Want a sharper image? (New nVidia driver from Nov 2019) - Image Sharpening function

flying_fish

If you have an Nvidia graphics card there is a new feature available on the last couple of drivers that improves the quality of the screen image quite a bit.

The latest v441.12 for the 1070 for example has a new setting in  the 'Manage 3D settings' in the control panel called 'Image sharpening. By default it is set to off. Whemn on it certainly sharpens the quality on my monitor.  No point posting comparison images as the resolution for uploads does not show the improvement. Believe me it is worth a look!

All explained here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/geforce-gtx-16-series-super-game-ready-driver/ 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flying_fish said:

If you have an Nvidia graphics card there is a new feature available on the last couple of drivers that improves the quality of the screen image quite a bit.

The latest v441.12 for the 1070 for example has a new setting in  the 'Manage 3D settings' in the control panel called 'Image sharpening. By default it is set to off. Whemn on it certainly sharpens the quality on my monitor.  No point posting comparison images as the resolution for uploads does not show the improvement. Believe me it is worth a look!

All explained here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/geforce-gtx-16-series-super-game-ready-driver/ 

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Hey Andy , thanks for the info . Quick question - what did you set your GPU scaling at ? .

John

Hi Andy

Its a great suggestion and works very well for DX .. games. At the moment it doesn't work for OpenGL/Vulkan , but the release notes indicate that a future update will also cover that system as well. So for the moment FSX/P3D' ers enjoy, and those with XPlane - your turn will come as well:)

Cheers

R

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, renault said:

and those with XPlane - your turn will come as well:)

Cheers

R

and those with AeroflyFS2 - yours as well. :)

I have been using this feature for a few days for Prepar3d4 now and like it very much. I'm still experimenting with the optimum but something around 0.56 seems to be a good start indeed.

Kind regards, Michael

(Sorry for "reporting" Johns (BradB) post above - this was just a wrong mouse click.)

Edited by pmb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shermank said:

Is this going to work on an older card, for instance GF760?

Not sure.... but if you install the latest driver for your card, which I think is the 352.63 (in beta) you can then check if the feature is available in Nvidia control.

It's available here: https://www.geforce.com/drivers 

4 hours ago, flying_fish said:

Not sure.... but if you install the latest driver for your card, which I think is the 352.63 (in beta) you can then check if the feature is available in Nvidia control.

It's available here: https://www.geforce.com/drivers 

Latest is 11/04/2019.......Ver. 441.2.

It has the sharpness capability.

It really does work, particularly on global trees and the latest Orbx buildings release.

Dont really know why.

My system reports the 441 driver is incompatible..I did install the latest from the 300 series, but it does not offer the sharpening option. However, I am generally satisfied with how things look using existing resources to fine tune 

sherm

16 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

Dont really know why.

Nvidia are keeping pace with AMD; I suspect it's the same (or similar) to the AMD Radeon image sharpening (RIS) which has been available since the summer.  If you really want to know there is an explanation of that tech here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNHggz8BdI 

• 2 weeks later...

H Guys,

Stumbled acroos this thread (Note to self must check this forum more often)

I have a 1070  so set the sharpen image to On and setting of .56 and al I an say is WOW!!...

Completely breathed new life into my graphics card and made my imag much clearr.

Thank you for this lovely little tip

Dave

I have been using this since the driver release several weeks ago, and I am still awed by the effects every time I fire up P3D 4.5 :) All my Orbx scenery looks so much better, all my A2A cockpits look clearer, sharper and more alive, AND the sim runs smoother as well! Nvidia definitely hit a home run with these new options/effects.

On 11/29/2019 at 3:29 AM, renault said:

I've provided a little more detail on the approach in the XPlane 11 , Tips & Techniques Section

Cheers

Renault

What is this box above which says I do not have permission to view content? Can an admin or anyone else explain? Thanks...btw, I really am over 21...:-)

Sherm

1 hour ago, Empire said:

I didn't even know until I seen this thread LOL thanks. I have to play around to I get it set to how I like it 

I had ti turn it off, it was just looks so bad on every day software like OBS and projectfly, text not easy to read. It doesn't do it for games but rather everything that you look at