"Route 66", at 9 a.m. with TINA

Stillwater

This will not be an unexpected journey (as the livery might suggest), but an uncommon one. Especially for a twin engine plane. From Christchurch...

m1jasbE.jpg

wzvsipL.jpg

... we are heading southbound over NZ´s South Island.

sxm9Itz.jpg

Near Dunedin this is Mahinerangi Lake, ...

big5Dwm.jpg

... and over Stewart Island we leave New Zealand.

vlFu8px.jpg

Time to reveal where we are going to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_route#Antarctica 

3YPX4WA.jpg

The problem of this route is illustrated here: TINA (= there is no alternate).

SB1rNQO.jpg

Instead, we can see the icy coast of Antarctica.

QLL7QNW.jpg

The only airfield around is Wilkins Runway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkins_Runway

zWsJSAG.jpg

Along latitude 66°S for hours and hours...

BLLnOmP.jpg

... but in local time we stay at the same hour that we departed in Christchurch: Just after 9 a.m.

qyIivIG.jpg

Even after turning north...

KW1NAla.jpg

... still the same local time. But you can see UTC has proceeded by 3 hours since the last screenshot.

AxW12tI.jpg

Finally landfall over South Africa.

Ef8OTQl.jpg

The aeroworx freeware adds a bit of landclass, ...

uOOIcvL.jpg

... but Johannesburg still has room for improvement.

jXiSt2U.jpg

And O. R. Tambo International airport is totally disappointing - though it is the most frequented airport of the continent. That´s what a 2006 simulator looks like.

bwnskT8.jpg

Some wonderful great circle navigation Gerold.

We often get QF planes going from Sydney to J'oburg pass over Mooroopna, I saw a 744 heading that way on Sunday. Two hours further west makes for a different route.

Anyway, a glorious set and these long distance flights are a great hobbit to get into.:wacko:

On 2/3/2020 at 5:26 PM, wain71 said:

nice shots of  great flight, thanks for taking us with you.....

Thank you wain!

22 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Great flight and shots Gerold!!!!!  I never though of flying from New Zealand to Africa by going over the South Pole.

Well it was some places I wanted to visit... and then I looked at a globe and thought about the shortcut...

18 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Great series!!! Whose aircraft+livery is that?

Adam.

Thanks Adam. The 777 is PMDG, and the livery was done by "goldstar textures" - I do not remember how I got it. Check www.facebook.com/goldstartextures

16 hours ago, TerribleT said:

What a grand concept - well done Sir!

Thank you TT. Can you imagine how long it took me to type in all these waypoints?

16 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Some wonderful great circle navigation Gerold.

We often get QF planes going from Sydney to J'oburg pass over Mooroopna, I saw a 744 heading that way on Sunday. Two hours further west makes for a different route.

Anyway, a glorious set and these long distance flights are a great hobbit to get into.:wacko:

That road out of the hobbiton really went on and on, Martyn. And the antarctic shortcut is only on the way from NZ, I think the Sydney-JNB flight is much safer with regards to alternate airports.

15 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice, but what a long flight.  How many hours?

Let me see, Jack... 6300 miles, should have been about 13-14 hours. I used PMDG time-compression and went away for catering from time to time...

Io7yKIM.jpg

15 hours ago, adambar said:

Wonderful captures of your flight Gerold! :)

Thank you Adam!

12 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Very nice flight Gerold that reminds me of my flights there. I thought you were going to McMurdo!

I hope you didn't violate the ETOPS 330 rule. Actually, I think you did. License revoked. :P

Thanks a lot, Captain Lars! I think with the Wilkins Runway around ETOPS 330 was still doable. I always enter the fixes during my 777 flights and try to get around without gaps.

19 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thanks a lot, Captain Lars! I think with the Wilkins Runway around ETOPS 330 was still doable. I always enter the fixes during my 777 flights and try to get around without gaps.

Never mind, Gerold, I'm such an over-nerd regarding the 777. I actually find it really great that you do this kind of flights with the 777 and with ProATC-X. Keep it on!

7 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Never mind, Gerold, I'm such an over-nerd regarding the 777. I actually find it really great that you do this kind of flights with the 777 and with ProATC-X. Keep it on!

I think thia routing was indeed quite special. Let us see what else we can find on this planet... ;)

7 hours ago, Caluma65 said:

Superb shots and journey!!  Cheers,

Calum

Thank you Calum!

Archived