU7 (I have a pretty stout system and I run in 2k). I have not messed around with any of the new planes, but I don't know if I will as most of them are not my type of aircraft. The Pilatus would be the exception, but I already have the MilViz Pilatus PC-6, so doubt I will ever fly the MS one. I plan on getting some more flying in today so if I notice anything really good, or any other issues besides the TrackIR, I will post up here. 

Cheers!

Landon

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, paulk said:

DX12 seems to be a bit of a hit on my machine and slows it a little, anyone else noticed anything?

Yes me. 10-15% perhaps.

I think/hope it will evolve.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bullfox said:

I don't understand the need for the constant updates.  Its one of the things that me reluctant to step into MSFS.

It's also one of the reasons that PMDG and A2A aren't developing anything for it too. Its a program that is still in development,

that's why I have said in the past public beta testing !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Kodiak73 said:

It's also one of the reasons that PMDG and A2A aren't developing anything for it too.

They both do, full speed ahead. Didn't you follow the Q&A a couple of days ago with Robert as a special guest?

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Kodiak73 said:

It's also one of the reasons that PMDG and A2A aren't developing anything for it too. Its a program that is still in development,

that's why I have said in the past public beta testing !!

Are you living under a rock? PMDG have developed and released the DC6 which is highly regarded and very stable, and the 737 is very close to release based on current information. A2A literally said yesterday they have accu-sim ready and they are now in full MSFS development

We get it, you don't like MSFS and prefer to stick with P3D, that's fine, but don't spread incorrect information because you obviously have 0 clue

Edited by EasternT3
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/18/2021 at 2:07 PM, Kodiak73 said:

Sounds to me like it is becoming more and more game than simulator.

Glad I haven't wasted any time or money on it (JMO).

This is no place for trolls.

Edited by Seanmo

21 hours ago, Bullfox said:

I don't understand the need for the constant updates.  Its one of the things that me reluctant to step into MSFS.

You'd prefer that they don't fix things nor add new features like free airports and buildings. Gotcha!

• Like 2

No, that's not it.  Judging by what I read it seems like every time the fix something, they break something else.  Somebody made the comment that it s public beta testing.  

If Orbx comes out with a new airport, I don't have to buy it if I don't want it.  But its my understanding that with MSFS if they add a new airport or some feature I don't use I still have to do a mandatory update or I wont be able to run the program.  Is that correct?