Want a sharper image? (New nVidia driver from Nov 2019) - Image Sharpening function

flying_fish

Hello Empire,

I fell into the same trap as you have.

Instead of setting the sharpening in the Global setting, use the Program Settings tab

and set the sharpening for the exe file in question, fsx.exe, Prepar3D.exe, X-Plane.exe

and so on.

Then the sharpening will be applied to the game only and leave the rest of your

software as it was.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Empire,

Instead of setting the sharpening in the Global setting, use the Program Settings tab

and set the sharpening for the exe file in question, fsx.exe, Prepar3D.exe, X-Plane.exe

and so on.

software as it was.

As ever, Nick has beaten me to it! Just to confirm that his suggestion works perfectly :)

Adam.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Empire,

and so on.

software as it was.

Yeah, I seen that option and I will apply to it. They might release the next drivers that will improve it as when I flick to and from different camera angles you can see the sharpening flicking dots. But fixing the fsx.cfg as it's still reading the old GPU :wacko: 

6 minutes ago, Empire said:

Yeah, I seen that option and I will apply to it. They might release the next drivers that will improve it as when I flick to and from different camera angles you can see the sharpening flicking dots. But fixing the fsx.cfg as it's still reading the old GPU :wacko: 

Hello Empire

If your changes to fsx.cfg don't help as much as you would like, you might try reducing the sharpening setting and increasing the film grain setting to see if you can reduce/eliminate the "sharpening flicking dots".

Sharpening is very much an exercise in moderation & fine adjustments -  too much can introduce any number of artifacts. And ultimately sometimes it can't be reduced to a satisfactory level, in which case you might have to decide whether to use it or not.

Renault

• 4 months later...

Hi folks,

one question please: What are your experiences regarding the use of the sharpening Option? Does it reduce the frame-rate on your systems?

Thanks best and happy easter to everyone.

Best regards

Christian

Edited by ChriKa

Hi all,

after reading this latest post, I did a google search for best NVCP settings with P3D. I found an interesting thread at Avsim...

Among dozens of posts, one was particularly intriguing. It recommended setting Sharpening to .56, but leaving the granular setting at default .17.

i booted up, flying the A2A Cessna 182 around KSBA, Using Active Sky, PTA  and  Adam's 2.67 .ini file for the shaders.

i did not take a screen shot, but I was astounded at the huge difference I found by boosting sharpening to .56 from default .50. There were no stutters, I had FPS at 60, no Vsync and most of the other default settings for P3D. 
In short, richer color depth,  Crystal clear sharp images, no stuttering, and my hair no longer falls out when I shower. OK, I’m kidding about my hair, but the rest stands. 

Sherm