P3Dv5 - I think I've tamed the beast (well ... sort of)!

Adam Banks

If you've been following my P3Dv5 rants over the last week or so, you will have seen that some of my major gripes have been to do with lighting an colouring. I think I've found a workaround that (more-or-less) gets me back (!!) to P3Dv4 quality ... more later ... here are the pics:

Even without my latest settings/fix, it was possible to get a decent shot - albeit a little difficult:

nzni-f35-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Now back to my usual scenery test-bed: NZMF. No Orbx airport as yet, but NZSI still makes a great job of the surrounding area:

nzmf-cub-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Water set to "High" for this one:

nzmf-cub-03-1350.jpg?dl=1

Now back up north ... to NZWR (which *is* compatible):
nzwr-anson-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

The shadows (and in the VC) are still way too aggressive IMHO:

nzwr-anson-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

Now for my "fix". Basically, with only 3.5GB out of 4GB available on my ancient GTX970, I'm going to have a real problem running P3Dv5 at all - owing to its heavy use of VRAM. Apart from constantly teetering on the edge of the DXGI Error precipice, I found that aggressive scaling down of display settings to compensate turned the sim into contrasty brown mush.

My solution was drastic (and bear in mind that this is just mine) - for *visuals only* - and was basically to sacrifice frame rate drastically to be able to ramp up display quality. ie. Not suitable for much else other than taking fancy screenshots, LOL!

For those interested, here are my settings. The ones I feel make the most difference are marked ***:

Display
===================
Resolution:             1920x1200x32
FXAA:                   Off                   ***
AA:                     4xSSAA                ***
Texture Filtering:      Anisotropic 16x       ***
Texture Resolution:     High - 2048x2048      ***
Vsync:                  Off
Triple Buffering:       Off
Target Frame Rate:      10 Yes - you read that right! ***

World
===================
LOD:                    High
Tesselation:            High
AA:                     4xSSAA
Mesh Resolution:        19m
Texture Resolution:     30cm
Hi-res textures:        Yes

Scenery Complexity:     Very Dense
Autogen Distance:       Very High
Autogen Veg Density:    Very Dense
Autogen Bldg Density:   Dense

Cloud draw distance:    60m
Cloud coverage density: Medium
Volumetric Fog:         Yes
Enhanced Atmospherics:  No     ***

Lighting
===================
HDR:                    Yes
Brightnes:              1.35
Bloom:                  0.00
Saturation:             1.06
Dynamic Reflections:    Medium
Dynamic Lighting:       Yes    ***

Shadows
===================
Shadow quality:         Ultra
Shadow draw distance:   Ultra

These settings can be roughly sp;lit into those that affect display/lighting quality and those that affect frame rate (typically the world+clouds+shadow settings). The trick is to be able to ramp up quality at the expense of frame rattes. Nothing new there ... that's always been the case ... but with P3Dv5 and limited GPU VRAM, you may need to take drastic measures!

I've always suspected developers has covered up sloppy programming by expecting consumers to throw more harware (and money) at the problem. Think back to what was achieved back in 1964 with the first version of "Elite" ... all in a total of 32Kb memory (!!). To read that even an 11GB card still isn't going to allow you the full range of settings is galling, to say the least.

I see some of the rants on Avsim go to over 36 pages (and counting) so I won't post any more discussion here at Orbx if I can avoid it ... especially in this SCREENSHOT area!!!

Adam.

Mitre fine shots, Adam, and a very interesting background description.

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

I've always suspected developers has covered up sloppy programming by expecting consumers to throw more harware (and money) at the problem.

This is exactly what I think. Especially Microsoft was always acting like this.

Looks like your on to something here Adam. 

I will try your settings, but could you advise re shadows:

What boxes are ticked for 'Send: & "Receive" shadows?

Bathemetry: Is it ticked? & how much water detail on the Slider?

Shot 3 obviously has shadow settings & water in play.

BTW- Simstarter NG P3D is out for v5, I can load the rest of my Orbx airports now.!

TM

5 hours ago, John Mac said:

Great shots and I feel your rant!!!

35 years a simming and still fiddling!

These days, I think I enjoy the fiddling more than the actual simming. I mean - where would be the challenge? :lol:

4 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Great looking shots. Amazing details.

Thanks, Eberhard. I hope you manage to score a cheap upgrade for your card with all this economic turmoil.

4 hours ago, jean marc said:

Beautiful and fantastic first one Adam...I have an old PC with Gtx970 too and get great improvements with the use of ssd nvme :) 

You'll need to be very careful with that 970 ... only 3.5GB VRAM. It's a bit of a struggle!!!

2 hours ago, Richard Lincoln said:

The 3rd shot is in the top 3 I have ever seen

Thanks, Richard! With all the fuss I've lost track of making sure I snap a few hopefuls for this month's screenshot comp. Looks like I may have a candidate!

2 hours ago, rick66 said:

Fantastic Adam, I`m heading to NZQN tonight for a short hop over to Milford.. can`t wait to try it out myself! The water looks amazing.

Orbx NZSI around Milford has always been a total gem (even without the icing on the cake - NZMF). So much beauty crammed into such a tiny area. I've yet to see it in RL but it's in my bucket list (if we survive the current crisis, that is!).

1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

I will try your settings, but could you advise re shadows:

What boxes are ticked for 'Send: & "Receive" shadows?

Bathemetry: Is it ticked? & how much water detail on the Slider?

BTW- Simstarter NG P3D is out for v5, I can load the rest of my Orbx airports now.!

Well ... you should know my mantra by now ;) ... "blow the frame rate - let's just tick every box and slide everything to the right!". Not sure how I ever got away with it in P3Dv4, but it's definitely not on the cards in P3Dv5. As far as shadows go - I have everything ticked (cast and receive) except "particles" as I feel I need tree/autogen shadows to add some artificial relief to the terrain as, without PTA or TS, it's pretty poorly lit. I've never understood what the heck "no-flagged content is" so - rather than do what everyone else does and leave it well alone - I tick it, hoping that the odd object here or there may actually get a shadow (dream on!!). Bathymetry is only for subs, I think. Unless I hit the sea in a vertical dive (not uncommon, LOL) I don't think I need that one.

I stopped using Simstarter when it started getting totally confused by the Orbx Central symlinks/libraries system. I also add a lot of [freeware] aircraft via the add-on.xml method and it often lost track of those too. Maybe the new version is better all round, so I may update it and give it a reprieve.

37 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Fantastic Adam, that third one is amazing, it had me staring at it for several minutes.

Thank, Jack - I always enjoy your shots - even though I don't always have time to comment on them!

Thanks to everyone else here who's commented!

Adam.

Archived