An odd comparison: ORBX vs. Microsoft

bernd1151

Ok, ok, maybe I should explain the title, before confusion kicks in or you get upset with me. I’m not talking about ORBX vs. the upcoming MSFS; that doesn’t exist yet for us to purchase. I’m referring to the superb ORBX True Earth Northern England for XP11 vs. Microsoft’s Forza Horizon 4 (FH4), an excellent car game (at least for me), that lets you drive and/or race around the North Eastern part of Scotland (or what MS thinks is the NE part of Scotland), with Edinburgh at its center. I like both a lot, XP11 and FH4. FH4 comes with 4 seasons.

This little (did I say odd?) comparison covers only a small part of Edinburgh, but it shows, how well the ORBX scenery’s POIs can hold up against FH4, given the limitations, XP11 (and FSX/P3D) offer developers.

Let’s start with the main road that passes by the “Scott Memorial” and leads towards the “Edinburgh Castle”, which overlooks this fantastic city. I think I won’t have to tell you, which one is XP11 or FH4 :) . I (my avatar) drive the 1938 MG. If you want to see any picture in its original size, please click on it twice.

1.jpg

1a.jpg

And now a closer look at the Edinburgh Castle

2.jpg

2a.jpg

3.jpg

3a.jpg

I’m not sure, whether you can drive up with your car to the castle (I never tried that in real life), but also in ORBX, you can’t land on the area in front of it; you’ll sink in. So this is a look around both sides of the castle.

4.jpg

4a.jpg

5.jpg

5a.jpg

Away from the castle, here is a look at the main train station, the “Edinburgh Waverly”

6.jpg

6a.jpg

And the “National Gallery of Scotland”

7.jpg

7a.jpg

The next picture is a bit unfair, as so close to the ground, FH4 looks of course much better

8.jpg

8a.jpg

Oh, just in case you wonder, why my MG looks so dirty, well, I had a fantastic 25-mile cross country drive from my humble hut, before I reached Edinburgh :)

9.jpg

10.jpg

That is amazing Bernd, how interesting to see ORBX compared with a different game, usually it is a comparison with RL photos.

As your game takes place on the ground you would think that the scenery would have this level of detail, but that is not needed when we are whizzing by in our planes!

When we arrive at an ORBX airport however the detail really kicks in.:)

OMG, these cars are driving on the wrong side of the road! I will have to stay with flight simulation...

2 hours ago, lifejogger said:

To bad we can't have scenery like that in the flight sim.

I see the focus is different in our "game", and at the usual speed of a plane scenery still needs some FPS. But given a few years, imagine what we might get?

simply mind blowin', @bernd1151

you have carefully compared large environment scenarios - very pertinent...

i mentioned the graphics quality of Forza 7 to JV a while ago - & he pointed out the obvious large resources that Microsoft has...

with a 'glass half full' approach - i still believe that Orbx has lots to offer (& right now) & you cannot do proper VR in Forza Horizon 4...

(still waiting for XP TE NorCal to be available for $purchase)...

cheers,

craig

17 hours ago, lifejogger said:

I would have to say the car scenery is the best I have ever seen, looks like the real thing.  To bad we can't have scenery like that in the flight sim.

Many thanks, John. I think the amount of GB/TB needed for this would blow our mind :D

17 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

That is amazing Bernd, how interesting to see ORBX compared with a different game, usually it is a comparison with RL photos.

As your game takes place on the ground you would think that the scenery would have this level of detail, but that is not needed when we are whizzing by in our planes!

When we arrive at an ORBX airport however the detail really kicks in.:)

Many thanks Martyn and you are right about the ORBX airports

16 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

I'm stunned by the clarity of the Forza shots.

Is it Xbox only, or can you run it on a PC?

TTM

4 hours ago, jean marc said:

Great comparison :) amazing photo realism of  Forza Horizon 4 that I did not know : it seems great !! Do you drive with a flight yoke & pedals ? Thank you very much for this post Bernd O0

Hi TTM and Jean Marc, you can run it on both, the XBox and your PC. I personally run it on my XBox, hooked up to my TV in my study:

1.jpg

If I don't use it, I just push the set-up to the side. I haven't tried it with my yoke, Jean Marc. But I think, this should be possible. But it's more fun with a proper steering wheel, with paddles, where you can change gears.

16 hours ago, olderndirt said:

As a former resident of Edinburgh, the game looks amazingly real and I love the little 'TC' - I think it is.

Thanks a lot, OnD. The MG is a 1938 TA, the TC came out after WWII, but looks almost identical

15 hours ago, oldboy43 said:

Hopefully I will learn (76) that even the flight simulator will look like HF4, thank you bernd.

cheers

Karoly

Many thanks, Karoly

15 hours ago, Stillwater said:

OMG, these cars are driving on the wrong side of the road! I will have to stay with flight simulation...

I see the focus is different in our "game", and at the usual speed of a plane scenery still needs some FPS. But given a few years, imagine what we might get?

Thanks, Gerold. I think, if we really try, we could even get used to driving on the wrong side of the road :D And this "game" is so addictive, I really don't mind

14 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Wow, all I can say is wow!

Thanks, buddy, this is, what I usually say too, when I drive around the countryside :)

12 hours ago, BradB said:

Heck of a post Bernd .

Thanks a lot, my dear friend

9 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Fantastic set of shots

John

Many thanks, John 

9 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

simply mind blowin', @bernd1151

you have carefully compared large environment scenarios - very pertinent...

i mentioned the graphics quality of Forza 7 to JV a while ago - & he pointed out the obvious large resources that Microsoft has...

with a 'glass half full' approach - i still believe that Orbx has lots to offer (& right now) & you cannot do proper VR in Forza Horizon 4...

(still waiting for XP TE NorCal to be available for $purchase)...

cheers,

craig

Thank you so much, Craig

7 hours ago, adambar said:

Amazing! :)

I'm happy, you like them, Adam

Wow fantastic installation ... A great collection of cars ... Really pleasant for the ambiance :) Well sure I will look for this new kind of sim   -- you last shot in the post is what exactly how I would like to drive : old car in beautiful Scotish roads :) Thanks again

8 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Only 1 thing missing, the racing seat:)

:lol:

13 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Thanks a lot, OnD. The MG is a 1938 TA, the TC came out after WWII, but looks almost identical

A room mate at College had a '53 TD and let me give it a go - what fun.  I like your car collection - the Caddy looks a little out of place :).

On 11/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, TigerTigerM said:

Only 1 thing missing, the racing seat

I fully agree, TTM :)

19 hours ago, olderndirt said:

the Caddy looks a little out of place 

Hahaha, I have moved it to another cabinet now :)

3 hours ago, JOE DYGAN said:

Incredible outstanding mega stunning super great comparison shots originality. Really, I like the idea :o !!! And the house too ^_^...

Sorry for my english... I'm french...

Cheers :D !

Merci beaucoup, cher Joe

Archived